You came across an awesome story while browsing your Instagram, but when you wanted to share it, you noticed that it was not possible. Instagram lets you share stories, but only in certain circumstances.
If you want to know why you can't share someone else's Instagram story, you've come to the right place. This article will discuss everything you need to know about Instagram story sharing.
Why can't I share someone else's Instagram story?
The main reason why you can't share someone else's Instagram story is that you aren't tagged in it.
Namely, Instagram allows you to re-share a story only if you were tagged there by the person who posted it. When you're tagged, you'll receive a notification that someone mentioned you in their Story. Once you open it, you will see the option “Add to your story”.
If you've been mentioned in a story, but there's no option to share it, there may be a problem with the app. Troubleshoot possible causes such as:
- Your application is not updated. If you're using an older version of Instagram, you may lose some of its functionality, including sharing Stories. Always make sure your app is up to date.
- Story has expired – as you know, Instagram stories are 24 hours long. If the story has expired, you won't be able to open or repost it.
- Violating Community Guidelines: If you don't behave according to Instagram's community guidelines, the app may block you from sharing someone else's story, even when you're tagged there. Contact Instagram support to try to resolve this issue.
Even though Instagram won't allow you to share someone else's story if you weren't tagged there, there are ways around this problem. Try these options if you find a story you feel compelled to share.
First, you can always take a screenshot and share it to your Story. Keep in mind that Instagram will not notify the user that you took a screenshot and re-shared it unless you tag them in the Story.
You can also use third-party apps that let you save stories and then share them. As you know, Instagram does not provide an option to save a story to your device. However, apps like the Story Saver for Android and Instant Backup for iPhone allow you to download a story to your phone and share it.
If you are using an Android, follow the steps below to download and share a story with the Story Saver app:
- Download the Story Saver app from the Play Store.
- Launch it and log in with your Instagram username and password.
- You'll see a list of people you follow and their stories.
- Tap on any of the profiles and you'll see all the stories they've posted in the last 24 hours.
- Select one of the stories.
- Press the arrow.
- The story will be downloaded to your phone. Find it in your gallery and add it to your story.
If you're using an iPhone, follow these steps to download and share a story with the Instant Save app:
- Download the Instant Backup app from the App Store.
- Log in to the app with your Instagram username and password.
- Scroll through the stories posted by the people you follow and select the one you want to save.
- Tap the record icon.
- Find the photo in your folder and republish it as a Story.
- You can also copy a story's link, insert it into the app, and share it again.
Send the story to your subscribers
Even if you can't share a Story, you can forward it to people you follow:
- Open Instagram.
- Find the story you want to share and tap the arrow in the lower right corner.
- Select the person to forward the story to.
- Press "Send".
If the person who posted the Story has a public account, anyone can open it. However, if the person has a private account, your follower won't be able to open the story unless they also follow the person.
Ask the person who posted the story to repost it
If you're in someone's Story and they forgot to mention you, Instagram won't offer the option to share it. In this case, you can always ask the person who posted the Story to repost it and tag you.
Why can't my followers repost my Instagram story?
Your followers can't repost your Story if you haven't tagged them. If you're not sure how to tag people in your stories, follow the steps below:
- Open Instagram and select the photo you want to share on your Story.
- Tap "@" and start typing the name/username of the person you want to identify.
- Repeat the process if you want to tag more people.
- Tap "Done" in the upper right corner.
- Tap "Send to".
- Tap "Share" next to "Your Story."
The person(s) you tagged will receive a notification that they were mentioned in your Story. They can repost it by tapping “Add to your story”.
Can you share someone else's Instagram Story without being tagged?
It is not possible to share someone else's Instagram story as your own if you have not been tagged there. However, you can share it with your followers via direct message. Keep in mind that they will only be able to open it if they follow the person who posted the story.
Alternatively, you can always take a screenshot of the story and share it.
Can you share someone else's Instagram story without them knowing?
If you've been tagged in a story and you share it as your own, the person who originally posted it will still receive a notification about it.
However, if you share someone else's story via direct messages with your followers, the person who posted it will not receive a notification. It's important to keep in mind that you can always check who has viewed your stories. So if you share someone else's story with your friend and the friend opens it, the person who posted the story will see their username under "Viewed".
Tell your story
Sharing stories is a great way to keep your followers up to date with your daily life. If you want to post a Story with your friends, don't forget to tag them. Otherwise, they won't be able to share your Story with their followers.
If you can't share someone else's Instagram Story, it's probably because you haven't been tagged there. There are various ways to circumvent it, such as taking a screenshot of the story and sharing it or using a third-party app.
How often do you post Instagram Stories? Have you ever had problems sharing them? Tell us in the comments section below.