There is no shortage of useful places to install a Google Home, Home Mini or Nest Mini. The kitchen, the bedside table and the living room are obvious and wise choices. But it turns out that settling in other unusual places in its habitat can be quite convenient. We tested five of them that we deliver to you in this guide.
A Google Home in the bathroom
Above all, we strongly recommend that you place your connected speaker either on the wall or on a shelf away from the sink, bathtub or shower. Here are some benefits of having a Google Home in your bathroom:
- While getting ready for the start or end of the day, you can listen to music, news, podcasts or check the weather;
- Set toothbrushing timers (“OK, Google, set a two-minute timer”) for you and your children;
- Time your shower, either with a timer or an alarm (or even by simply asking “Hey Google, what time is it?”) so you don't run late and/or keep your water usage under control;
- Talk to other members of your household using the broadcast feature. Say "OK, Google, broadcast", followed by your message and all Google speakers in your home will broadcast the message. Replies will only be forwarded to the device sending the message.
A Google Home in the garage with the car
Even if you usually only spend a few minutes each day in your garage, there are ways to get the most out of it. For example, with a Google Home in the garage, you can:
- Turn off your lights or other connected devices in the house before you leave (and turn them on when you return);
- Know if it's going to rain while you're on the move (so you can take an umbrella);
- If you have an automated and connected garage door, open and close it by voice;
- Inquire about traffic conditions and travel time before leaving by asking, "Hey Google, how long will it take me to get to [destination]."
A Nest Hub on your desk next to the computer
At first glance, the idea of installing a connected screen right next to your computer may seem bizarre. Here is why it can be quite practical:
- You will be able to listen to music, radio, podcasts, control your connected devices without interrupting what you are doing on the computer;
- Activate the photo frame mode and enjoy your photos scrolling in a slideshow. We've already said how great the Nest Hub and Nest Hub Max are in this function;
- Check the time, weather and your notifications.