While Instagram started out as a simple photo sharing app, it has grown into a very flexible platform with a number of powerful features that are entertaining and fun to use.
One such feature is the Direct Messages (DM) feature, which was added in late 2013. Since then, DMs have become a go-to communication standard for heavy social media users.
For those of you who have been through the agony of waiting a seemingly endless amount of time for a response to a DM, it is possible to ease at least some of the pain of waiting.
In this article, I will show you how to know if your Instagram direct message has been read. While it won't help you get a response sooner, at least you'll know the other party is aware of your message. I'll also teach you how to reverse script as we discuss how to prevent people from knowing whether you received their messages or not.
How to Use Instagram Direct Messaging
If you've never used Instagram DMs, let's first take a look at how they work.
DMs are very useful and simple (unlike other Instagram features, which require their own tutorials). Instagram DMs don't offer anything other chat apps don't, but integrating the service directly into the app can allow you and your friends to have a post-focused dialogue. images without having to switch between applications.
How to send a direct message:
- Open Instagram and connexion.
- Select the mail icon at the top right of the app. This opens Instagram Direct and displays a list of your Instagram connections. If you have DMs waiting for you, there will be a number on the tip of the messenger icon.
- Tap the person you want to send a message or tap the pencil symbol in the top right corner to just write the username of someone you are not connected with.
- Write your message in the text box. If you want to add photos and more, choose the options from the icons next to the text box.
- Hit Send.
Instagram DMs work more or less the same as messaging in any other normal chat app; the message is sent internally within the app platform (not externally like with an SMS message) and the recipient can usually see the DM instantly.
Another method of accessing the DM system is to view someone's profile. This is very useful when you come across a profile with content that you like or recognize and want to contact that person.
- View someone's profile.
- Select A message from the buttons in the middle of the screen.
- Write the message as you normally would in the box at the bottom.
- Hit Send.
Unlike some platforms, where messages from unlogged people are considered somewhat suspicious, Instagram DMs are always delivered directly to the recipient's mailbox. Instagram does this to increase the level of engagement among its users.
How to know if someone has read your private message
Instagram provides immediate feedback to tell you that a message has been read (or at least seen) by its recipient. If the message is private (one to one), you will see 'Seen' under your message when the recipient has read it. It works just like read receipts on other messaging apps.
Depending on the type of message and the relationship between you and the recipient, your read receipts may be different.
Assuming you follow someone and they follow you back, you'll be able to see their Instagram ID next to the "Seen" icon in the lower left corner of your post (as shown in the screenshot below). below) .
If you are interested in your group messages, you will see the username next to "Seen" in the lower left corner indicating that they have read your message
Do not follow
If you message a private account and they haven't yet accepted your follow request, you remain in the dark until the following status changes. When you send a friend request to one of these accounts, it will appear as a "message request" and it is up to the user to accept it or not. You will not receive any notification if they have declined your request.
Read messages while remaining invisible
There may be times when you're just busy and don't have time to engage with someone via DM, but still want to check their messages for important content with plans to respond later. Since you can't turn off read receipts on Instagram, you'll need to use a workaround.
Of course, Instagram shows your followers and friends your "active" status, so that's another thing to consider when dodging DMs.
Although the method for doing this involves a bit of effort, it's not too difficult. The idea is to disconnect your device from the internet before reading the message so that you cannot send a read receipt.
How to hide your Instagram activity:
- Open the Instagram app. Ne pas immediately open the DM when you see it coming.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and/or cellular data or switch your phone to Airplane mode.
- Now you can open the message and read it. This will queue a read receipt to send, but it can't send because there's no internet.
- Come back to your profile page or leave the conversation.
- Sign out then close the Instagram app.
- Activate Wi-Fi and/or cellular data or switch Airplane mode off.
- You can open Instagram if you need to, but don't go back into the conversation. If you do, the app will send the queued read receipt.
There are many reasons why you may not want to send read receipts for Instagram direct messages. This method works on Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and many other social networks. Use it well!
Instagram Disappearing Posts
For those interested in other cool features of Instagram's DM feature, you can send disappearing messages to your friends and followers. You might be wondering what happened to the message a friend sent you, or you'd like to send one yourself. This feature, similar to Snapchat DM features, allows users to send an image and automatically delete it upon opening.
To send a vanishing message, follow these steps:
- Tap the Messenger icon in the upper right corner.
- Scroll through your messages to the contact you want to send a message to and click the camera icon on the right side. (You can also use the search option at the top, then click the camera icon at the bottom left).
- Take your picture message using the circle icon in the bottom center of the app.
- Select "Show once".
- Tap on the “Send” option.
When the message is opened, it will automatically disappear. You will not be able to send a vanishing message to those you are not yet authorized to communicate with.
Can I turn off read receipts on Instagram?
Unfortunately no. The only option you have to read messages without alerting the sender is to put your phone on airplane mode, read the message, close Instagram, and turn airplane mode off again.
Can anyone see if I read his post multiple times?
No, there is only one read receipt and this appears when you read the message for the first time.
Why do I see a paper airplane flash when I've sent a message?
The paper plane icon that appears next to your message simply means your message has been sent.
Can anyone see if I deleted a message?
If you press and hold a message you've sent on Instagram, you'll have the option to "Unsend" it. Although the recipient has already seen and read the content, they will not be able to see it again.
Can I prevent someone from sending me messages without blocking their account?
While you can't stop someone from DMing you without completely blocking their profile, you can mute their conversation. This is handy if someone is spamming you or you just don't want to read their messages. Open the person's DM and tap on the person's username in the top left corner of Instagram. From there, toggle the option to Mute Messages. The other user will still be able to send you messages, but you won't receive a notification from them.
Are there other ways to know if your Instagram direct message has been read? Do you have any other ways to avoid sending read receipts? Tell us about them below!