If you are reading this article, chances are you will end up with a broken screen on your Android phone. Although phone screens are quite tough, one bad drop can completely shatter them. If you're trying to save data from your phone, keep reading this guide, and we'll show you how to get into an Android phone with a broken screen.
How to Access an Android Phone with a Broken Screen?
If you have a broken screen on your phone, there are several ways to recover the data. For some stages you will need additional equipment. The method you choose for data recovery depends on how cracked your screen is. Let's check them out.
You have a broken screen, the display is a little visible and your touch function works
It's the best possible scenario. If your screen is even partially broken, the best thing to do is transfer all your data to your computer, just in case the crack spreads and you need to replace your screen. In this case, you don't need any additional equipment except the USB cable that you usually use to charge your phone.
- Unlock your phone.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Tap on the “File Transfer Mode” option.
- Use your computer to access your phone and recover all your files.
You have a broken screen, the display is visible, but your touch function does not work
You dropped your phone, you can see everything on your screen, but your touchscreen isn't working. If this sounds familiar, there's a way to access your phone, but you'll need some additional gear: a USB mouse and a USB hub with an HDMI port. Here are the steps to follow:
- First, check if your phone is unlocked. If you are lucky and have enabled the fingerprint/face unlock option, you will be able to unlock your phone this way. If you need to unlock it by entering a password, see the following steps.
- Take your USB cable, connect it to your phone and connect the other end to the USB hub.
- Take the USB mouse and also connect it to the hub.
- Since you can see the screen on your phone, use the mouse to navigate, enter the password and unlock your phone.
- Once you have unlocked your phone, connect your USB hub to the PC.
- When you connect it, you will see a message on your phone saying "File transfer mode".
- Press it with the mouse.
- Your phone will now be connected to your PC. You can use your PC to browse the phone and save all important files on the computer.
You have a cracked screen, it is completely black and your touch function works
This can happen due to physical damage to your phone. How do you know your phone is working? You hear the notification sounds and feel the vibration. If you try to unlock your phone by heart, you also hear the unlock sound. Fortunately, there is a way to recover data from a phone in this situation. In that case, you'll need another Android phone, and we'll explain why:
- The first thing to do is connect your phone to a charger as soon as possible. Your phone should be on and charged.
- Take the other Android phone. Preferably, this telephone is of the same model as yours. Otherwise, it should be running the same OS version as your phone.
- Connect the other Android phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- You may see a pop-up screen where you need to select "File Transfer Mode".
- Remember where you pressed on the screen of this phone.
- Now take your phone and connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- Since your screen is black, you won't be able to see anything. Fortunately, you have practiced this on the other Android phone and now you know which part of the screen to press.
- If you have successfully connected it, you should hear a notification sound.
- Now you can access your phone from your computer and save all important files.
Notes: If your phone is locked using the face/fingerprint recognition option, you will be able to unlock it easily, since your screen is working. If you have a pattern that you need to use, try practicing it on the other Android phone before you type it in by heart. The same is true if you have a password that you need to enter.
You have a cracked screen, it is completely black and your touch function does not work
It's the worst case. Backing up data from a phone in this state is difficult, but it's not impossible. There are several things you can try.
Connect your phone to a TV
To do this, you need a USB mouse, a USB hub, an HDMI cable, a mouse and a TV.
- Connect the USB hub to your phone.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your TV.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your USB hub.
- Connect the mouse to your USB hub. If you have a Bluetooth mouse and a smart TV, you should be able to connect it directly to your TV.
- Turn on the TV and select the HDMI source.
- You will now be able to access your phone through your TV. You can back up your files, adjust your settings, or try installing one of the backup apps available in the market.
When enabled, this option allows you to access your phone through a computer with a USB cable without asking permission. As this allows access to your phone, it is disabled by default, and if you wish to use it, you must enable it in your settings. However, if your screen is broken, your screen is black and the touch function is not working, you can only do this if you have successfully connected your phone to a TV, so be sure to check the steps mentioned here. above before proceeding.
- Connect your phone to a TV.
- Go to settings.
- Tap "About phone".
- Tap "Software Information".
- Look for the "Build number" option. Tap it seven times.
- Return to “Settings”.
- Tap "Developer options".
- Tap the toggle button to enable USB debugging.
- Once you have enabled USB debugging, connect your phone to your computer. You should be able to access your phone and recover valuable data.
If you have the same Google account on your phone and your computer, you can access the account from the computer and try to save the files you need. However, if you haven't synced your phone, this method won't work.
- Open your browser.
- Type “Google Account” and open it.
- Access synced files.
Use of third-party applications
Some third-party apps, for example Vysor, can help you access your phone. However, if you hadn't installed them on your phone before you cracked your screen, it would be nearly impossible to do so with your screen completely dark and unresponsive. Also, these apps require you to connect your phone to your computer, and for that, you will need to enable USB debugging.
When it comes to these apps, most users found them too complicated to use, especially with a completely destroyed screen.
When nothing works
Tried all of the above and still can't access your phone? Unfortunately, it looks like your phone has been seriously damaged. In this case, the best thing to do is to take it to a professional who may be able to recover your data and/or replace your screen.
Better to be safe than sorry
Breaking a phone screen can happen to anyone. With just one drop, all your files can remain trapped in your device. If your screen is completely broken, it is very difficult to access it and extract files from it. However, there are some things you can do to recover your files if something happens to your phone.
It is important to keep your phone backed up. This way, you can keep valuable files and photos in one place. You can use cloud services like Google Drive and set up automatic backup, or you can do it manually. Moreover, you can transfer the files from your phone to your computer with a USB cable or keep them on an external hard drive or USB flash drive.
To prevent your phone from being damaged if you drop it, make sure you have a protective phone case and screen. These will help you protect your device and prevent serious damage to your phone.
The broken screen is a horrible scene
If you've ever had a broken screen, you're familiar with the feeling of dread when you think of all the files that may have been lost. Luckily, there are ways to access your phone even if your screen is broken. In this step-by-step guide, we have included several tips and tricks that you can use to extract valuable files from your phone. But don't forget: prevention is always better! Try to keep your data backed up at all times and your phone protected.
Have you ever tried to recover data from a phone with a broken screen? Tell us about it in the comment section below.