There are many ways to add a border to a photo. Plus, it's a pretty easy way to add a classier touch to your images. It can be done on PC, Android and iPhone devices using different software.
So, keep reading if you want to make your photo stand out or give it a physical vibe with an old-fashioned frame. In this article, you can find picture borders using different programs and devices.
How to Add a Border to a Photo in Photoshop
Photoshop is one of the most popular programs used for editing. Its popularity is due to its powerful tools and editing options. It is therefore not surprising that it is also often used for design.
So, adding a border to a photo in Photoshop is not only possible but also relatively easy. Here's how:
- Open the image to which you want to add a border.
- Make the background layer visible.
- Increase the canvas size by going to "Image" and then "Canvas Size" or just press Alt + Ctrl + C.
- Make sure the "Relative" checkbox is checked, add 1 inch to "Width and Height", then click "OK".
- Create a border layer by creating a new layer and dragging it under your photo layer.
- Fill the border with a solid color by selecting the border layer and filling it with the color of your choice.
If you're new to Photoshop, you might not know how to make the background visible. By default, when you open an image in Photoshop, it opens as a locked background layer. Simply click the lock symbol in the layers panel to unlock the layer.
You can add a smaller border behind your first for a more classic framed look. To do this, simply follow these steps:
- Choose the photo layer in the layers panel and click the "Add Layer Style" button.
- Choose “Stroke”.
- Check the stroke box and change the stroke settings as follows in the Layer Style window:
- Size: 10px
- Position: inside
- Color: set the color you want
Now you can also add textures to your border.
- In the Layer panel, create a new layer.
- Select the new layer.
- Open the Paint Bucket Tool by going to “Menu” then to the “Paint Bucket Tool” or press the G key.
- Change the tool property "Paint Bucket" to "Pattern".
- Select a pattern you like and fill the frame with it.
How to Add a Border to a Photo in Canva
Canva is a very user-friendly design tool, and it's a favorite for adding different borders and frames to images. Additionally, there are a variety of pre-made curbs to choose from. Follow these steps to add a border to an image in Canva:
- Create a new design or open an existing one.
- In the side panel, click on the "Elements" tab.
- Type "borders" in the search bar. To see the results, press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard.
- To incorporate a border into your design, click it.
- Duplicate a chosen item by pressing CMD+D (Mac) or CTRL+D (Windows).
Premium borders are marked with a dollar sign or a small crown icon. With a Canva Pro or Canva for Enterprise subscription, you can access an extensive collection of premium components.
If you like a border from a specific contributor, you can view more of their designs by hovering over an item in the editor side panel. Select the three horizontal dots that appear below the item's title, then "See more by contributor" to see more designer options.
To resize the borders, click to select them and drag the white circle handles on the outer corners inward or outward. You can also change the color of an element by clicking on it to select it and then on the color tile in the toolbar above the editor. Choose a color from the suggested palettes or click "New Color" to open the color picker.
How to Add a Border to a Photo from an iPhone
You can add a border on iOS devices without the need for additional downloads or apps. To do this, you need to use two native iOS photo editing tools. Here's how to start:
- Launch the Photos app and choose an image to add a border.
- In the corner, click on the “Edit” button.
- Select the three horizontal points.
- Press the “Mark” button.
- Once in the markup, press the plus sign (+).
- Touch the square in the item selections. This inserts a black square on the image.
- (optional) While the square is chosen, you can tap on the color options to change the border color. Select the small square/circle button in the corner to adjust the thickness of the border matte if needed.
- Tap and drag on the blue dots of the square to reposition the frame to the boundary of the area for the image border.
- Select "Done".
- Tap the "Crop" button, which looks like a square with rotating arrows.
- Drag the crop picker handles to match the newly created outer square border, then hit "Done."
How to Add a Border to a Photo from Android
Unfortunately, to add a border on an Android device, you will need to download an image editing app. PhotosArt is a popular image editing app available for Android and iOS devices. You can download it from the Google Play Store. From there, the steps to add a photo border are:
- At the bottom of the screen there is a plus (+) sign. Tap on it and provide the program with the required permissions to access your gallery.
- You will be presented with four options. You can select an option according to your needs.
- Open the image to which you want to apply a border.
- A drop-down toolbar will appear at the bottom of the window when the image has been loaded. There you will find the “Border” tool. Press it.
- A new window will open where you can customize the border color and width.
- The image will refresh in real time, allowing you to view the results immediately. When you're done, click the check mark in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You can save the image or post it instantly on any social media platform.
How to Add a Border to a Photo from a Windows PC
Microsoft Paint, a free tool included with every version of Microsoft Windows, lets you apply a basic border to any image. The app allows for a few frame customizations and you can add them to website icons and digital camera images. Here's how:
- Right-click an image and choose "Open With" from the options.
- Click on “Microsoft Paint” in the list of applications, then on “Open”.
- At the top of your Paint window, click the line tool icon.
- Select your border color from the list of available colors. Note that your mouse icon contains a line, indicating that the line tool is active.
- From the very top left corner to the right corner, draw a line. Continue drawing a line around the image on all four sides.
- Click the "Save" button when you're done.
Frame your digital photos
Adding a frame or border to your photos is easier than ever. Advances in technology have made it possible to have digital photos and digital frames for pictures. If you want to find inspiration for your photo border, you can search for photo frames on Pinterest. Or you can download one of the many photo editing apps that offer a selection of frames for your photos.
Have you ever added a border to a photo? Do you prefer photos with or without an added frame? Let us know in the comment section below!