Article updated August 16, 2022 to reflect current details on adding devices to Google Play.
Adding devices to Google Play is easy and you can do it on many devices. Even iOS devices can use Google Play. However, they cannot use Google Play games, which are exclusive to Android and Chrome OS devices.
Read on for a detailed guide on adding devices to Google Play. We will also cover other essential tips.
How to add a device
Whenever you open the Play Store app, it connects to the currently used Google account. You can easily switch between accounts in the app, but they must be registered on the device in order to be selected. This allows you to link Google accounts to the smartphone, Chromebook or tablet currently in use. This scenario means that you can register a Google account on any device and it will be linked to that device in the Play Store, thus adding a new device.
Now, if you were to access the Play Store in a web browser, any apps you choose to install will have the option to select devices (those in your Google account).
So, if you get a second phone, add your Google account and log into the Play Store app, that phone is now a new device in your Play Store account.
Without further ado, here's how to add a device to your Google Play account:
- Launch the Settings app on your Android, Chromebook, or iOS device.
- Next, you need to select Accounts (users and accounts on some devices).
- Then choose Add.
- Tap Google Services and enter your verification method if prompted.
- Enter your Google credentials (the ones you use for Gmail), tap Next, and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You now have a new Google account attached to the device, which means you have successfully added a new device to the Google Play Store.
Add a payment method
Note that you'll need to set up a payment method if you want to buy apps, books, movies, or TV shows in your account and on your selected devices. Without payment method, you can only download free apps and games on any device.
Follow the instructions to add your preferred payment method to your Google Play account:
- Visit the official Google Play payment methods website on any browser.
- Tap Add a credit or debit card, under the Add payment method tab on the site.
- Enter your card number, expiration date and CVC. Next, add your name and billing address.
- Tap Save and your payment method will be saved.
Switching between Google Play accounts is easy. When you want to switch devices, the process is a little more cumbersome, due to security protocols. Google will send you an email or text message notifying you that someone is accessing your Google Play account from another device.
Confirm that you are accessing the account, and you should be able to use your Google Play account on another device in no time.