CapCut is a video editing app that lets you create creative projects and videos that you can post to various social media platforms. It has several innovative tools like curves, effects, transitions, auto captions, and overlays.
The overlay feature is particularly useful as it allows you to add new layers in the form of photos, videos, stickers, text, etc. In this article, we will show you how to add a layer in CapCut on iOS and Android devices. We'll also give you some ideas on how you can edit your layers in CapCut.
How to Add a Layer in CapCut on an iPhone
There are countless ways to edit a video. Any video editing app will allow you to crop, resize and split videos. But CapCut has some very useful and creative features like 3D zoom, blur and green screen tools that you can't find on other video editing apps. Moreover, you can combine three videos into one, add stickers and insert text in one clip. This is where the overlay feature comes in.
By adding multiple layers to a video, you can create different grid designs or interesting projects that you can post on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter or any other social media platform. You can even add text above a video and create a short ad. The overlay feature might seem confusing when you first start using this app, but it's actually quite simple once you get the hang of it.
To add a layer in CapCut on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open CapCut on your iPhone.
- Tap the "New Project" banner in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Locate the video you want to upload and press the "Add" button.
- Trim and resize the video if you want.
- Decide when you want your new layer to start and pause the video there.
- Press the "Overlay" button on the bottom toolbar.
- Clip the new layer and make sure it starts at the right time.
The new layer is treated as a separate video, so you can edit it however you want. At this point, you can split, speed up and adjust the new video. You can also add various effects and filters. For example, you can add masks of different shapes and proportions.
If you want to add another layer above the first, all you have to do is make sure you pause the video at exactly the same time the first layer starts. Here's what you need to do next:
- Press the "Add Overlay" button on the bottom toolbar.
- Select another video from your gallery.
- Click on the “Add” button in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Resize the video by pinching its edges and dragging them across the screen.
- Edit the layer as desired.
- Select the up arrow in the upper right corner of the screen to upload your video.
- Tap "Done".
That's all we can say about it. From this moment, you can directly share the video you created on TikTok, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram or other social media platforms.
How to Add Layer in CapCut on Android Device
If you are an Android user, you can also use CapCut to edit videos. A cool way to use the overlay feature is to add three videos and merge them into one. Here's how it's done:
- Open CapCut on your Android.
- Go to "New Project" in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the first video you want to download.
- Trim and resize the video if you want.
- If the video has a 9:16 aspect ratio, rotate it to fit the screen horizontally.
- Go to "Format" in the bottom toolbar and select the aspect ratio "16:9".
- Select "Overlay".
- Choose the second video and click the "Add" button in the lower right corner.
- Go to "Mask" in the bottom toolbar and choose "Filmstrip".
- Place the second video below the first.
- To add the third video, tap on the “Overlay” option again.
- Choose the third video and upload it.
- Rotate it and move it down the canvas.
When you press "Play", all three videos are played at exactly the same time. Just keep in mind that your second and third videos can't be longer than the first. It can be either shorter or of the same duration.
You can edit each video individually or all three at the same time. At this point you can add new details. For example, you can choose different filters for the three videos. You can add a song or an animation type. You also have the option to change the speed of the videos, speed them up or slow them down.
What makes CapCut so easy to use is that you can do a lot just by tapping on the videos. For example, if you want a layer to stay onscreen longer, just tap the edge of the slider and drag it to the right side of the screen. On the other hand, if you want to shorten the duration of a layer, drag it to the left. Similarly, when you want to rotate a video, just tap on it with two fingers and rotate it.
When you're done editing your video, just save it by tapping the up arrow in the top right corner of your screen.
Have fun editing with CapCut
CapCut may seem complicated to use at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be editing videos like a pro. Not only can you add an infinite number of new layers to your video, but you can also edit each layer individually. With the many options this video editing app has to offer, there's no limit to the type of projects you can do.
Have you ever added a layer to a video in CapCut? How many layers did you add? How did you add them? Let us know in the comments section below.