Are you someone who needs to write things down to stay organized? If the answer is yes, then you've probably tried more than one of the note-taking apps available today.
While some stand out more than others, one of the more feature-rich options is Microsoft's OneNote. If you prefer creating digital notebooks instead of trying to keep track of pieces of paper, OneNote also offers impressive customization.
Forget buying fancy pens and markers; you can color coordinate everything in sections and pages. But if you're new to OneNote, the first step is to learn how to create a new notebook.
How to Add a New Notebook in OneNote on Windows PC
If you use Windows, OneNote is a free desktop application available on all versions of the operating system. OneNote is also available as a standalone application that allows local storage on your hard drive.
However, if you use Microsoft 365, OneNote is part of your subscription package. Regardless of which version of the note-taking app you use, creating a new notebook will require the same steps.
So, here's how to start a new notebook on your Windows PC:
- Open OneNote on your Windows PC. The last used notebook is displayed. If this is your first time opening OneNote, it will automatically create a notebook in your name.
- Click on the displayed notebook and a drop-down menu will appear showing other notebooks and sections. At the bottom, click the “+ Add Notebook” button.
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter the new notebook name.
- Click "Create Notebook".
If you have multiple Microsoft accounts associated with the OneNote app, you'll need to select which account to use before choosing the "Create Notebook" option.
It will take OneNote a few moments to create a new notebook. Once it's ready, you can continue adding content to it.
How to Add a New Notebook in OneNote on a Mac
Microsoft Office applications work very well with macOS, and many users rely on these tools every day. If you want to try taking notes with OneNote on your MacBook laptop or PC, you'll find that it's fully compatible. To add a new notebook, here's what you need to do:
- Launch the OneNote application on your Mac computer.
- Click on the notepad that appeared in the upper left corner. If you didn't have any notebooks, OneNote will generate a default one and name it by your username.
- Click on the notebook you see. A menu will expand and at the bottom you will see the “+ Add Notebook” button.
- A small new window will pop up when you click the button and ask you to name your new notebook.
- Select "Create Notebook".
That's all we can say about it. Your new notebook will appear among the list of other notebooks in the left side panel of the OneNote window.
How to add a new notebook in the OneNote mobile app
If you're on the go and love taking notes and writing plans, you can rely on the OneNote mobile app. It is available for both iOS and Android devices.
Using OneNote on your smartphone or tablet is similar to using OneNote on your computer, but there are a few differences in the layout. So, follow these steps to add a new notebook in the OneNote mobile app:
- Open OneNote on your phone or tablet. Be sure to sign in to your Microsoft account.
- On the screen, you will see the recent pages and the list of existing notebooks.
- If you want to add a new notebook, tap the “+” button in the top right corner of the screen.
- A new window will open. In the "Create a new notebook" section, enter the name of your notebook.
- Choose where to save your notebook in OneDrive.
- Press "Create".
After a few moments, OneNote will create your notebook. You can repeat this process as many times as you want. Each new notebook will appear in a different color for easier management.
How to Add Sections to Notebooks in OneNote
Creating a new notebook in the OneNote app is just the first step to becoming a digital note-taking pro. Each notebook can have as many pages as you want, but first you need to create separate sections.
Perhaps the best way to illustrate how it works is with an example. Let's say you are planning a vacation. Your new notebook could be called “Holiday Ideas”. Now, you, your family, and your friends might have many different ideas on how to spend your vacation.
To organize these ideas, you can create sections and pages. A section might be "Destinations" and the pages within might represent specific places you want to visit. So let's see how to create this outline using OneNote on your computer:
- Open OneNote and add a new notebook called "Vacation Ideas" by following the steps outlined above.
- Click on the notepad, and at the bottom of the window, click on the “+ Add a section” option.
- A line “New section 1” will appear, and next to it, “Untitled page”. Right-click "New Section 1" and select "Rename Section" from the drop-down menu. You can put "Our country" for example.
- Now right-click on the “Untitled Page” option and also choose “Rename Page”. A corresponding example would be "your city".
If you want to add other places, you can click on the “+ Add page” option at the bottom of the screen and add other places you would like to visit in Our country.
Additionally, you can create subpages that can represent even more specific locations, such as "Eiffel Tower." Simply create a new page, right click and select "Create Subpage".
Similarly, a new section may represent an entirely different destination. Different notebooks and sections are represented in different colors, and it is easy to follow them.
Use OneNote to make perfect plans
If your daily activities involve many different tasks, it can be very beneficial to write them down to remember them. Even if you like making long-term plans and jotting down your thoughts and desires, OneNote might be the perfect tool.
You can neatly organize each idea and jot down your priorities for the day. There's no right or wrong way to use OneNote, especially if you're already familiar with other Microsoft apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
It has a similar interface to those programs, so it will probably be more intuitive to use. Adding a new notebook, section, page, and even subpage is a simple process in OneNote and will help you stay productive and organized.
Do you use OneNote to take notes? Let us know in the comments section below.