When was the last time you printed a document? If you're a Chromebook user, you probably never planned to print anything. Laptops supported by Chrome OS are centered around cloud services and have almost no need for paper.
Still, there are exceptions, and paper hasn't quite disappeared yet. You may need to print out a Word document, movie ticket, or travel itinerary. So it's good to know how to connect a wireless printer to your Chromebook. In this article, we'll walk you through the setup process.
Setting up a wireless printer
Let's start by connecting your Chromebook to a wireless printer. The most important thing to remember is that your Chromebook and your printer must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Now follow these steps to add a wireless printer to your Chromebook:
- On your Chrome screen, select the time in the lower right corner.
- Then click on “Advanced”.
- Select “Printing” then “Printers”.
- Select "Available printers to register" and when you see your printer, click "Register".
- Make sure you see the name of your wireless printer at the top of the screen and under "Registered Printers."
In most cases, the process goes smoothly. However, if you are having trouble registering your printer, there are some advanced settings you can try.
- Click "Configure" next to your printer's name.
- In a pop-up screen, select your printer model and manufacturer.
- Click on “Add”.
- Check if the printer has appeared at the top of the screen.
If you cannot find your printer in the list of models and manufacturers, you can specify its PPD (PostScript Printer Description). All you need to do is click "Browse" on the pop-up screen, next to "Or specify your printer PPD".
You can also add your printer manually by adding all the information yourself. You can enter its name, IP address, protocol and queue. However, if you are trying to connect to a public printer, such as at a school or workplace, you may need to ask the administrator first.
Setting up the printer with a USB cable
You can always set up a printer with a USB cable in case you can't connect it wirelessly. If your printer is older, this is probably the best solution.
The process is pretty much the same as the wireless method. The only difference is that you need to connect the printer with a USB cable. Your laptop should recognize the printer immediately and you can continue with the adding process.
Printing a document
Once your Chromebook and printer are connected, it's time to print your document. It's super easy, just follow these steps:
- Open the page you want to print.
- Press Ctrl + p at the same time.
- Now click on the down arrow next to “Destination”.
- Click on “See more…”
- Select your printer. If you don't see your printer, click "Manage."
- Click on “Print”.
Your printer will immediately begin printing the document. But before hitting "Print", make sure all the settings are as you want. You can select "More Settings" to change the paper size, layout, etc.
Everyone has had printer problems – you press print, but the paper won't come out. Not knowing what went wrong can be quite frustrating. However, this is usually a minor issue and you need to go back to settings to fix it. Here is what you do:
- Select the time (lower right corner), then "Settings".
- Now click on “Advanced” and then on “Printing, followed by “Printers”.
- Click on the name of your printer, then on “Change”.
- Browse all information about the printer. Watch out for spelling mistakes.
If everything is correct, you can try removing and adding your printer again. Select "Delete" next to your printer's name and begin the setup process again.
And if you still can't print from your Chromebook, it's probably best to contact the printer manufacturer directly.
Leave a footprint with your Chromebook
Wireless printers are amazing tools that make everyday life more comfortable. People may not be printing as much as they used to, but we still handle paper daily. So it is very important to know how to connect your Chromebook to the wireless printer.
In most cases, all it takes is a few clicks and you've added the printer. Sometimes you may have to do it manually or even use a USB cable. If you encounter a problem, try the troubleshooting steps.
Have you ever connected a Chromebook to a wireless printer? Did you have any problems? Let us know in the comments section below.