The shift from physical CDs to digital formats like MP3s has fundamentally changed the way we listen to music. However, one thing seems to have remained the same. Like on CDs, we always have our music organized by albums which always had album art.
This cover is associated with the album. We as listeners tend to recognize covers and feel more attached to the album if the album cover is of interest to us. But with MP3s, it sometimes happens that no image is attached to it. Fortunately, this can be changed, and this article will tell you how.
How to Add Album Art to MP3 on Windows 10
When the big shift from physical albums to digital albums happened, the most used platform for Windows users to play MP3 was Windows Media Player. This program is still available and works equally well on Windows 10. Apart from giving you a nostalgic feeling, it also gives you a simple option to add album art to MP3.
- Find the MP3 you want to add a cover to and right-click on it.
- A list with options will appear. Select "Open with".
- Select “Windows Media Player”.
- When the music starts playing, the MP3 is added to the Windows Media Player library.
- Find the photo you want to add and right-click on it.
- Right-click on the photo and select "Copy".
- Open Windows Media Player again.
- Click on "Music" in the left menu.
- Right-click on the MP3 you have already added to the library.
- Select "Paste album cover".
How to Add Album Art to MP3 on Mac
While Windows users listened to digital music on Windows Media Player, Mac users did it on iTunes. In a few easy steps, you can change the artwork for one or more songs.
- Open iTunes.
- Click "Songs" on the left side.
- Select one or more songs.
- Go to “Info” then “Artwork”.
- Click on “Add an illustration”.
- Select an image and click "Open".
You can skip the last two steps by simply dragging the image to the artwork area.
How to Add Album Art to MP3 on Windows 7
The easiest way to add album art for Windows 7 is the same as for Windows 10 – using Windows Media Player. The steps are:
- Right click on the image you want to add.
- Click on “Copy”.
- Open Windows Media Player
- Find the album or song you want to edit and right-click on it
- Select "Paste album art"
How to Add Album Art to MP3 on Android Device
The shift from CDs to MP3s has also fundamentally changed the way we listen to music. Now you can listen to music anywhere from different devices. And since that time, we started listening to music from our phones while walking, running and commuting.
But how to add album art if you use Android phone to play MP3 files?
First, you will need to download a free app from the Google Play Store called Album Art Grabber. The app lets you add cover art automatically or manually.
- Open the Album Art Grabber.
- Import the MP3.
- Tap the song.
- A “Choose Image From” menu will appear. Select the import source for the image.
- Select the image of your choice.
How to Add Album Art to MP3 on iPhone
Unfortunately, adding album art to MP3 on iPhone cannot be done as quickly as on Android phones. You will need to launch the iTunes application on your Mac or PC to make changes. Do this:
- Open iTunes from your desktop.
- Click on the menu at the top left.
- Go to “Music”. And then “Library”.
- Right-click on an album or song.
- Select "Album Info".
- Click on “Edit” then “Illustration”.
- Choose the “Add illustration” option.
- Select the desired image and click on “Open”, then on “OK”.
- Now connect your iPhone via USB and select the device icon in the top left corner of the app.
- Go to “Settings” then “Music”.
- Select "Sync Music" and "Entire Music Library".
- Click "Apply" at the bottom right.
How to Add Album Art to MP3 Without Windows Media Player
Besides Windows Media Player, there are a few other options for adding album art in Windows. One of them is Groove Music which is the default music player for Windows 10. To add album art, follow these steps:
- Open Groove Music.
- Right click on the song to open a list of options.
- Select "Show album".
- Click on the three dots in the lower right corner.
- Select "Edit Information".
- Click the pen icon.
- Choose the image you want.
- Click on “Save”.
Another way is to add an album cover is to use the VLC Media Player. It is free to download and is one of the most popular media players among Windows, Mac and Linux users. The steps are as follows:
- Open VLC Media Player.
- Import MP3 files.
- Click on "Tools" in the upper left corner.
- Select "Media Information".
- If there is already a cover, it will be visible at the bottom right; right click on it.
- Select "Add cover from file".
- Choose the photo you want.
- Click "Close".
How to Add Album Art to MP3 Mac without iTunes
Like Windows PCs, you can also add album art using the VLC Media Player. The steps are the same as for a Windows PC.
For VLC Media Player:
- Open VLC Media Player and import MP3 files.
- Click "Tools" in the upper left corner and select "Media Info" from the menu.
- If there is already a cover, it will be visible at the bottom right. Right click on the art.
- Select "Add cover from file".
- Choose the photo you want and click "Close" to save the changes.
For the GetArtAlbum online tool:
- Go to https://getalbumart.net/.
- Drag and drop or search for the MP3 you want to download.
- Upload the photo.
- You will be redirected to a download page. Select the "Download" option.
End on a positive note
Adding album art to MP3 files is possible on Windows and Mac and on Android and iPhone. Not only that, but it is possible to do it in several different but still relatively simple ways. Keep in mind that the steps may vary depending on the Android phone, but the basic steps remain the same. Now you can let your creativity run wild!
What's your favorite way to play an MP3 file? Have you stopped using them? What's your favorite way to change an album cover? What is your favorite album cover? Let us know in the comment section below!