Roku has been a popular streaming device for quite some time now. People looking to cut the cord with their cable providers and enjoy an affordable, easy-to-use online TV experience find Roku delivers just that.
But did you know you can add tons of channels to your Roku?
This article will show you how to add apps to Roku to improve your streaming experience.
How to Add Official Apps to a Roku Device
Roku offers a cheaper and more convenient way to watch TV without cable. You can install channels on your Roku device that will give you access to all shows and movies from popular networks and platforms like NBC, CBS, and Hulu.
Installing new channels on your Roku device works much like adding apps to your smartphone. In Roku parlance, all apps are called channels, even if they don't broadcast live content. A channel can also be a tool that can help you get the most out of your Roku device. A great example would be Screen Cast which lets you cast video from your mobile device to your TV using a Roku device.
You can add apps to Roku from their app store in three different ways: by using the Roku Mobile app, by using your Roku device, or by visiting the Roku website.
Let's see how each approach works.
How to Add Apps Using the Roku Mobile App
The Roku mobile app presents an innovative and convenient way to enjoy your Roku device. With the app you can control your TV from anywhere in the world. It allows you to pause, play, rewind and fast forward as you wish. You can also launch your most recent channels just with your voice.
The Roku mobile app is especially handy when you want to add apps to your Roku device. These apps might include a new game for your kids or a fancy channel airing your new favorite show. It could even be an all music channel allowing you to enjoy authentic and soothing music from your favorite artists. Either way, adding apps to your Roku device has never been easier.
To add an app using the Roku mobile app:
- Launch the app.
- Scroll down the home menu and tap 'Channels'.
- Tap "Channel Store". This should launch the official Roku app store, where you can find hundreds of apps and tools. You may be prompted to sign in to your Roku account before the App Store opens.
- Scroll through the list to find the app you want to add.
- Tap "+ Add Channel" to add the channel to your device. If you want to know more about an app before adding it, just tap "Details".
- If the channel is free, it should be downloaded and installed on your device immediately. If it is a paid channel, you will be redirected to the purchase page to complete the purchase before downloading the channel.
The Roku mobile app is available for iOS and Android devices.
How to Add Apps Using the Roku Website
If you don't feel like using the mobile app, the Roku website is where you can find all the apps available for your Roku TV. All you have to do is log in to your account and add the app of your choice. Here are the steps:
- Visit https://channelstore.roku.com/ and enter your account information to sign in.
- Browse the categories to find the channel you want to add. If you know the channel by name, you can enter the name in the search bar at the top of the page.
- Click "Details" to learn more about the channel, such as its features and pricing information.
- Click "+ Add Channel" to add the channel to your device. Free channels will be added immediately, but subscription channels can only be added after making the required payments. All paid channels come with simple on-screen instructions on how to go about it.
How to Add Apps Using Your Roku Device
If you haven't installed the Roku mobile app and maybe you don't have time to visit the official Roku website, you can easily add channels using your Roku device. Here's how:
- Open the Home menu on your device using your Roku remote.
- Select "Streaming Channels" from the sidebar on the left. This should launch the Roku app store.
- If you know the name of the channel you want to add, enter it in the search field and the channel submenu should open in a few moments. Otherwise, browse the categories to find the channel you want to add.
- When you find the channel you want, press "Ok" to view its synopsis.
- When you're ready to add the channel, select "Add Channel". However, subscription channels come with a “Buy” button. Before the installation begins, you will also be prompted to enter your PIN if you have already created one for your Roku account.
How to Add Apps Through Downloader to Roku Device
You can download and install uncertified channels on your Roku device through the Roku website, also known as the download option. But first, what is the difference between certified and uncertified channels?
Certified channels are official channels on the Roku device, which the company has approved. Uncertified channels are those that someone has created but not yet submitted for certification. They exist because Roku allows developers to distribute newly created channels to a limited number of users for testing purposes. An uncertified channel is not available on the Roku app store and can only be downloaded using a dedicated channel code (e.g. PG184).
To add uncertified channels to a Roku device:
- Visit http://my.roku.com/ on your phone or computer and enter your account details to sign in.
- Under the 'Manage Account' tab, select 'Add Channel Code'.
- Enter the channel code provided by the developer, then select "Add channel".
- You will be prompted to confirm that you are about to install an uncertified channel. Once it's out of the way, the channel will be downloaded and installed on your Roku device.
All recently downloaded channels are added to your home screen on your Roku device. The most recent channel appears at the bottom of the list.
Can you install an APK on a Roku device?
The answer is no; you cannot install an APK (Android Package Kit) on a Roku device because Roku is a closed operating system. You cannot download and install apps that are not in the Roku app store or uncertified channel list.
However, some users were able to install APK files (which extend the functionality of the device) on Roku and run them using pirated software. This is not recommended as there is no guarantee that such hacks will continue to work with future updates.
Can you install third-party apps on a Roku?
Yes, you can, but you can only do that if the app is on the list of uncertified apps that the developers have submitted for approval.
What are the 10 most popular Roku apps?
The 10 most popular Roku apps in August 2022 are as follows:
2. Amazon Video
5. Disney Plus
7. HBO GO/MAINTENANT
8. PBS and PBS Kids
9. YouTube Channel
Improve your viewing experience
Whether you're looking for new ways to enjoy your favorite content or want to explore something different, Roku offers a wide variety of channels that can be added with just a few clicks. In this article, we've outlined the steps to add apps to your Roku device to enhance your viewing experience and get the most out of Roku.
What's your favorite channel on Roku? Let us know in the comments section below.