MyFitnessPal is like your all-knowing fitness best friend. It keeps track of everything related to your diet, workout, and weight loss plan. Your plan doesn't have to be to lose weight because this app is also a great companion to keep your body the way it is. You can also use it when trying to put on a few pounds.
The app stores your data in the Your Diary section. You can check the diary when you need to check your daily calorie intake, for example. Here's how to add food, workouts, and more.
Adding Items to the Journal on the Web
You can add foods to your diary using the MyFitnessPal site instead of the app. It's simple:
- Go to the MyFitnessPal website and log in to your account.
- Click on the second tab on the main bar: Food.
- You'll see all of the meals listed below, and you'll see the Add food option under each.
- When you select Add Food, the site redirects you to a new page. There you can add different foods from the site database. You can also add favorites, choose from recent or frequent meals, and more.
- You can also use the search field. Type in the name of the food and when the results appear, click on a food you want. Next, select Add Food to Diary on the right.
- Confirm and return to the Food Log page, and your chosen food will be there. You will also get information about calories, carbs, fats, proteins, etc.
Adding elements in the application
Android and iOS devices have recently received updates, so now there's an easy way to add anything to your calendar with just a few clicks.
- Launch the MyFitnessPal app on your smartphone.
- When the main page opens, tap the big blue + sign.
- You will see different items that you can add to your daily routine. Tap Food.
- In the pop-up window, choose which meal you want to add the food for.
- Type the name of the desired food in the search field or choose from the history. You can filter it in several ways.
In this section you can also create recipes and prepare meals from ingredients that you usually eat together. You can even add new foods to the My Foods section. You can add custom foods when you can't find what you want in the search box.
Note that you can describe the food to make it easier to find – typing in 'egg' may not be enough, but adding 'fried' or 'poached' will give you more accurate results.
How to add more items to your daily journal
The process is very similar to adding food, and the same goes for adding exercise.
- Launch the app and open the home screen.
- Tap the blue plus sign.
If you want to add water, tap the glass icon, then add the amount of water you've taken. Note that you can change units to ounces or cups instead of milliliters.
If you want to add weight, tap the purple icon and add a new weight. You can even add a progress photo for extra motivation.
To log your workouts, tap the yellow icon and select the type of exercise you did: cardio or strength. You can browse the existing ones or add your own. You can even see the most used ones.
You also have the option to add a status if you want to share your thoughts with others, or "write" what you think. Tap the green icon, enter the desired status, add a photo (optional) and tap the check mark in the top right corner to post.
On the way to success
There's probably nothing more motivating than seeing how much you've done and how well you're sticking to your plans and goals. It's just one of the reasons why MyFitnessPal is so great. Adding foods and keeping track of what you eat can be helpful even if you're not on a diet. We've all been in situations where we just run out of ideas for cooking. Here you will have everything in one place.
Have you created recipes in MyFitnessPal? What's on your list of most frequent foods? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.