VRChat allows anyone to don a virtual avatar and talk to other players using virtual reality. Eventually, you might come across players you like hanging around, and you'll want to add them. However, going about it in-game may not be straightforward for some users.
Fortunately, the developers of VRChat have made adding friends remarkably easy. Whether you're on a keyboard or own a VR headset, you can always add friends and respond to requests. Keep reading to learn more about adding other people to VRChat.
How to Add Friends in VRChat
Since gamers don't need to own a VR headset to play VRChat, you can also move around and control your avatar using a mouse and keyboard. We'll also cover adding friends using a VR headset, mouse, and keyboard, and both methods take no time at all.
Add friends using a VR headset
Since the VR headset has its own buttons and motion controls, you'll use a combination of buttons and pointing to navigate the quick menu. The quick menu contains many actions, such as changing your world and respawning. For our example, we'll use the Oculus Rift as the controller.
Here's how to add friends on VRChat with the Oculus Rift:
- Press the B Button on your right controller to open the Quick Menu.
- Point to "Social" and pull a trigger to select it.
- Type a name you want to add.
- Select "OK" when you're done typing.
- Find the right player on the list.
- Select the player's name.
- From the context menu, send them a friend request.
- Once the player accepts your friend request, you can see their name in the Social menu.
If you want to add someone in the same room, the steps are simpler.
- Open the quick menu.
- Aim your selection laser at the player you want to add.
- A menu will appear.
- Select "Send a friend request".
- Wait for the player to accept your friend request.
- If they do, their name will appear in the Social menu.
Since different VR headsets have their own layouts and button controls, we recommend checking them out first. Fortunately, there is a website where all supported controllers and default controls are listed. You can visit it here to learn more about VRChat control schemes.
Add friends with a mouse and keyboard
While VR headsets allow for an immersive experience, not everyone enjoys using one. Luckily, you can get by in VRChat with a mouse and keyboard. The steps are similar to using a VR headset as the quick menu has a nearly identical function.
Here's how to add friends using a mouse and keyboard:
- Press the Esc key on your keyboard.
- Click on the “Social Networks” option.
- In the search bar, enter the username of the player you want to add.
- Click "OK" to create a list of possible players.
- Select the player from the list.
- Click the option to send them a friend request.
- Wait for them to accept it.
- Your friend will appear in the Social menu after accepting.
If the player you want to add is in the same room, the process is much easier. It's pretty much the same as using a VR headset and pointing. The difference is that you are now on a mouse and keyboard.
These instructions will allow you to add anyone in the same VRChat room as you:
- Open your quick menu using the Esc key.
- Click on the player you want to add.
- Click on “Send a friend request” to do just that.
- When the player accepts it, the Social menu will display your new friend's name.
Accept friend requests on VRChat
Whenever a user sends you a friend request, VRChat will notify you. To accept or decline the friend request, you need to open the quick menu and act accordingly. These notifications appear as chat bubbles with an exclamation mark.
This exclamation can also represent an invitation by a friend to go to their current world and room. Be sure to check the notifications to see what's the case.
First, here's how to accept friend requests using a VR headset:
- When you notice the notification, tap the button to open your quick menu.
- In your quick menu, point to "Social" and select it.
- Accept the friend request.
- Now you can see their username in your Social menu.
For mouse and keyboard users, follow these steps instead:
- Upon receiving a notification, press the Esc key.
- This action opens your quick menu.
- Click on “Social” to open your Social menu.
- Accept the player's incoming friend request if desired.
- From now on, you can see them if you check your Social menu.
Alternatively, if you don't want to accept the incoming friend request, you can decline it. It is also possible to block the player sending the request.
How to Add Steam Friends in VRChat
Unfortunately, there is no way to add your Steam friends to VRChat. The only way to add a friend is to enter their VRChat username and search for them.
Although VRChat is on Steam, the two are not exactly interchangeable. The closest way to add your Steam friends to VRChat is to first add them to VRChat and ask them to add you to Steam.
As long as your Steam friend allows it, you can see what games they're playing right now if you check their profile. The status can also show VRChat, and if you see them playing, you can also connect and play with them.
Here are two main ways to add someone using the Steam platform:
Use friend code
The easiest way is to request a Steam friend code. Using friend codes allows you to add them if the friend accepts your request.
Adding people to Steam via Friend Code works like this:
- On VRChat, add your friend.
- Ask them to send you a Steam friend code.
- Launch Steam.
- Click on “Friends”.
- Select "Add a friend".
- Type or paste the friend code you received.
- Select "Send invitation".
- Once your friend accepts, you are now on the other's friends list on Steam.
Alternatively, you can send yourself quick invites. These will allow anyone to add you instantly, but they expire after 30 days and only work once. This process works like this:
- Add your friend on VRChat.
- Go to Steam.
- Select "Friends".
- Copy the Generate New link.
- Paste it into your friends' messages in VRChat.
- Once your friend uses the link, they will immediately be your Steam friend.
These methods are the closest way to add friends you meet on VRChat. Hopefully there will be a way to instantly add users on Steam directly to VRChat in the future.
Can you add me?
Meeting new players and making friends is part of the appeal of VRChat. Adding other users as friends is a relatively simple process, and you can do it with any controller. Once you become friends, you can invite each other anywhere to hang out and chat.
How many friends do you have on VRChat? How do you think VRChat can implement adding Steam users directly? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.