One of Instagram's most popular features is the ability to add music to Instagram stories. Instagram offers a long selection of songs from its music library, as well as the ability to import songs from other music streaming services, like Spotify. Ever since Instagram introduced the ability to add music to your stories — now even reels — people have been using this feature. In fact, Instagram is adding new tracks to its music library every day. This article will show you different ways to add music to your Instagram. It will also address some common questions and misconceptions regarding Instagram music.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Post: Third-party apps
To begin with, it is important to know that Instagram does not allow you to add music directly to your Instagram posts. You can only add music to your Instagram Stories and Reels. Even if you add music to a video you created on your story and upload it, the video will be uploaded without the song.
If you want to attach a song to a video and upload it to Instagram as a post, you will need to edit your video first. There are many free video editing apps and programs that allow you to add music to your videos. Once you are done, you can upload the video to your Instagram feed. One of the most feature-rich and easy-to-use free video editing apps is called InShot. To add music to your videos before posting them to Instagram, just follow these steps:
- Open the app and tap the " Video " button and press " New. » Select your video you want to edit from your library.
- Press the " Music " button in the lower left corner. To select " Tracks. »
- You can choose from selected music, import music from your files, or even extract audio directly from another video. Select your track.
- To change timing, fade, or other audio-related settings, tap the bar with the track title at the bottom of the screen.
- When you're done, tap the check mark. Then press the "Export" button at the top right of the screen. Select your resolution and frame rate, then press " To safeguard. »
How to Add Music to an Instagram Reel
Instagram released the Reels feature in August 2022. As it is a new feature, Reels are one of the easiest ways to post content on Instagram, including music. To add music to a reel, follow these simple steps:
- Tap the "+" sign at the top right of the Instagram homepage. Select "Reels" at the bottom of the page.
- Tap the "Music" icon at the top of the icon list on the left.
- Select the track you want to add to the reel.
- Use the slider at the bottom of the screen to select the part of the song you want to use for the reel.
- You can add music before or after recording your reel.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Story
First, we will go through the process of adding music directly from Instagram. It doesn't matter whether you have an iPhone or an Android, as long as your Instagram is updated, the process of adding music to Instagram is the same. This is how it's done:
- Open Instagram and go to your story. You can do this by swiping the screen to the right or by tapping on your profile picture in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Keep taking a story, whether it's a photo or a video.
- Tap the sticker icon at the top of your screen.
- Go to " Music " sticker.
- Find the song you want to add and tap it.
Notes: Instagram will show you recommended songs, along with different categories you can choose from (family, pop, bright, moods, etc.).
- Move the slider to decide which part of the song will be played (it can only be played for 15 seconds).
- Tap the thumbnail to change the album icon or to replace it with lyrics.
- Tap " Ended. »
- Drag the icon/lyrics anywhere on the screen.
- Tap " Your story " in the lower left corner to post it to your Instagram.
When your followers open your story, the song you chose will play automatically. If they want to see what song is playing, they can tap the title under your name and the song will appear in another tab.
Add Music to Your Instagram Story via Spotify
You can also add music from other music streaming platforms. In this guide, we will show you how to do it with Spotify. Again, this method is identical for both iPhone and Android devices. This is how it's done:
- Open your Spotify application.
- Play the song you want to add to Instagram.
- Return to your Reading List.
- Tap the three dots to the right of the song title.
- Scroll down and press " To share. »
- Tap “Instagram stories. »
The song will immediately open in your story, where you can make further adjustments. Once you're done, post it to your story. If your followers have Spotify accounts, they will be able to open the song in Spotify.
How to add music to an Instagram post the old fashioned way?
Adding songs to your Instagram story the old fashioned way refers to the way people used to add songs before the music feature was introduced. This is how it's done:
- Start playing the song you want to post. It can be any song from your phone's library or a music streaming app.
- Go to Instagram and open your story, while the song is still playing in the background.
- Start filming your story by pressing the record button.
- Make any necessary adjustments to the story.
- Publish it by pressing " Your story " in the lower left corner.
As you play your story, you will be able to hear the song playing in the background. What's great about this method is the fact that you don't have the 15 second time limit. You can save as many stories as you want.
How to open Spotify songs from stories?
Once you share a particular song from Spotify, you have the option to open it from your Instagram. This option is also available for your subscribers, who might be interested in the song you just posted.
To open Spotify from Instagram, all you need to do is:
- Open your story.
- Tap the "Play on Spotify" option under your name.
- Tap "Open Spotify".
The song will immediately open on your Spotify. Keep in mind that you must be logged in for this to work.
Notes: Instagram users without a Spotify account will not be able to do this.
What kind of music is there to choose?
There are millions of songs to choose from in the Instagram music library. When you tap the Music sticker, you can search for a specific song or find one in the "For You" section. You can also go to the “Browse” section where you have different categories:
• Genres – Rap, Hip Hop, R&B et Soul, Pop, Latin, etc.
• Moods – Bright, dreamy, groovy, peaceful, etc.
• Themes – Arab Party, Love, Family, Movie Soundtracks, Morning, etc.
If you can't find your song in Instagram music library, you can import it from external sources (like Spotify, SoundCloud, Shazam, etc.).
You can find virtually any type of music for your Instagram stories.
Some users sometimes encounter problems with Instagram music. For example, some songs may not be available or your music feature may not work. Here are some factors you should keep in mind:
• Do you have the latest version of Instagram? Go to your App Store/Google Play and update Instagram if you haven't done so yet.
• Do you have a Business account? Some songs are restricted to Business accounts due to throttling regulations. If so, you can simply upgrade to a regular account.
• You may be living in a country where Instagram music is not yet available. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it. However, Instagram Music may become available in your region in the future.
• The song you are looking for may not be available in the music library for legal reasons.
• You may be trying to post branded content.
Add your favorite tracks to your Instagram story
Now you know how to add music to your photos and videos on your Instagram stories. When you consider the different music apps you can use to add your favorite tunes, the sky is the limit!
Have you ever added a song to your Instagram? Have you used any of the methods described in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.