With Plex, you can stream over 20 movies and TV shows for free. However, if you want to watch something that isn't in their impressive database, Plex gives you the option to upload movies from your device and store them in the Plex Media Server library. Once all your movies are in the Plex library, you can access them from any device connected to this media streaming service.
How to Add Movies in Plex
Plex lets you create different libraries where you can store movies, TV shows, music, photos, or other types of content. With Plex Media Manager, you can create separate folders for different types of media and stream them to various devices, such as laptops, smart TVs, mobile phones, web apps, and other digital media players.
The good news is that you don't need to copy every media file to the other devices. Instead, you can access your entire media collection from any other connected device. To do this, you need to Download Plex Media Server to the device where you keep your media. Plex also needs to be installed on any devices you want to use to stream movies and TV shows.
When adding new media files to the Plex library, you must specify what type of media it is. This way, it will be easier for you to access it from other devices. For example, to add movies to the Plex library, you'll need to use your laptop or desktop computer. Here's what you need to do:
- Open your browser and navigate to the Plex website.
- Go to the "Login" option in the upper right corner to log in to your account.
- On the homepage, locate the “+” icon next to “Libraries” in the left sidebar, or click the “Add Library” button on the dashboard.
- Select "Movies" from the pop-up window.
- Type the folder name.
- Go to the “Next” button.
- Click the "Search for Media Folder" button.
- Find the folder that contains the movie you want to download to your laptop/desktop.
- Select “Add”, then “Add Library”.
It will take Plex a few minutes to add all the metadata for the media file you just downloaded. When you want to watch the movie you added, you open Plex on the device you want to stream it to. Log in and you'll find the new movie in your Plex Media Server library.
You can use the same method to add new TV shows or other media files to your Plex library. Make sure the media files you want to upload to Plex are already stored in separate folders, otherwise Plex won't be able to find them.
Regardless of the device you choose to stream Plex content, the laptop or computer where all your media files are stored should always be turned on as well. If for some reason Plex cannot find the movie stored on your computer, you may need to update your Plex library. If that doesn't work, just restart the device you want to stream from.
When you want to watch the downloaded movie, the streaming device must be connected to the internet. Plex works on almost all operating systems, but it may lag if your device has an older processor. There are other terms that your device must meet in order for you to use all of Plex's services. For example, you should have at least 2GB of RAM available, according to Plex.
How to Manage Movies in Plex
While the process of adding new movies to your Plex library is relatively simple, organizing your media library can be a hassle if you have a lot of files. Any changes you want to make to your Plex library must be made through Plex Media Manager on your computer. If you want to rename a movie that is already in your Plex library, follow the steps below:
- Turn off the Plex media server.
- Find the movie folder on your device.
- Rename it.
- Power the Plex media server back on.
- Go to the Plex library and update it.
Plex will automatically check for any changes made to the Content Library. You can use the same method to move video files to different folders or delete movies you currently have stored in your Plex library. The most important step is to turn the Plex media server off and on again during this whole process.
To delete a library, you can do it directly from Plex. Simply open the library folder you want to delete, navigate to the settings icon in the upper left corner of your screen, and select "Delete Library" from the drop-down menu.
How to Make a Reading List in Plex
If you want to organize all your movies more efficiently, you also have the option of creating playlists in Plex. Moreover, it will only take you a few minutes. Here's how it's done:
- Launch Plex Media Player.
- Find the movie you want to add to a playlist.
- Click the "Add to Playlist" icon at the bottom of Plex Media Player.
- Select "Create a new playlist"
- Give the playlist a name (for example, "Horror Movies").
- Repeat this process for all the movies you want to add to this playlist.
All your playlists will be displayed in the "Library" section in the left sidebar. You can also organize all your TV shows and other types of content into different playlists. Playlist content can be streamed in order or shuffled.
Adding movies to playlists can also be done on the Plex mobile app. If you want to know how to do it, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Plex app on your phone.
- Log in to your account if you haven't already.
- Tap your profile picture in the top right corner of your screen.
- Switch to "Library".
- Find the movie you want to add to a playlist.
- Go to the "Playlist" icon.
- Select the "+" icon in the upper right corner.
- Give your new playlist a name.
- Repeat the same steps for the other films.
That's all we can say about it. This process is the same on Android and iPhone devices. There's no limit to the number of movies you can add and the number of playlists you can create in Plex. All you have to do is download them to your computer first.
Watch all your favorite movies on Plex
Streaming movies and TV shows has never been easier. With Plex, not only can you add any movie you want, but you can also organize them into playlists. Once all of your movies have been uploaded to Plex, you can stream them using any internet-connected device.
Have you ever added a movie to the Plex library before? Did you use the same method explained in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.