Notion is an amazing tool. You can use it to outline work tasks, set reminders, create habit trackers, playlists, or jot down random thoughts throughout the day. But whatever you're using Notion for, sometimes you need to add an image.
Maybe you want to add a photo you took that day with a thoughtful caption to your journal entry. Maybe you're creating content for your blog and need a clear, high-quality image to go with it.
Luckily, Notion users have a number of ways to insert photos and images. They can also resize, replace, and even comment on images. In this guide, we'll show you exactly how.
How to Add Photos in Notion on PC
Using Notion on a PC offers the most benefits as you can access features such as image resizing which you cannot do in the mobile app. So how do you add a photo to an existing Notion page or database? Here's what you need to do:
- Open the Notion page where you want to add a photo.
- Use the slash command to access a drop-down menu.
- Go to the “Media” section and select “Image”. You can also type "/" and type "image".
- Another menu will appear. You can choose to upload an image from your computer, embed a link to it, or add one from Unsplash, a free stock photography website.
Whichever option you selected, the image will appear instantly on the Notion page. However, you must ensure that the photo does not exceed 5MB; otherwise it will not work.
Once the image is on the page, you can resize it by moving the left or right bar to the side and dragging it. You can also use the slider to move the image and place it in a specific location on pages containing text.
How to add a caption or comment to a photo in Notion
Adding a photo to the Notion page is a simple process. But you can do a lot more afterwards. If you hover over the image, you will notice several options available in the upper right corner. From there you can:
- Add a comment.
- Write a caption.
- Open the original image.
- Access the rest of the menu options.
If you write a caption, it will appear just below the photo and move with the image. Adding a comment lets you mention people, upload more images, and attach additional files.
The “original” button simply opens the image in a separate tab and lets you see it more clearly. Finally, the three-dot menu option allows you to view the image in full screen, duplicate it, replace it with another, move to another page or delete it.
How to add a photo in a notion template
If you're working with a calendar template or have an ongoing project in Notion, the easiest way to add an image to a block or column is to drag and drop it. All you need to do is:
- Take the image from a folder.
- Drag it to a timeline or block in Notion.
- Publish it.
The image will automatically turn into a thumbnail. You will have to click on it to access options such as view it in full size, replace it or delete it.
How to Add Photos in Notion on an iPhone
Most project management apps don't work consistently when used on smartphones. However, Notion has done a decent job of providing a user-friendly experience on its iPhone app. You can add photos in the Notion iOS app in two ways.
- Create or open a Notion page.
- Tap the image icon in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
- Take a photo or choose a file on your iPhone.
Or you can:
- Press the "+" symbol in the toolbar.
- Scroll down to the Media section and select the "Image" option.
- Tap "Choose Image" in the "Upload" tab.
- Navigate to the "Embed Link" tab or the "Unsplash" tab.
Keep in mind that all images can be up to 5MB.
How to Add Photos in Notion on an iPad
If you are an iPad user, your Notion experience will be broadly similar to what users have with the iPhone, but you will enjoy more screen real estate.
You should make sure to download the iPad version of Notion, though. The process of adding a photo in Notion via iPad works the same as on iPhone. So here's what you need to do:
- Open the Notion app on your iPad.
- Create a new page or open an existing page.
- Tap the image icon in the toolbar. Take a photo or upload a file.
- You can also tap the “+” button and choose “Image” from the Media section.
- From there, you can choose to upload a file, embed a link, or select an image from Unsplash.
Resizing of images in the Notion app is not possible. But you can tap on the image to see the comment button in the upper right corner.
You can also tap the three horizontal dots to see the full menu. You can choose to duplicate the image, display the original, replace and move it, or delete it if you no longer need it.
How to Add Photos in Notion on an Android Device
Android users also get the benefits of the Notion app, including the ability to insert a photo into any page.
The Notion Android app has the same functionality as the iOS app, and we'll walk you through every step of adding a photo. Here's what to do:
- Launch the Notion app on your Android device.
- Choose a page or create a new one.
- Tap the image icon in the toolbar.
- Upload a file from your device or take a photo.
- Alternatively, you can tap the '+' symbol and scroll down to 'Picture'.
- Here you will have three options: upload an image, embed a link or select an HD photo from the Unsplash gallery.
Whichever option you choose, the image will immediately appear on the Notion page. If you tap on it, you'll see the option to leave a comment on the image or access more actions through the menu. This is where you can choose to display it in full size, replace it with another image or delete it.
Build your notions pages with images
For some projects, adding images is essential. It's often easier to include a photo of your schedule than to create a full calendar. If you work all day creating tasks and filling out to-do lists, a cute photo of your pet's page might keep you smiling all day long.
This is precisely why Notion allows users to add images in several distinct ways and has even added Unsplash into the mix.
It's up to you to make the most of this feature, including adding smart captions or replacing that old pet photo with the newest portrait. Remember that the image size can be up to 5MB.
What kind of projects do you use Notion for? Do you need to add images? Let us know in the comments section below.