One of LinkedIn's newest features is the ability to add your personal pronouns to your LinkedIn profile. Keep in mind that this feature is still not available in all countries, but that may change in the near future. If it's available in your area, you'll be able to add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile in a few quick steps. Once added, they will appear right next to your name on your LinkedIn profile.
In this article, we'll show you how to add pronouns to your LinkedIn profile on your PC and mobile device. We'll also show you how to choose who your pronouns will be visible to.
How to Add a Pronoun to Your LinkedIn Profile on PC
To support gender non-conforming people and the LGBTQ community, LinkedIn now allows you to choose one of the following personal pronouns: "she/her", "he/him", "they/them", and "custom". In fact, aside from these three options, the most common pronouns on LinkedIn include "she/they", "he/they", "they/she", "they/he", and "all pronouns".
This feature is not required; you can always choose not to have pronouns on your LinkedIn profile. It is simply intended for those who are non-binary and do not identify with any gender.
According to a LinkedIn survey, 70% of job seekers on LinkedIn think recruiters and hiring managers should know what gender pronouns to use when addressing someone. Additionally, 72% of hiring managers also share this view.
You can add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile on the web app and mobile app. To do this on your PC, follow the steps below:
- Go to LinkedIn on your browser.
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Select the "View Profile" button from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the pen icon under the lower right corner of the background image.
- In the “Pronouns” section, click on the drop-down menu.
- Choose your pronouns.
- Under 'Visible to', choose 'Your network', 'Your connections' or 'All LinkedIn members'.
- Click on the "Save" button.
Your pronouns will immediately appear next to your name under your profile pictures. If you change your mind, repeat the same steps and instead of the pronouns, click "Please select" in the field. If you do this, there will be no pronouns next to your LinkedIn name.
If you go to the "Edit Profile" window and don't see the "Pronouns" section, then this feature is not yet available in your region. It should be located directly below the “Name pronunciation” section and above the “Title” section.
How to Add a Pronoun to Your LinkedIn Profile on the iPhone App
Adding your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile on your iPhone is just as easy. Here's how to do it on the iPhone mobile app:
- Launch LinkedIn on your iPhone.
- Tap your profile picture in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Switch to the “View Profile” option on the left sidebar.
- Tap the pen icon below the bottom right corner of the background image.
- Select the drop-down arrow under the "Pronouns" section.
- Choose one of the following options: 'she/her', 'he/him', 'they/them' or 'custom'. If you choose "custom", you can enter your pronouns.
- Tap the "Visible to" option under "Pronouns."
- Choose one of the following options: "Your connections", "Your network" or "All LinkedIn members".
- Go to the "Save" button in the upper right corner of your screen.
That's all we can say about it. Now when you open your profile again, you can see your pronouns next to your name on your LinkedIn profile. If they are not there, refresh your app several times and make sure you have a stable internet connection.
If you choose to make your pronouns visible to your connections or network, when you post something and appear on their main feed, your connections will be able to see your pronouns right next to or below your name.
Just like on the web app, if you don't see the "Pronouns" feature, it may not yet be available in your country. However, it is possible that this feature is available in your region, but you are not using the latest version of this commercial application. So, be sure to go to the App Store to check if the app needs to be updated.
How to Add a Pronoun to Your LinkedIn Profile on the Android App
Now let's see how to add your pronouns to your profile on LinkedIn on your Android device. To do so, see these instructions:
- Open the app on your phone.
- Go to your profile picture in the top left corner of the home page.
- Select the “View Profile” option from the left sidebar.
- Go to the pencil icon on the right side of your profile.
- Go to the "Pronouns" section and press the drop-down arrow next to it.
- Choose your pronouns.
- Go to the "Visible to" section and choose who can see your pronouns.
- Press the "Save" button in the upper right corner.
You have successfully added your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile. Refresh the app by dragging the screen down, and the pronouns should be located next to your name.
Personalize your LinkedIn profile with your pronouns
There are many reasons why you should add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile. This will let hiring managers, co-workers, and other LinkedIn users know how to properly address you, and it will avoid any uncomfortable misconceptions. Whether you choose to use this feature on your PC or mobile app, it will only take you a few moments.
Have you ever considered adding your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile? How did you add your pronouns to this app? Leave a comment below to let us know.