If you have an iPhone but don't have iTunes, you may find it difficult to set your desired ringtone. Apple offers a selection of preset songs, but what if you want to use your favorite song?
Unfortunately, Apple has made things a bit tricky by stipulating that you pay and download the song from iTunes to use as a ringtone. But there are ways around this.
In this article, we will see how to add a ringtone to your iPhone without using iTunes.
How to Add Ringtone to iPhone without iTunes
What you will need
Before diving into adding your ringtone, there are a few things you need to do first.
The song you want to set as your ringtone will need to be downloaded to your phone and saved to your iPhone's music library. Alternatively, you can import and save the song to your Apple Files. Make sure you do. Otherwise, the following steps will not work.
You will also need to have the Garage Tape app installed on your iPhone. Garageband is an application designed for use on Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads and Mac computers and allows users to create podcasts and music files. It's usually a native app, but you can download it for free from the App Store if you don't have it.
Once you've added your chosen song to your device and installed the Garageband app, we can begin.
To use iTunes to create your ringtone, you'll first need to customize a song before setting it as your ringtone.
Create your new ringtone on your iPhone
- Launch the Garageband app.
- Next, open the “Tracks” section and swipe until you find “Drums”. Now tap on “Smart Drums” and select the “View” button to take you to the editing section. Apple describes this button as a series of longer and shorter lines.
- Next, you will need to tap on the “Loop” icon at the top of the screen. This button allows you to search for your song.
- Choose the "Files" tab and find the song you want to use. Once you locate the song, press it for a few seconds and it will be imported. If you don't see the song you're looking for, click the "Browse Items in Files App" button to find it.
- Press the "Play" button to browse the track and see where you want the song to start playing when your phone rings. At the top of the edit screen, you'll see what looks like a ruler with a vertical slider pin attached to it. Drag this pin to the point where you want the song to start.
- When you're happy with the pin location, double-click the song. A selection of options will appear. Choose “Split”. Then drag the icon with the scissors down to cut your song at the selected location.
- Now double tap on the part of the song you don't want to keep. A menu will appear. Select "Delete" to remove it from the workspace.
- Next, tap the down-facing arrow in the upper left corner of the screen. Then, in the menu, choose "My songs".
- Press and hold the music project, then choose "Share." From the menu, select "Ringtone" followed by "Continue". Then name the song. Then select “Export”. This will save your new ringtone.
- An option will then appear to "Use sound as". Clicking on it will allow you to set the song as a ringtone or assign it to a contact. You can also press "OK" to save the ringtone so that you can set it yourself manually later.
It is important to note that when you export the song, your iPhone automatically cuts the song to 30 seconds. Therefore, if you only want a snippet of the song to play (less than 30 seconds), you'll have to cut it from both sides. This allows you to create the segment you want. To do this, repeat steps 5 through 7.
Set Your Custom Song as Ringtone on Your iPhone Without Using iTunes
If you selected "Ok" and have just recorded the song, and now want to set it as your ringtone, here are the steps to follow:
- Open your iPhone and go to "Settings" (the little gray gear icon.)
- Tap "Settings," then choose "Sounds & Haptics."
- In this menu, choose “Ringtone”. A list of all available ringtones will appear. Your new ringtone should appear at the top of this list.
- Tap the song to set it as ringtone.
iPhone ringtone created and set
Creating and setting a new ringtone on your iPhone is a challenge if you don't use iTunes. But if you follow the steps above, you will hear your favorite song every time your phone rings.
The only thing you'll have to worry about is which song you want to hear!
Have you created and set a ringtone on your iPhone without using iTunes? Have you used any of the tips in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.