If you've been on Instagram for a while, you might have noticed that some photos contain text. Adding text to your Instagram posts can be really handy for content creators and small business owners. Luckily, you don't need any special app to do this. You can add text and many other features to Instagram photos with Instagram Story tools.
In this article, we are going to show you how to add text to Instagram photo on iPhone and Android devices. We'll also show you how to create text-only images using Instagram Story's creation mode.
How to Add Text to Instagram Photo on iPhone
From various color enhancement filters to different layout options, Instagram lets you get creative with your posts. Although there are many photo editing apps that you can use to add text to your Instagram photos, you can already do this within the app. Although some Instagram users like to write their text below the photo in the caption, some take advantage of Instagram Story tools and write the text on the photo itself. Not only is it simple, but you have plenty of options when it comes to text fonts and colors.
To add text to Instagram photo on iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Launch Instagram on your iPhone.
- Open Instagram Story by swiping right or tapping the "Your Story" bubble in the top right corner of your screen.
- Take a photo or upload a photo from your phone's gallery by swiping up and tapping the photo.
- Tap the “Aa” icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Type whatever you want.
- Edit the text with the tools.
- Select "Done" in the upper right corner.
- Tap the down arrow icon to upload the image to your gallery.
When it's time to post the image, here's what you need to do next:
That's all we can say about it. When it comes to the text you added to the photo, there are plenty of options to play with. For example, you can choose:
- The text color
- Text size
- The text font
- Whether or not the text will have a background
- The text transition
- Text alignment
You can even match the text color to what is already in the photo with the bucket tool. When you have finished writing the text, you can move it and place it wherever you want. However, once the photo is saved to your device, you cannot make any further changes to it.
How to Add Text to Instagram Photo on Android
Adding text to a photo on Instagram on an Android is very similar. Follow the steps below on how to do this:
- Launch Instagram on your Android device.
- Tap the "Your Story" bubble in the top left corner of your screen or swipe right.
- Take a photo or upload one from your phone.
- Go to the text icon in the upper right corner.
- Type the text.
- Make changes to the text. Change color, size, font, background, position, transition, etc.
- Tap "Done" in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Save your Instagram story by tapping the down arrow at the top.
Now that the photo is saved in your phone's gallery, you can post it anytime. The text will be saved with the photo. In other words, you will not be able to add or remove the text after saving the photo.
Although you can open and use Instagram on your web browser, you can only use this feature on your mobile device. If you want to add text to an Instagram photo on your computer, you'll need to use a third-party app to do so. Most photo editing apps have a text function, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. One of the best apps you can use to add text to Instagram photos is Canva. For more professional effects, you can use Photoshop.
Once you have added the text through the third-party app, you need to transfer the photo to your mobile device to post it to your Instagram. You cannot post a photo to Instagram with the web browser.
How to create Instagram photos with text only
In some cases, Instagram users want to upload text-only photos to advertise something or make an announcement. This can be done with Instagram's creative mode which you can find in the Story section. Here's what you need to do:
- Open the app on your mobile device.
- Tap the "Your Story" bubble in the top left corner of the app.
- Select the "Aa" icon or the "Create" option. This will turn the screen into a canvas.
- Tap the screen.
- Write the text.
- Make necessary adjustments to the text, such as color, font, size, etc. You can even change the background color.
- Choose the “Next” option in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You can add even more text at this point.
- Tap the down arrow icon at the top of the screen.
- Go to the "+" icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Select the text-only photo you just created and go to the "right blue arrow".
- Make the necessary changes and select "right blue arrow" again.
- Post the photo by tapping the blue tick to share.
You can add more than text to a photo on Instagram. You can add stickers, GIFs, special effects, and you can even write or draw something using the free tool. The fonts, colors, and features you should use depend on the type of content. Other useful features include hashtags, locations, mentions, music, polls, quizzes, questions, and many more.
Once you save the photo you created, you can upload it to your Instagram account as a regular post or upload it as an Instagram story that will disappear from your friends' feed in 24 hours. You can even use the photo you took on Instagram and post it on other social media platforms.
Use Instagram's text feature to your advantage
There are many creative tools and hidden features that you can find on Instagram. Adding text to messages is one of them. Whether you decide to post the photo as a Story or to your Instagram feed, you'll have a wide selection of tools that can help you find the text color, size, font, and background. You can even use Instagram's Create mode to create text-only posts.
Have you ever added text to an Instagram photo? Did you also use Instagram Story's text feature or did you use a third-party app? Let us know in the comments section below.