Android's camera app offers useful image editing options. However, there's usually no obvious option or setting to add a timestamp to the photo you've taken. If your smartphone has the timestamp function, it is often easier to use it.
For most smartphones, you can check your photo's metadata and then use image editing software to add the date and time. However, this approach is time consuming and a bit convoluted, not to mention that the resulting image can easily be modified by someone else, which is a security risk.
To avoid any security/hacking risk to your precious images, you need an option that embeds timestamps as soon as you take the photos with your Android device.
Since Android's camera app usually doesn't offer a timestamp option, you will need to download a third-party application. There are many free options.
This handy article provides information on several third-party timestamp apps that add time information to your photos.
Timestamp Camera Free is a free app available on Google Play Store and iOS App Store. You can upgrade the app for a one-time charge which provides more features. For most people, the free option works just fine. Here's how to use it.
- Access Free Timestamp Camera in the Google App Store or Basic Timestamp Camera in the iOS App Store.
- Click on " To install. »
- Allow all necessary permissions, including to the camera (obviously).
- Launch the app and click on the clock icon in the lower right corner. The icon displays a full menu of options.
Unfortunately, to use this app, you'll have to forego your native Android app and choose the Timestamp Camera app instead. It's still a great option for adding dates and times to important photos on your phone.
Our top pick is the Free PhotoStamp Camera app.
Here is a step-by-step guide for photo stamping using PhotoStamp Camera Free, allowing you to add date and time stamps to your photos. Photostamp Camera Free is a top pick because it's easy to use and has a robust feature set, including:
- Add data/timestamps to new and existing photos.
- Drag and drop your timestamp GPS location.
- Change font, font color, font size as you need.
- Automatically add location address and GPS coordinates to photos.
- Choose from hundreds of font styles.
- Add your logo as a signature to your photos.
If the above features are not enough to use PhotoStamp Camera Free, it also supports all format and resolution settings!
Here's how to use PhotoStamp Camera Free on Android.
- Access Free PhotoStamp Camera in the Google Play App Store.
- Select " To install. »
- Accept permissions.
- Launch the app.
- On the left you can see the last photo taken with the app (none yet). On the right side of the screen, the white camera icon lets you switch between your phone's front and back cameras.
- To change the settings, use the " equipment " icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Enable “automatic stamping”.
- Select your preferred date layout. By default, the format is “MM, dd, yyyy” followed by the exact time to the nearest second.
- Choose font size and color. You also have over 800 font styles available.
- Select “Adjust stamp position” to change its location on the image.
If you're willing to pay for an ad-free experience, you might like using Vignette. This app is quite affordable and comes with several photo editing options.
Camera360 is another good choice for automatic time stamping. It's free and comes with lots of filters that can enhance your photos. However, this application is a bit more complicated to use.
Auto timestamp is important for many Android users. Fortunately, there is a wide selection of free apps for this purpose.
Free PhotoStamp Camera is a great option if adding accurate timestamps to your photos is your only goal. The app is simple to use and lets you change the font. But if you're looking for filters that can improve image quality, you might want to opt for a general-purpose camera app where time stamping is just one of many features.
If you liked this article, you might like to learn more about the best camera apps for Android.
Do you have a favorite app for adding timestamps and other metadata to photos? If so, leave a comment below!