Gmail has swept the world by storm as one of the leading email clients trusted by users around the world. However, many people who use Gmail tend to have trouble finding some of the service's more hidden features, such as unsubscribing from newsletters, creating filters, adding a signature, and blocking a E-mail adress.
Sending emails has become an essential part of communication, so it's essential to know all the ways you can personalize your inbox, and especially get rid of unwanted senders. This can be managed by blocking specific senders of your choice. If you receive unwanted spam or just want to block a specific sender, read on to learn more.
How to Block an Email Address in Gmail on an iPhone
The Gmail app for iOS devices offers a wide range of tools and features to help you manage all your blocking needs. Follow the simple steps below if you are using Gmail on your iPhone and want to block certain emails.
- Launch the Gmail app home screen.
- Locate an email from the sender you want to block in your inbox.
- Tap the email and let it expand.
- Once you have opened the message, locate the three dots next to the sender's name in the right corner.
- Tap the three dots.
- Find the “Block sender[at]email.com” option and tap on it.
How to Block an Email Address in Gmail on an Android
You don't have to sift through unwanted emails in your inbox. If you prefer to use the Gmail app on your Android device, here's how:
- Open the Gmail app.
- Find a specific email from the sender you want to add to your block list in your inbox.
- Tap the email and open it.
- Find the three dots mentioned in the upper right corner and tap on them.
- Tap "Block sender[at]email.com."
How to block a How to block an email address in Gmail on a PC
If you prefer to work from a desktop environment, there is an easy way to block specific senders. Learn the simple steps needed to get you started:
- On your favorite web browser, log into the Gmail website.
- Find the specific email in your inbox sent from the address you want to block and open the message.
- Select the three dots in the right corner.
- Click “Block sender[at]email.com.”
How to Block an Email Address in Gmail on an iPad
Using Gmail on an iPad is convenient when you're on the go. If you want to block an email address, you don't have to locate a desktop computer and give up the freedom that iPads give you. Block email addresses directly from your device by doing the following:
- Launch the Gmail app.
- Once in your inbox, find a specific email from a sender you want to block.
- Locate three dots in the right corner and tap on them.
- Click “Block sender[at]email.com.”
How to block an email address in Gmail without opening it
If you're looking for a way to avoid opening messages you don't want to receive, there are a few workarounds. Gmail has a “Filters” feature that will automatically send emails from the specified sender to the Spam folder. All you have to do to create the filter is follow these steps:
- Log in to the Gmail site with your account.
- Click the tool icon next to your profile picture.
- Select "See all settings".
- Once you've entered the full settings menu, find and click "Filters and Blocked Addresses" in the main settings tab.
- Here you will see all your blocked addresses and previously created filters. If there is not one yet, click on "Create a new filter".
- The popup will have empty bars to list the sender email and optional details.
- Enter the email you want to block.
- Click on “Create a filter”.
- A second window will appear asking you in which specific folder you want to send the email automatically.
- Click "Delete".
You should know that after blocking a sender, they won't know about it. Their sent emails will automatically go to their outbox on their side. However, they will not receive a notification informing them of the real problem, which guarantees your privacy.
If you're still receiving unwanted emails from senders who've already been on your block list, try blocking them again or contact Google Support.
Organization is key
It is essential to keep our inbox as clean as possible. The more spam that accumulates, the more painful it becomes to declutter everything. Luckily, there's a workaround to everything these days, and Gmail offers a wide range of features that make our lives easier.
Do you use Gmail's blocking and filtering features? How diligent are you in adding new addresses to your block list? Let us know in the comments section below.