Receiving unwanted phone calls can be a nuisance, and even more so when the caller hides their number. Salespeople and real estate agents love this trick and find it useful in getting unwitting people to answer their calls. Unfortunately, those of us who receive it find ourselves interrupted and often frustrated.
However, if you use an iPhone, there are several ways to prevent these calls from interfering with your day. This guide will look at different ways to block these unwanted calls on your iPhone.
How to Block No Caller ID on iPhone 10, 11, and 12
1. Silence unknown callers
Newer versions of iPhone, including iPhone 10 (or iPhone X), iPhone 11, and iPhone 12, are supported on iOS 13 and later. The release of iOS 13 brought a unique feature called “Unknown Caller Silence”. This app directs all calls from unknown callers to voicemail. Your iPhone won't ring but will save the call to the "Recents" section of your phone book, and if they leave a voicemail, you'll get a notification of the message.
Here's how to enable "Silence Unknown Callers" on your iPhone 10, 11, or 12:
- Unlock your iPhone and locate the "Settings" icon. Apple describes this icon as a small gray gear.
- Tap the "Settings" icon.
- Scroll through the menu and when you find it, select the "Phone" option.
- In the menu that opens, navigate to the “Silence unknown callers” option and slide the toggle to the right to activate the function. When enabled, the toggle turns green.
2. Do Not Disturb
Another way to block calls from unknown callers is to use the "Do Not Disturb" feature on your iPhone. This application is relatively simple to set up; Here's how:
- Unlock your iPhone and locate the "Settings" icon.
- Click on the “Settings” icon.
- Scroll through the menu that appears until you find "Do Not Disturb".
- Tap "Allow calls from", then choose the "All contacts" option.
- Close the menus and return to your "Home" screen.
This solution works because it only allows people stored in your contact list to call you. However, it blocks all other calls from going through, which means you may miss other important calls from numbers other than those in your contact list.
3. Create a new contact
The third way to block unknown numbers is to create a new contact that you can name “Do Not Answer” or “No Caller ID”. Unfortunately, your iPhone is unable to block hidden or private numbers because it cannot recognize them. However, creating a contact that imitates this unknown number allows you to work around this problem. Here's how:
- Go to "Contacts" and tap the "+" icon to add a new contact.
- Enter “No Caller ID” in the contact name box.
- Next, enter "000-000-0000" for the new contact's phone number.
- Click "Done" to save.
- Next, scroll down the profile of this newly added contact until you see the “Block this caller” option and tap on it.
- Select "Block contact" to confirm your choice.
Your iPhone will now recognize any hidden or private number as a blocked number and stop your phone from ringing if someone calls you from an unknown number.
How to Block No Caller ID on iPhone 6, 7, and 8
1. Add a new contact
The latest iOS systems do not support all older iPhone models. For this reason, your phone may not offer features such as "Silence of unknown callers". However, there are still ways to block unknown callers. The following steps will show you how:
- Go to "Contacts" on your phone and tap the "+" to add a new contact to your phone.
- In the profile of this new contact, type “No Caller ID” under the name.
- In the number bar, add "000-000-0000" for the phone number.
- Select "Done" to save the contact.
- In the saved contact profile, scroll down to find “Block this caller” and tap on it.
- Now choose “Block contact”.
2. Enable Do Not Disturb
Another way to prevent unwanted numbers from calling you is to activate "Do Not Disturb". Here's how:
- Locate the "Settings" icon on your phone and click on it.
- Under "Settings," find "Do not disturb," then slide the toggle next to that option to the right to turn it on. Once enabled, the toggle will turn green and a moon icon will appear in the status bar.
- Next, tap on the “Allow calls from” option and select “All contacts”. A small check mark should appear on the right.
- Return to your home screen.
As stated earlier, this method works; however, it will not only block unknown numbers. Instead, it will block any number not in your contact list.
Another way to block unknown numbers on your iPhone is through your mobile carrier. Most of these service providers offer plans or filters that will help you block unwanted calls.
How to Block Caller ID on iPhone with Verizon Service
If you use Verizon as your mobile carrier, you can sign up for their call filter. Additionally, Verizon offers a selection of features in this app, including spam blocking and robocall control.
Verizon's Call Filter is free for Verizon subscribers. However, if you want a beefed up version, you can opt for the paid version – Call Filter Plus – for $2,99 per month.
How to Block Caller ID on iPhone with ATT Service
AT&T offers its own app, called AT&T Call Protect, which will help prevent unwanted calls from reaching your phone. The app is available to all AT&T subscribers using an iPhone 6 or later with iOS HD Voice Capable. You can opt for the more basic free version or pay a monthly subscription of $3,99 for the premium option. Both choices provide unwanted call alerts and unknown call blocking.
How to Block Caller ID on iPhone with Tmobile Service
T-Mobile also offers its version of a filtering app called ScamShield, which protects against robocalls, spam, and unwanted calls. The app is free to download from Google Playstore or App Store. If you want a version with a little more weight, you can opt for Scam Shield Premium, which will cost a monthly subscription.
iPhHow to Block Caller ID on iPhone in Australia
If you live in Australia and have an iPhone that supports iOS 13 or later, you can use the “Silence of Unknown Callers” feature. The steps below will show you how to activate this application:
- Open your iPhone and go to "Settings".
- Once in "Settings", select the "Phone" option.
- From there, scroll down to find “Silence from unknown callers”. Slide the toggle to the right to enable this setting. Once enabled, the toggle will turn green.
It is important to note that this feature will only work with unknown numbers. If you've interacted with a particular number before but haven't saved it to your contacts, your iPhone won't include that number in those it recognizes as "unknown."
Another way to avoid calls from callers with hidden numbers is to install a third-party app.
How to Block No Caller ID on iPhone in Hong Kong
iPhone users living in Hong Kong can use a third-party app or service provider that will help them block unwanted calls. Alternatively, if your iPhone supports iOS 13 or later, you can enable the “Silence of Unknown Callers” feature on your phone.
- Go to "Settings" from your "Home" screen.
- Once in "Settings", locate "Phone" and tap on it.
- Scroll down the menu until you find the “Silence unknown callers” option and slide the toggle to the right to turn it on. The toggle should turn green when activated.
Nuisance calls blocked
Blocking or silencing unknown callers on your iPhone is relatively simple once you know how. Follow these simple steps and you'll only get calls from people you want to talk to. Alternatively, you can contact your mobile carrier to set up a blocking filter that works for you.
Have you ever blocked unknown calls on your iPhone? Did you use a method similar to those described in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.