Being inundated with text messages from weird email addresses you've never interacted with before has unfortunately become quite common. Scammers rely heavily on sending text messages from email addresses to circumvent cellular carrier charges for outgoing messages.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can try to block text messages from fraudulent email senders. For example, you can create a temporary contact entry for them and then block that contact.
If you want to know exactly how it's done, this article will cover instructions on how to block texts from email addresses for various devices. Additionally, our FAQs include details on third-party apps and other ways to automatically block unwanted calls and texts.
How to block text messages from an email address on an Android device
To block an email address from sending text messages to your Android device, you must first create a contact entry for it:
- Open the “Messages” app.
- Find the text message, then long press it.
- At the top, choose “Add contact”.
- Tap "Add Contact" again to confirm.
- Then select "Create a new contact".
- Enter a name for the contact in the "Name" text field.
To block the contact:
- Open the “Phone” application.
- Go to the “Contacts” tab.
- Find the contact entry you created earlier, then tap the name.
- At the top right, tap the three-dot menu icon.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Block numbers".
- Now confirm that you want to block this contact by choosing "Block".
How to Block Text Messages from an Email Address on an iPhone
To stop receiving text messages on your iPhone from an email address, you must first create a contact entry for it:
- Open "Messages".
- Find and then tap the text message.
- At the top, tap the right-pointing chevron next to sender details.
- Click "Info," then enter a name for the contact.
- Press "Done" to save.
Then to block the new contact:
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Select "Messages", then "Blocked" or "Blocked Contacts".
- At the bottom, select “Add New…”
- Find and tap the contact. It will be added instantly to your blocked list.
How to block text messages from an email address with Verizon
To show how to block a text message from an email address on your Verizon number, we'll use the Android and iPhone examples.
How to block text messages from an email address with AT&T
AT&T allows you to block text messages to your AT&T number from people's email addresses or spambots. Here's how to set this up using their portal:
- Go to AT&T Messages then sign up for an email account.
- Click "Register Now", then create a password. When you're done, you'll receive a registration code via SMS.
- Log in to your account after registering it at mymessages.wireless.att.com and entering your registration code.
- The next screen will show some "Blocking Options". Check the appropriate boxes for "Block all text messages sent to you via email" and "Block all multimedia messages sent to you via email".
How do I report a spam SMS?
To report a conversation as spam, block the sender and then access your Spam folder using an Android device:
1. Open "Messages".
2. Tap and long press on the conversation you want to report.
3. Tap 'Block', 'Report Spam', then 'OK'.
You can also open the conversation and then report it as spam by:
1. Tap the “More” three-dot menu icon.
2. Tap 'Details', 'Block and report spam', 'Report spam', then 'OK'.
The contact will be flagged as spam, then the message will be sent to your “Spam & Blocked” folder. You can also report spam without blocking the contact.
To report a spam or unwanted message in the iMessage app on iPhone:
You have the option to report any message that looks like junk or spam. If you receive a text message from someone who is not in your contacts, a "Report Spam" link will appear below the message:
1. Tap "Report Spam"
2. Tap "Delete" and "Report Spam".
In addition to deleting the message from your device, this will provide the sender's information to Apple. However, this will not prevent the same sender from sending you other messages. You will need to block the contact.
Stop unwanted text messages
Receiving unwanted SMS from unknown senders is similar to receiving spam. It can create awkward clutter and you're usually not interested in what they offer.
Fortunately, there are several options available to prevent unwanted text messages, including blocking individual senders or installing third-party apps to automatically fix the problem.
What method(s) do you use to block unwanted text messages? Have you noticed a reduction in the number of spam messages you receive? Let us know in the comments section below.