There are many good reasons to block a specific website. If you work from home, browsing certain pages can interfere with your productivity. Maybe you're a parent trying to protect your kids from explicit content, or maybe you want to make sure they don't visit websites that might spread viruses.
If you are a Windows 10 user, there are several ways to block websites on your device. Sometimes it is enough to adjust the browser settings.
However, you can also customize your computer to block specific websites. It is essential to know all your options. So, we will discuss all the ways you can block websites while using Windows 10 PC.
Block Websites on Windows 10 PC with Hosts File
One of the most effective ways to ensure that a website will be blocked no matter which browser you use is to edit the hosts file.
By doing so, you can override DNS and redirect URLs and IP addresses to different locations. The process is quite simple and the steps are as follows:
- Click on the Start menu and select "Windows Accessories".
- Right-click on Notepad, select "More" followed by "Run as administrator".
- When Notepad opens, select "File" from the toolbar and "Open" from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the location "C:WindowsSystem32Driversetc".
- Make sure to select the "All Files" option for the files to appear. Then open the “host” file.
- Scroll down the page and click on the last line. Be sure to create space.
- Enter the URL you want to block.
- Go to File and select "Save".
For this to work, you must have permission to access the hosts file. Also, be sure to restart your computer to make sure the website is blocked.
How to Block Websites on Windows 10 Defender Firewall
Windows 10 has proven to be very good at filtering and blocking harmful apps from harmful computers. It's also a great tool to rely on when using public networks.
But did you know that you can improve Windows 10 Defender Firewall by blocking specific websites?
If the firewall allows access to suspicious sites, you can configure it so that no one in your home, school or work opens it either. This is how it works:
- Launch Control Panel on your computer.
- Select "Windows Defender Firewall" followed by "Advanced Settings" in the left pane.
- Right-click "Outgoing Rules" in the left menu and select "New Rule".
- When a new window appears, select the "Custom" option followed by "Next".
- In the next window, select "All Programs" and select "Next" again.
- Select the "These IP addresses" option under "Which remote IP addresses does this rule apply to?" »
- Click "Add" and enter the IP addresses you want to block. Then select “Next”.
- Make sure to choose the “Block connection” option and click “Next”.
- Choose whether the rule applies to Domain, Private or Public. You can also select all three.
- Select "Next", add a name or description for this rule, then select "Finish" to complete the action.
The IP addresses you have blocked will not be available through any browser.
How to find the IP address of a website
To successfully use Windows Defender Firewall to block websites, you must have accurate IP addresses. For example, let's say you want to block Facebook on your computer to avoid being distracted while you're working. Before configuring a new rule through Defender, locate the IP by following these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt Administrator by entering “CMD” in the search field.
- Enter “nslookup www.facebook.com” and press the enter button.
- You will see two IP addresses listed, IPv4 and IPv6. You will need to copy both when entering the information in Windows Defender settings.
How to Block Websites in Chrome on Windows 10 PC
If you run a business and have Google administrator account privileges, you are able to block specific websites. If organization members use Chrome, they won't have access to the websites you've blocked. Here's how to block websites on Chrome as an administrator:
- Log in to Google Workspace as an administrator account.
- On the home page, click on “Devices” followed by “Chrome” then “Settings”.
- From there, select “Users and browsers”.
- Choose an organizational unit to block websites.
- Select "URL Blocking" and enter the addresses you want to block. You can add up to 1 websites.
- Select "Save".
If you want to block websites on your personal computer on Chrome, you need to choose the right extension.
- Go to Chrome Web Store.
- Enter "BlockSite" or search for other options in the "Productivity" section of the search field.
- Click "Add to Chrome" followed by "Add Extension".
How to Block Websites in Firefox on a Windows 10 PC
Many Windows users prefer to browse the web with Firefox. You can filter unwanted content by limiting access to specific websites.
To do this, you will need to use one of the designated Firefox add-ons. You can download and configure the extension in minutes. Here's how:
- Launch Firefox on your Windows 10 computer.
- Access the official add-on website for Mozilla Firefox.
- Search for “Block site” or look for extensions under the “Privacy and security” category.
- Select the add-on and click "+ Add to Firefox".
- When a permissions window appears, click "Add" followed by "OK, I understand".
Once the extension is added to your browser, you can use it to block unwanted domains, schedule website blocking, and even choose custom messages on blocked pages.
How to Block a Website in Edge on Windows 10 PC
Microsoft Edge is a native browser for Windows 10 and does not have built-in website blocking features.
Like other browsers, users will need to find an effective extension to block access to specific websites. Luckily, safe browsing is just a few clicks away. Here's how:
- Launch Microsoft Edge on your Windows 10 computer.
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Extensions".
- Select the "Get Extensions for Microsoft Edge" button.
- Search for “Block site” or go to the “Productivity” section.
- When you make a choice, click "Get" next to the extension.
- When a pop-up window appears, select "Add extension".
Once the installation is complete, navigate to the website you want to block and click the "Block Site" icon in the browser toolbar.
Remember to make sure to confirm the action.
From now on, when you access this website, you will see the extension logo and the message that the website is blocked.
Block Adult Websites Windows 10
If you're a parent or guardian concerned about the content your kids are accessing online, there's a way to minimize this issue.
To get started, you need to change your Microsoft account settings and create a designated profile for the child. Then you can access the filter feature which blocks adult websites. It's not a complicated setup. Here are all the steps:
- Go to the Microsoft Family Safety page and sign in to your account.
- Click on the “Add Family Member” option.
- Enter the child's email address. Make sure it's an Outlook or Hotmail account.
- If your child already has an account, click on the “Content Filters” section.
- Select the "Web and Search" tab and turn on the "Filter inappropriate websites" switch.
Microsoft calls this the "SafeSearch" feature and blocks all adult content when enabled. Also, when this filter is enabled, it will block the use of all other browsers except Microsoft Edge.
Browse safely on your Windows 10 computer
We still don't have a single built-in button that activates the website blocking feature in Windows 10. Until that becomes possible, users have to use various methods to block a website they want to avoid or find. they don't find sure.
Organizations have a few more options, but each approach has its limitations. You can block websites through host file, windows defender firewall or download block website extension on your browsers.
As for content filtering for kids, you can fix the issue through Family Safety on your Microsoft account. This will ensure that adult websites are blocked, and you can also block certain apps and even apply time restrictions.
What is your favorite way to block websites on your Windows 10? Let us know in the comments section below.