Are you constantly distracted by YouTube videos when trying to work? Are you concerned about the appearance of inappropriate websites when young users surf the web? If so, you are probably looking for a way to block these websites. Whatever your reason, blocking a website in incognito mode is possible through different methods depending on your device.
In this article, we will explain that. Follow this step-by-step guide to get online infiltration status regardless of your device.
How to Block Websites in Incognito Mode on Windows PC
Want to control website access on your Windows PC regardless of the browser you choose? All you have to do is make a few simple changes to your Windows PC settings. The method is simple and easy. It happens as follows:
- Open Windows Explorer and press the "Tools" function.
- Click on “Internet Options”.
- Head to the “Security” tab and click on the red “Restricted Sites” icon.
- Click on the “Sites” icon below.
- In the pop-up window that appears, manually enter the websites you want to block. Be sure to click "Add" after each site.
Once all these steps are completed, you and others are free to surf the web safely.
How to Block Websites in Incognito Mode on a Chromebook
On a Chromebook, you can switch between incognito mode and normal browsing. However, you will only have access to Private browsing mode when using the incognito window. Similar to a Windows PC, you can block websites at the operating system level:
- Sign in to your Google Workspace (G Suite) account located at admin.google.com.
- Select "Device", then "Chrome", then "Settings".
- Scroll down and click on 'Content' then 'URL Blocking' then 'URL Blacklist'.
- Enter the relevant URLs in the text field provided.
How to Block Websites in Incognito Mode on a Mac
In 2005, Safari was the first major browser to introduce a private browsing mode. Its operation consists of creating a temporary browsing session (one-time use of your browser from the moment you open it until the moment you close it). Here's how to enable incognito mode on your Mac:
- Open Safari browser.
- Go to File and select New Private Window.
You can also configure Safari to always open private browsing windows. Here's how:
- In the menu bar, choose “Safari” then click on “Preferences”.
- In the "General" tab, click on the "Safari opens with" tab.
- Choose the option “A new private window”. This ensures that an incognito window will open whenever you use Safari.
Alternatively, you can use “Shift+Command+N” or “Ctrl+Shift+N” shortcuts to access Private Browsing.
How to Block Websites in Incognito Mode on an iPhone
Follow these steps to block websites of your choice on an iPhone:
- Open Settings.
- Tap "Content and Privacy Restrictions" and enter your iPhone passcode.
- Tap "Content Restrictions," then "Web Content."
- Choose one of the following options: 'Unlimited access', 'Limit adult websites' or 'Allowed websites only'.
Also, if you are a parent and giving your child access to your iPhone for games, you may be concerned about iTunes and App Store purchases. Do not be afraid. By following these steps, you can safely prevent your child from installing, removing, and making in-app purchases without your approval.
- Head to Settings.
- Tap "Screen Time".
- Tap "Content and Privacy Restrictions". If requested, enter your password.
- Tap "iTunes & App Store Purchases".
- Choose the desired setting and set it to "Do not allow".
Once all these steps are done, you are good to go.
How to Block Websites in Incognito Mode on Android Phone
Your Android device must come with the Google Play Store app. From there, you can install the “BlockSite” app to help you block unwanted websites. It will block sites even in incognito mode. Here's how:
- Open Google Play Store and install "BlockSite" app.
- Once downloaded, open the “BlockSite” app.
- Tap "Go to Settings" when prompted and enable the use of the app.
- Tap the green “+” icon to block your first website or app.
Is incognito mode safe?
If the private browsing mode erases all local traces of your browsing, you can still be identified on the web. Advertisers will always know that you are there thanks to technologies such as "geolocation". Also, incognito mode does not provide any additional security features. Malware can still get through.
Private Browsing is designed to protect your privacy within your home and hide your online activity. So even if an advertising agency knows that you are looking for a particular gift, it will still surprise the person you are buying for, even if they are using your computer.
Be the master of online disguise
Whether you're looking for a birthday present or monitoring what your child sees online, incognito mode can be very useful. The service deletes cookies and clears your history, ensuring that what you are looking for can be done without a trace.
But while blocking sites in incognito mode is great if you don't want anyone around you to know what you're doing online, you're still not completely untraceable. Your IP address can still be located by your internet service provider. Also, your site data is not entirely anonymous, as the website always knows you are there.
Just something to consider before deciding to infiltrate online.
What makes you want to go incognito? Have you tried other methods while doing this? If the answer is yes, leave a comment below.