From amazing incidents to popular cat antics, YouTube has presented the world with some great videos. But sometimes clicking through thousands of videos to watch hilarious, shocking, and amazing content can distract you from important responsibilities.
Would it be great to block YouTube on Google Chrome to eliminate this distraction and continue your work? Well, it is possible. In fact, there are several ways to block a website like YouTube with just a few simple steps. And good news: if you change your mind, you have the option to unblock the website.
This guide will show you different ways to block YouTube from Google Chrome. We will also go through the process of blocking YouTube channels and some additional options you have.
Whichever method you choose, each option will effectively restrict access to YouTube or any other website you wish to block. We will walk through the YouTube blocking process using each method.
Changing site permissions
If you change site permissions, you have a lot more options than just blocking the entire website. To block YouTube using site settings, follow these steps:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Go to Youtube.
- Click the lock icon on the left side of the URL.
- Choose "Site Settings" from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to "Using your device".
- Click the “Ask (default)” box.
- Select "Block".
There are several other features you can block on the site settings page such as notifications, automatic downloads, location, camera, microphone, ads, background sync and more again. If you change your mind, come back to this page and select the "Allow" option.
How to Block YouTube on Google Chrome on Desktop
To completely block YouTube on Google Chrome, you can install an app called Mobicip. Not only does this app allow you to block an entire website, but you can also use it to limit screen time, track location, and manage other apps. You can use this parental control app whether you are a Windows, Mac or Chromebook user.
Once you've created an account for this app, here's what you need to do next:
- Open Mobicip on your browser and log in.
- Click on the "Family" tab in the top menu.
- Scroll down until you see "Websites".
- Click the arrow to the right.
- Under "Blocked Websites", enter "youtube.com. "
- Click on “Block”.
If you change your mind, it's easy to unblock any app by adding it to the "Allowed apps" list. One cool feature that this app has to offer is the ability to connect it to multiple devices. This way you can choose which users have limitations and which do not.
How to Block YouTube on Google Chrome on an iPhone or Android
You can also use this app for iOS and Android devices. It even gives you the option to block certain apps even before they get installed on your child's device. Here's how you can use it to block YouTube:
- Open Mobicip on a mobile device.
- Go to the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Choose “My family”.
- Go to the profile of the person you want to block YouTube from.
- Choose “Social Apps”.
- Find YouTube in the list.
- Flip the switch.
You can also find YouTube under "Videos" and "Mobile Apps". However, keep in mind that if you choose "Mobile Apps", you will still be able to access YouTube from your phone's browser.
How to block YouTube on Google Chrome with a browser extension?
Another way to block YouTube on Google Chrome is to use a browser extension. This is how it's done:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Go to the Google Chrome web store.
- Type “Site Blocker” in the search bar.
- Choose the “Site Blocker” extension from the list of options.
- Click the "Add to Chrome" button on the right.
- Go to "Add extension" in the pop-up window.
You have successfully downloaded the browser extension. Now is the time to use it to block YouTube. Follow the steps below to find out how:
- Go to YouTube.
- Click the extensions icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Next to “Site Blocker”, click on the three dots.
- Choose “Block this site”.
That's all we can say about it. You can use this Chrome extension to block virtually any website or platform. If you change your mind, unlocking them is very easy.
How can I simply block a YouTube channel?
Blocking a YouTube channel is very simple, but you will need a YouTube account to do so. Here's how it's done:
1. Open YouTube.
2. Type the name of the channel you want to block.
3. Go to the "About" section of their YouTube profile.
4. Scroll down until you see a flag icon at the bottom right of your screen.
5. Select "Block user".
6. Click on “Send”.
To block a YouTube channel on your mobile app, follow these steps:
1. Open the YouTube app.
2. Tap the magnifying glass icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
3. Find the YouTube channel you want to block.
4. Open one of their videos and navigate to their username under the video.
5. Slide down the top menu and choose "About".
6. Tap the three dots in the upper right corner.
7. Select "Block user".
Can I block my computer's YouTube domain entirely?
It is also possible to block YouTube in all computer browsers, but this process is much more technical than the other methods in this guide. You will need to access your computer's hosts file. The location of the hosts file for Windows is “C:WindowsSystem32driversetc,” and for Mac, the hosts file is in the device's Terminal.
To block YouTube in all computer browsers, follow the steps below:
1. Open your hosts file.
2. Type “127.0.0.1” at the very bottom.
3. Press the “Tab” key on your keyboard.
4. Type “youtube.com.”
5. Press "Enter".
6. Type "127.0.0.1" and press "Tab." "
7. Type “myoutube.com” and press “Enter”.
8. Click "File" in the upper left corner of the file.
9. Select “Save As…”
10. Choose “Text Documents”.
11. From the drop-down menu, choose “All Files”.
12. Choose the “hosts” file then “Save”.
13. Confirm that you want to save it.
At this point, you need to restart your device. The next time you activate it, YouTube will be blocked on all computer browsers.
Forget wasting your time on YouTube
Now you know how to block YouTube from Google Chrome on all your devices. You also know how to block a YouTube channel and how to block YouTube from all computer browsers. Now you can relax knowing that you or your kids won't waste time on this addictive platform anymore.
Have you ever blocked YouTube from Google Chrome? Have you used any of the methods explained in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.