Disclaimer: Certain pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This in no way affects our editorial staff.
With over 120 million active users, Steam's huge popularity coupled with its vast catalog of games makes it a magnet for gamers around the world. Not only that, but Steam also hosts many other services, including video streaming, server hosting, and cloud storage, to name a few.
If you are part of the Steam community, you know that many access and security issues can arise. Once an account has been VAC (anti-cheat valve) banned from Steam, it is permanent and non-negotiable with Steam Support.
However, there is a hassle-free way to circumvent the bans. This article will highlight the best steps you can take to avoid a Steam ban, as well as what to do if you've already been banned.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
Read on to find out more.
How to Bypass a Ban in Steam
If you're looking to get around a ban on Steam, it's worth considering using a VPN (virtual private network). There are many reasons why people choose to use VPNs. Mainly, they help the users to overcome all the issues related to security, speed and geo-restrictions. This includes overriding any potential bans.
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to use a VPN to bypass Steam bans, it should be noted that Valve (the company behind Steam) generally does not condone the use of VPNs. This is especially true if users purchase games or game items not available in their country or cause harm or damage to others.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
However, VPNs can be used in some cases. For example, to bypass security bans or change your geolocation to play pre-purchased games that might not be available in your country.
Suppose you try to access Steam from your university server (in your free time, of course) and find that Steam is banned. Using a VPN can help you get around this problem.
One VPN you can use is ExpressVPN. As the name suggests, ExpressVPN is super-fast, which makes it ideal for gaming.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
From a computer:
- Head to ExpressVPN and sign up if you haven't already or log into your account.
- Select the "Download" button to get the correct ExpressVPN for your operating system.
- An email will be sent to you. Open it and click on the link to automatically load the application.
- Follow the app instructions to complete the installation.
- To connect to a server location, click the button under your server.
- Once the “Connected” message appears, you are free to start surfing the web with no problem.
- You should now be able to access Steam.
From an iOS device:
- Head to Safari (or your browser of choice) and navigate to ExpressVPN and sign up if you haven't already.
- Head over to the App Store and download the ExpressVPN app.
- Once the app is downloaded, follow the in-app instructions for setup.
- When you are done with the configuration, press the "On" button.
- Choose your server location by pressing the button next to "On".
- Head to "Settings" on your iPhone.
- Tap on “General”, then on “VPN”.
- Choose "Add VPN configuration", then select your VPN type.
- Go to ExpressVPN from your browser of choice on the Android device and sign up.
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the ExpressVPN app.
- Once the download is complete, complete the setup by following the in-app instructions.
- Press "On", then choose your server location by accessing the other on-screen button.
- Go to your Android "Settings", then "Advanced Network and Internet".
- Tap "VPN".
- Enter your ExpressVPN credentials, then tap "Select."
- The VPN will now be enabled on your device.
- Log in to your Steam account, then click "Account Details".
- Click “Update store country” and select the country where you changed your IP address.
- Refresh steam. During this operation, you may be asked to log in again.
- The server should now work without any bans or restrictions.
If you have already been banned from Steam, it is possible to bypass the ban simply by creating a new account. Just follow these steps:
- Log out of your banned account.
- Sign up for Steam using a new email address.
- Log in and click on the game you want to play, then click "Request to Play".
- Log out and log back in using your banned account.
- Select “Steam”.
- Head to "Settings", then "Family".
- Check the box next to your name, then tap "Authorize this computer."
- Go back to the other account and start playing!
What is the difference between a VAC ban and a server ban?
Generally, a server ban is not as severe as a VAC ban. Server bans are put in place by individual servers who have the ability to ban players for any reason. On the other hand, VAC bans prevent users from playing games on secure servers on the Steam platform.
If I am VAC banned, can I play on unsecured servers?
If the game you want to play gives you the option of insecure servers, then yes. However, it should be noted that not all games on Steam offer this feature.
Is it possible to unban from Steam?
No. Unfortunately, if you have a VAC ban, it will not be possible to appeal the decision. However, if you believe your account has been wrongfully banned, then it is possible to contact the Steam support team to initiate an investigation. If it turns out that the ban was issued to you incorrectly, it will automatically be revoked.
What games give users a VAC ban if they are caught cheating?
A VAC ban is applied to all games on this list if players are caught cheating:
• Counterattack: Source
• Day of defeat: source
• Deathmatch: Classic
• Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
• Team Fortress 2
• Day of defeat
• Classic Fortress Team
let the games begin
Playing games online should be a fun experience. The last thing you want is to get in the way of your game time because of the threat of a ban.
Luckily, by following the steps above, you can bypass any potential Steam bans in the future.
That said, if you're banned from Steam, it's worth asking why you were banned in the first place. If it was for cheating or causing harm to other players, once you regain access to Steam, make sure you don't repeat the same mistakes.
Have you tried to circumvent a ban on Steam? If so, were you successful? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.