As the largest and most popular platform for video content, YouTube has become the go-to place for all demographics. From children to adults to seniors, millions of people turn to this website to find various videos, whether they are funny short clips or in-depth tutorials.
Due to the age diversity of its audience, YouTube has had to impose certain restrictions on the type of content uploaded to the site and who can access it. Although the platform does not allow strictly adult content, some videos are still deemed inappropriate for younger audiences.
This is where YouTube's age restriction policy comes in. And while that's undoubtedly helpful, it can be annoying to search for a specific video and find out that it's been banned.
The easiest way to fix this problem would be to simply log into your account. However, if that's not an option, there are other ways to watch what you want on YouTube. In this article, we are going to show you how to bypass the age restriction on YouTube and enjoy all the content on the platform without limitations.
How to Bypass YouTube Age Restriction on iPhone
You can bypass the age restriction on your YouTube app for iPhone in a few simple steps:
- Open the YouTube app on your iPhone.
- Check if you are logged in to your account. You should see your account photo in the upper right corner.
- If you're signed in, tap your account picture. This will bring up your account menu.
- At the bottom of the menu, you'll see "Settings" and "Help & Feedback" options separated from the rest of the list. Tap "Settings" to open the YouTube menu.
- You will see various options for the YouTube app. The "restricted mode" will be among the first. If this mode is activated, it will be marked with a blue button on the right.
- Press the blue button. It should slide to the left and turn white, which means "restricted mode" has been disabled.
Disabling "Restricted Mode" should allow viewing of all content without age restrictions.
How to Bypass YouTube Age Restriction on Android Device
There are several options available if you want to access age-restricted YouTube videos on your Android device.
First, you can turn off "Restricted Mode" in the YouTube app. This method is very similar to the one used for the iPhone:
- Open the YouTube app on your Android device.
- Tap your profile icon in the top right to enter your account options.
- Tap "Settings," which will be near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to “General”. It should be the very first option from the top.
- In the 'General' menu, scroll down until you see 'Restricted mode'.
- If "Restricted Mode" is enabled, it will have a blue button on the right side. Press it to deactivate this mode.
Alternatively, you can use multiple Android apps to bypass YouTube age restriction. The safest option would be an app like VLC player.
VLC player has a feature that allows video streaming from any URL including YouTube. To use this feature, follow these steps:
- Install VLC player on your device. This app is available from Google Play Store.
- Open the app and tap "More", represented by three dots at the bottom right.
- You will see a rectangle with a plus sign named "New Feed". Press it.
- Paste the URL of the YouTube video you want to watch in the address bar and tap the arrow right next to it.
After performing these steps, VLC will start streaming the requested video, bypassing the age restriction.
Finally, you can use third-party apps that allow you to watch any YouTube video while logged out of your account. These apps mostly have a similar interface to the YouTube app and work the same way, except you don't need to sign in to view the restricted content.
However, be careful when installing such apps, especially since some are not available on Google Play Store and you will have to download them from an unverified source.
How to Bypass YouTube Age Restriction on PC?
Getting around the age restriction will be by far the easiest on a PC. Browsing YouTube videos on your computer will give you many options and techniques for accessing age-restricted content.
Websites such as "YouTube NSFW" or "Listen on Repeat" will allow you to watch any YouTube video without logging in. Either way, all you have to do to get the age-restricted video to play is change the URL.
For YouTube NSFW, you'll need to type "nsfw" right after "youtube" in the URL so it looks like this: https://www.youtubensfw.com/.
In the case of "Listen on Repeat", you must enter "repeat" before "youtube" in the address bar. Your new URL should start with https://www.repeatyoutube.com/.
Another method to bypass the age restriction on YouTube while on your PC is to use specialized software or sites that allow you to download YouTube videos to your hard drive. Once the video is uploaded, no restrictions will apply to it.
How to Bypass YouTube Age Restriction on TV?
YouTube age restriction may appear on your smart TV for several reasons. You may not be signed in with the correct account or the YouTube app may be in "restricted mode".
In many cases, smart TVs use a brand account as the default login. These accounts are age restricted and will not display all content available on YouTube.
You can solve this problem by switching to your personal account. The exact steps will vary depending on the smart TV model you have, but you'll likely find account options in the "Settings" menu or its equivalent.
When logging into your account, make sure you have entered the year of birth information. If this information is missing, YouTube will display content suitable for minors by default.
If you think your YouTube app is in "Restricted Mode", here's how to turn the mode off:
- On your TV, open the YouTube app and make sure you're signed in.
- Go to "Settings" and enter the menu by pressing "OK" or the confirmation button on your TV controller.
- Go to the "Restricted Mode" option.
- In the prompt that appears, select "Disabled".
This method will allow you to disable "Restricted Mode" for YouTube on your TV. Once you've done this, all videos should play normally.
Unblock everything YouTube has to offer
Bypassing restrictions can open up a lot of content on YouTube that would otherwise be inaccessible. Since many educational, informational, or entertaining videos fall under the site's age restriction policy, circumventing this restriction could be very useful.
After all, YouTube's algorithm isn't flawless when it flags content as inappropriate for younger audiences, and it may put some videos in that category even though they're perfectly safe to watch.
However, it should be noted that in most cases, the YouTube age restriction exists for a good reason. Now that you know how to bypass this restriction, it would be better to check whether the content you are trying to watch is suitable or not before using the suggested methods.
Have you managed to bypass the YouTube age restriction on your platform? Which age-restricted video did you want to watch? Let us know in the comment section below.