Whether you have a Dropbox account on your mobile phone, iPad, or computer, there may come a time when you no longer want a paid subscription. Canceling this subscription is relatively simple and will leave you with a free, downgraded basic Dropbox account.
If you want to know how to go about it, you've come to the right place. In this article, we cover step-by-step instructions on how to cancel your Dropbox subscription from different devices.
How to Cancel Dropbox Subscription on PC
Canceling your Dropbox subscription is simple and only takes a few minutes. Once you cancel it, Dropbox will automatically downgrade your account to its basic option at the end of your current billing cycle.
The basic account gives you 2 GB of space. If your existing files are larger than 2GB, Dropbox won't delete them; it will just stop syncing files across your devices. In this case, we suggest moving your files to another location to free up Dropbox space.
Dropbox will also keep your files for 30 days after you cancel. By doing this, Dropbox makes it easier to restore your files if you change your mind and reinstate your subscription.
If you have a Dropbox account on a PC that you want to cancel, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to Dropbox.com and sign in to your account.
- Click on your avatar located at the top right of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu, click on “Settings”.
- Choose "Schedule" from the tabs at the top of the page.
- At the bottom of the page, select "Cancel plan". (If no "Cancel Plan" option is available, you may have signed up on your mobile phone. In this case, you will need to cancel the plan from your mobile device. Below are instructions on how to do it.)
- Select the reason for canceling your plan.
- Click "Continue Cancellation".
- Wait for the email from Dropbox confirming the cancellation of your plan.
How to Cancel a Dropbox Subscription on an iPhone
Canceling your Dropbox subscription from your phone is slightly different from how you do it on a PC. If you subscribed using an iPhone, you will need to cancel the subscription through iTunes. Here's how to do it:
- On your iPhone, navigate to your "Settings" icon and tap it.
- At the top of the Settings menu, tap your name.
- In the menu that opens, tap "iTunes and App Store."
- Click on your "Apple ID" at the top of the screen.
- Select "View Apple ID".
- Scroll down and click on “Subscriptions”.
- Scroll through the list of subscriptions until you see "Dropbox," then tap it.
- Choose "Cancel Subscription". (If you want to cancel your free trial, you can choose "Cancel Trial" instead.)
- Press "Confirm".
- Your subscription is now canceled and will revert to a basic 2GB account at the end of the current billing cycle.
How to Cancel a Dropbox Subscription on an Android Device
To cancel your Dropbox subscription on an Android device, you will need to use Google Play. Here's how:
- Go to the “Google Play” app and tap on it.
- Tap the "Menu" icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Make sure you're signed in to the Google account you used to sign up for the subscription by tapping your profile picture in the top right of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the "Payments and Subscriptions" option.
- Select “Subscriptions”.
- Scroll down until you see "Dropbox" and select it.
- Tap "Cancel Subscription". then choose a reason for cancellation.
- Select "Continue".
- Tap "Cancel Subscription". (If you wish to cancel a trial, you can also do so here by selecting "Cancel Trial".)
- Your subscription is now canceled and downgraded to a basic 2 GB account at the end of the billing cycle. To confirm your subscription cancellation, Dropbox will send an email to your Gmail account.
How to Cancel a Dropbox Subscription on an iPad
Canceling a Dropbox subscription on an iPad is similar to an iPhone. You will need to cancel the subscription using your App Store. This is the same process used to cancel any subscription you have acquired on your iPad. Here are the steps to follow:
- On your iPad, navigate to the cog-shaped "Settings" icon and tap it.
- Tap your name.
- Select “iTunes and App Store”.
- Tap your "Apple ID" at the top of the screen before choosing "View Apple ID".
- Scroll down the menu until you see "Subscriptions" and select it.
- Scroll through your subscriptions and select "Dropbox".
- Depending on whether you want to cancel your subscription or a free trial you signed up for, choose "Cancel Subscription" or "Cancel Trial".
- Press "Confirm".
Your subscription is now canceled and will revert to a 2 GB free account at the end of the billing cycle.
Once you've completed the cancellation, it's important to verify that Dropbox has processed the downgrade to the base plan. If you cancel your subscription online on the Dropbox website, you will receive an email confirming the downgrade. The email will have a subject line with “Dropbox plan will not be renewed” and will be sent from “[email protected]”
If you don't receive a confirmation email, you can still verify that the cancellation was successful by following these steps:
- Open the Dropbox webpage in your browser.
- Sign into your account.
- Go to "Account Settings" and click on it.
- Open the "Billing" tab.
- Click "Edit" next to "Billing Period".
- A notification titled “Plan Towards a Scheduled Downgrade” should appear.
If you upgraded to the basic plan using your mobile app store, you should receive a confirmation email from that provider. If you don't receive an email, we suggest you contact their support center.
Canceling your Dropbox subscription may seem difficult due to the different methods you need to follow for different devices. However, you will find that the process is relatively easy. If you follow the steps given in this guide, your subscription will be canceled in no time.
The only thing you will need to think about is where to move your files to store them.
Have you ever canceled your Dropbox subscription on a mobile device, iPad or PC? Did you use a process similar to those presented in this guide? Let us know about your experience in the comments section below.