Since Google acquired YouTube, the integration between the two platforms is progressing. YouTube Music is one of the features that show how beneficial this collaboration can be. Namely, the feature uses Google's powerful algorithms to allow users to access personalized playlists based on their interests.
If you have a premium YouTube Music subscription but want to downgrade to the free plan, you can easily do so. In this article, we will show you all the steps to cancel YouTube Music on different platforms.
How to Cancel YouTube Music on iPhone
Unlike other YouTube features that require a desktop browser to access, such as editing past comments, you can undo YouTube Music through your iPhone app without a problem. To do this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Log in to the YouTube app.
- Tap your profile picture to access your account menu.
- Select “Paid Subscriptions”.
- You'll see a list of current paid subscriptions for your YouTube account. Locate “Music”.
- Under 'Music', tap 'Manage'.
- The YouTube app will open a browser. To continue the cancellation process, you will need to sign in with your Google or YouTube credentials.
- Once the connection is complete, you will return to "Paid Subscriptions". Go to “Music” again.
- Press the "Disable" button.
- The app will ask you if you want to suspend your subscription instead of canceling it. If you want to cancel, confirm deactivation.
It should be noted that using the YouTube app to cancel YouTube Music will only be possible if that is how you signed up for the service. If you used Apple, the cancellation would require your Apple ID. Here is what you should do in this case:
- On your iPhone, go to “Settings”.
- Tap the field with your name and photo to access your account.
- Go to "Subscriptions" and search for YouTube Music.
- Tap YouTube Music to view your options.
- Finally, choose "Cancel Subscription" and confirm the action in the pop-up prompt.
After following these steps, you will have successfully canceled your YouTube Music subscription. You will continue to receive all premium features until the billing period expires. After that, you can only use the free version of YouTube Music.
How to Cancel YouTube Music on Android Device
Canceling YouTube Music on Android devices should be a relatively simple process. Here's what you need to do to end your YouTube Music subscription through an Android phone or tablet:
- Sign into your account.
- Tap the icon showing your profile picture. It should be located at the top right of your screen.
- Tap your icon to display the account menu. From there, navigate to “Paid Subscriptions”.
- The app will show you a list of all current subscriptions. Find "Music" and tap "Manage".
- You will see a prompt asking if you want to cancel or pause the subscription. If you are sure you want to cancel, tap this option.
- Once you have confirmed the action, you can exit the YouTube app. Your membership will be cancelled.
How to Cancel YouTube Music on PC
To cancel YouTube Music on your PC, you need to open your browser and go to YouTube. Then follow these steps:
- Click on your image in the top right. This will bring up the account menu.
- Select "Purchases and Subscriptions".
- You will be redirected to a page showing your paid subscriptions on YouTube. Search for "Music" and choose "Manage Membership".
- A drop-down menu will appear, displaying your membership information. Find your next billing date and click "Deactivate".
- Then you will be asked if you want to pause the subscription for six months rather than cancel it. If you are sure you want to continue, click "Continue to cancel".
- You will get another confirmation prompt. Click "Yes, cancel".
Once these steps are completed, your YouTube Music subscription will be cancelled. You will also have access to all premium features for the duration of the billing period. Then you can continue to use YouTube Music through a free account.
Should you consider keeping your YouTube Music subscription?
With a free plan, YouTube Music works like any other channel on the platform. Since users are not charged, revenue is instead generated through advertisements. The service alone is a great place if you want to explore new music and emerging artists. Considering all of this, it might seem like a paid subscription isn't worth it.
However, having a paid YouTube Music subscription comes with several benefits. As a premium member, you'll be able to listen to your favorite tunes without ads constantly interrupting the experience. Additionally, you will have the option to download songs to your device for offline listening.
Alternatives to YouTube Music
If you decide to cancel your subscription, you might be interested in other services that can replace YouTube Music. Fortunately, many options are available:
- Apple Music
- Google Play Music
- Amazon Music
- tidal music
Most of these services are similar in structure to YouTube Music. They offer both free and paid versions, and once subscribed, you will enjoy listening to ad-free music. Some services will also allow you to download individual tracks or even entire playlists.
Finally, you might find a Spotify or Apple Music subscription superior to YouTube Music due to the size of their music libraries. While YouTube Music has a decent selection of artists and songs, these alternatives have an even bigger collection to ensure you find what you need.
Cancel your membership at any time
YouTube Music can be a very handy service. However, you may not find it necessary to keep your membership with the many offers available today. After all, if you already have other subscriptions, the additional fee, while relatively inexpensive, might seem a little too high.
Luckily, YouTube Music subscription is easy to cancel whether you're using it on your iPhone, Android device, or PC. No matter what platform you are on, following the methods in this article will help you undo it in no time.
Have you already canceled your YouTube subscription? What was the reason for your decision? Let us know in the comments section below.