VLC media player is, and probably always will be, the best free way to watch media files and DVDs on your computer or Android phone. However, if you use it as your default player, you will already know that it does not currently support Chromecast on PC or Android.
Don't worry, because you can use VLC media player to watch media and cast it to your TV via Chromecast.
How to Stream VLC Player to Chromecast from Windows/Mac PC
To stream content from your PC's VLC player to your Chromecast device, you must first check the software version you are using. If you haven't downloaded a VLC player on your Mac or PC, go ahead and do so by visiting the official VLC website.
For those who already have the VLC Player, open the app and head to the help menu. Once there, click Public chat and make sure you are using version 3 or later. This step is where Chromecast streaming was added.
To start streaming, follow these steps:
- Select proofreading in the upper left corner.
- Then press Rendering, then select chromecast from the list of devices.
- Once logged in, choose the Media menu in the upper left corner, select File open… ou Open multiple files..., then navigate to the desired content and select it.
If you don't see Chromecast in your list of available devices, check that your computer and your Chromecast are on the same wifi network.
How to Stream VLC Player to Chromecast from Android Device
Although VLC media player for Android may be compatible with Chromecast, it is not currently available. You have one of two options: a) find another Android video player that streams to Chromecast (of which there are many), or, b) do it the long and battery draining way, because you have to really use VLC Player.
If the latter option is your preference, here's how to do it.
- Install the Google Home app (Chromecast app) on your Android device and pair your Chromecast with it.
- Open VLC media player and start the file you want to stream.
- Open the Chromecast app, then tap the Menu button and select Cast screen/sound.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to cast your device's display to your Chromecast.
- Go back to VLC Player and set the video to full screen mode, and voila!
Casting VLC media player on Android is as simple as that.
Cast to a Chromecast
While you may run into the occasional glitch while using it, streaming to a Chromecast is fairly straightforward when everything is working fine. Remember to check Wi-Fi on both devices and make sure they are on the same network, otherwise it's like trying to communicate with someone on a different phone call.
Did these solutions work for you? Do you cast VLC media player to your Chromecast differently? Feel free to share your impressions with the community in the comments below.