Adding color to text or a concept block makes it easier to identify important information. Plus, it adds to the overall look of the page. While you may know how to change text color, other color settings may still be Greek for you.
If you're looking for detailed steps on how to change background color in Notion, you've come to the right place. We'll share everything there is to know about it, whether you're a PC, iPhone, or Android user.
How to Change Background Color in Notion on PC
Changing the background color in Notion involves changing the color of the content blocks you are working with. There is currently no comprehensive background color customization tool, although many users have requested it. But changing the color of the blocks adds a slight touch of diversity to your Notion pages, making content more easily organized and accessible.
Follow the steps below to change the background color of blocks in Notion on PC:
- Launch the Notion app on your PC.
- Go to the page you want to edit.
- Wait for the page to load and hover over the block you want to change color for.
- Click on the multi-dot icon that appears to the left of the block once you hover over it.
- A new menu will appear. Hover over the "Color" section near the end.
- You will see two sections: “Color” and “Background”. Head to the “Background” section and click on the shade you want for this block.
Additionally, you can use commands to change the background colors of blocks. For example, by typing "/red" inside the block, you can change its color to red. Just make sure you click on the red in the "Background" color section and not on "Color," which is the text.
Please note that the above steps work for all blocks except databases. To add a background to a database, you must first add it to a toggle list.
Here's how to do it:
- Hover over the database and click the plus icon on the left side.
- Type “/toggle list” and click on the option that appears.
- Name the block, hover over it, and click the multi-dot icon on the left.
- Click on the “Color” section at the bottom of the menu and select a tint from the “Background” section.
- Drag and drop the database block into the toggle list. Don't be surprised if the database disappears from the main page.
- Click the arrow next to the name of the toggle list to display it.
- The database will appear colored in the background tint you chose.
Ultimately, you can change the color mode of your Notion app to change the overall background color. However, there are currently only two modes available: light and dark. Here's how to change your current settings:
- Launch Notion on your PC and go to the “Settings and Members” section.
- Go to “Appearance”.
- Select "Dark" from the drop-down menu. If your current mode is set to "Dark", you can change it back to "Light".
How to change background color in Notion on Android app
Changing the background color of a block can make your content more fun and engaging. Besides allowing easier access to information, it also makes your whole page more attractive. Luckily, changing the background color in Notion on the Android app is a relatively simple process.
Just follow the steps below:
- Launch the Notion mobile app on your phone.
- Sign into your account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines at the top left and open a page where you want to change the colors.
- Tap a block you want to customize. You don't have to select all of its text. Tapping on the block will do the job.
- Select the "Color" icon from the bottom toolbar. It's a small square with the letter "A" in it.
- Scroll down to the "Background" section and select the option you like. Note that the "Color" section that precedes "Background" will only change the color of the text.
- Repeat the steps for all the blocks you want to customize.
The Notion app for Android does not yet support changing database colors. To do this, you will need to create a toggle list and insert your database into it through your PC and perform the rest of the steps on your Android phone.
We recommend doing this on your PC as the steps are more complicated when done on a phone. They involve linking the database to the toggle list, with the original version still off the toggle.
Once you have inserted the database into the toggle list, follow the steps below on your Android phone:
- Tap the toggle list containing the database.
- Scroll to the right of the toolbar menu and tap on the "Color" icon. It's a square with the letter "A" inside.
- Choose a color in the "Background" section for your toggle list.
Your toggle list will now change its background color, just like the database.
Now you know how to change the color of your Notion pages on your Android device.
How to Change Background Color in Notion on iPhone App
Changing the background color in Notion using the iPhone app is also a simple process. It's about changing the background color of the blocks that make up your page. Here is the detailed step-by-step guide:
- Launch the Notion app on your iPhone.
- Make sure you are logged in to your account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines at the top left of the screen.
- Enter the page you want to customize.
- Find a block whose colors you want to change and tap anywhere inside it. Don't select all of its content – just tap on it.
- Choose the "Color" icon. It's the one with a little square with the letter "A" in it.
- Head to the "Background" section and choose a color you like. If you choose a color in the "Color" section, it will change the hue of the text instead.
- Apply the above steps for all the blocks you want to color.
You can also change the background color of a database on your iPhone. The only requirement is to create a toggle list and insert the database inside that toggle on your PC. Otherwise, you can only link your database to the toggle list through your phone. Once you have settled this part, continue with the following steps on your iPhone:
- Select the toggle list containing the database.
- Tap the color icon in the toolbar menu. It's the one with the letter "A" in a small square.
- Change the color by selecting a tint in the "Background" section.
The toggle list and database will change background color.
Now you know how to change the background color in Notion on your iPhone.
Make your concept pages stand out
After going through the steps of changing the background color in Notion, you might be surprised at how simple it is to make these changes. We know Notion can be a bit overwhelming for beginners, and it's totally understandable that you need some help at this point. While it's still not possible to change the color of the entire page in the app, you can customize content blocks, which can still be helpful.
Everything you need to know about changing background color in Notion is now at your fingertips. You can create beautifully designed Notion pages to increase your productivity and organize your notes.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this topic, leave us a comment below.