Google Slides is a great tool for creating presentations. It lets you take your projects to a whole new level by including worksheets, flyers, and more.
However, to get the most out of these options, you'll need a thorough understanding of Google Slides. And one of the essential features to create the most effective presentation is knowing how to change the size of slides. In this article, you'll learn how to do just that, as well as how to make sure the slides are laid out correctly.
How to Change Slide Size in Google Slides on PC
Changing the size of slides in Google Slides on PC is relatively simple. The process includes the following steps:
- Go to the Google Slides webpage and open an existing presentation or create a new presentation.
- In the menu bar, go to “File”.
- Click “Page Setup” to display page options.
- You will see the Page Setup dialog box with the page size drop-down menu. The default size of Google Slides pages is 16:9.
- Click on the drop-down menu and choose the preferred page size. You can also go to the "Custom" option and enter the page dimensions manually. Whichever option you choose, press "Apply" once you have selected the size you want.
One thing you should note about this method is that when choosing the "Custom" size, you need to know the exact size you want. Choose the unit type – such as centimeters, inches, points or pixels – and enter the precise values.
The options in the "Layout" menu have certain limitations. For example, if you want to change your slide size to A3 or A4, these are not offered in the drop-down list. For these page sizes, you will need to choose "Custom" and enter the following values:
- A3 page size is 11,7 inches wide and 16,5 inches long
- A4 pages are 8,3 inches wide and 11,7 inches long
How to Change Slide Size in Google Slides on iPhone App
Unfortunately, you cannot change the slide size directly from your iPhone app. Still, that doesn't mean there aren't options for iPhone users. You can use your computer to adjust your presentation's page settings and have them take effect the next time you open a slide on your iPhone. Use the following method:
- Find and copy the address of your presentation to your phone. If you only worked on the presentation from your computer, you won't need to follow this step.
- On the computer, open your browser and navigate to the presentation address.
- Locate the "File" menu on the left side of the window and choose the "Page Setup" option.
- A context menu will appear. On it, you will be able to select the slide size from a drop-down list. The default size is 16:9, and you can choose to change it to one of the sizes offered. If the size you want is not in the menu, go to "Custom" and enter the desired values manually.
- Press “Apply” to save changes. The next time you open the presentation on your iPhone, the slides will be the size you selected.
Note that some common page sizes are not present as options in the drop-down menu. If you want your slides to be on A3 or A4 pages, you will need to configure them by going to "Custom". Here are the measurements for these page sizes:
- A3 is 11,7 x 16,5 inches
- A4 is 8,3 x 11,7 inches
How to Change Slide Size in Google Slides on Android App
The Google Slides app for Android phone does not have the option to change the size of slides. You can only make the change through your computer, but the next time you open the Google Slides app on your phone, it will display the presentation with the slide sizes you chose.
Here's how to change the slide size in Google Slides on your computer:
- Open the presentation you want to edit in your browser.
- Click on “File” then on “Page Setup”.
- Click on page setup. In the pop-up window that appears, there will be a drop-down menu with different page sizes to choose from. Choose one of the options provided or go to "Custom" to manually enter the page dimensions.
- When you have chosen the page size that suits you, click on “Apply”.
You will find several different page sizes in the drop-down menu. However, some options, such as A3 and A4, are lacking. To configure your slides to these sizes, choose "Custom" from the drop-down menu and enter these page dimensions:
- For A3, enter 11,7 inches in the first box and 16,5 inches in the second box.
- For A4, enter 8,3 and 11,7 inches respectively in the first and second boxes.
How to Change Slide Size in Google Slides on an iPad
Just like with the iPhone app, it is not possible to change the slide size on an iPad through the app. However, you can still make the change using your browser – it can be Safari or another browser of your choice. The method to change the size of slides on your iPad in this way consists of several simple steps:
- Open the Google Slides app on your iPad and find the "Options" sidebar.
- Go to “Share and export” and press “Copy link”.
- You have now copied the presentation link to the clipboard. Exit the application and open your browser.
- Paste the presentation link in the address bar of your browser and go to the presentation page.
- In the "File" menu, open the "Page Setup" dialog box. You will see a pop-up window with the page size menu.
- Select one of the slide sizes provided or choose a custom size. Once you're happy with your choice, hit "Apply" to save the changes.
How to create an 8,5 by 11 slide in Google Slides?
The “letter” or 8,5 x 11 inch page size is very common, especially in the United States, where it is considered the standard. You can easily set your page size to "letter" in Google Slides using your computer's browser.
Here is the method to achieve this:
1. Go to Google Slides in your browser.
2. Open an existing presentation or create a new presentation.
3. Navigate to "File" in the menu bar, then to "Page Setup".
4. In the pop-up that appears, choose "Custom" from the drop-down menu. The menu will show 16:9 as the default page size.
5. Once you see the page size options, enter 8.5 in the first box and 11 in the second box. Make sure the units used are inches, not centimeters, points, or pixels.
6. Choose "Apply" at the bottom right to save the changes.
How do I make sure the new slide size is not distorted?
Images and text may appear distorted on the slide after changing the page size. This problem can appear due to the incorrect configuration of several options. To make sure your slides display correctly, check the following settings:
• Ratio d’aspect
• Image resizing options
• Stretch the image to cover the slide
You can fix all distortion issues by locking the aspect ratio of your images.
Get your Google Slides the right size
You can make very effective presentations using Google Slides, especially if you know how to set them up to fit the screen. Now that you've learned how to change slide size on Google Slides, it shouldn't be a problem.
What slide size do you prefer for your presentations? Did you manage to change the size to suit your needs? Tell us in the comments section below.