Netflix, the hugely popular streaming service, offers content and settings in multiple languages. This can cause some confusion when the screen displays a language other than your native language. It may have been set accidentally by someone else using your account, or set to this default language. Whatever the reason, knowing how to change Netflix language is handy information to have.
In this article, we are going to show you how to change the language on Netflix for all available platforms.
How to Change the Language on Netflix on Windows, Mac, or Chromebook
If you're using Netflix on a computer, whether it's a PC, Mac, or Chromebook, changing the language settings for Netflix is the same process. Follow the steps below if your settings do not match the desired language:
To change profile language settings
- Go to the Netflix website.
- If you are not automatically signed in, sign in now.
- In the upper right corner of your home screen, click your profile icon.
- In the drop-down menu, click Account. If you can't figure out the choices because the language has a different script, it should be the choice right after the line.
- Once on your account page, scroll all the way down to the My Profile section. Click on Language, it should be a choice just below your profile picture. You can still browse all available links if the first link does not open the language page.
- On the Language screen, you will have the choice of the language to set. Each language is displayed in its own writing style, so it should be easy to find what you want.
- Once you have chosen the language you want, click on save.
- Your account screen should now be in the language you set.
To change subtitles and audio
- Go to the Netflix website.
- Sign in to the account whose language settings you want to change.
- On the home screen, choose any show title and click on it. Let the show play.
- Once it is playing, click on the Pause button. It should be the button at the bottom left of the screen.
- When paused, hover over the menu bars, at the bottom right of the menu, click on the Subtitles icon. It's the one in the shape of a word balloon.
- You will have choices for audio and subtitle settings. Note that the available languages depend on both the show's language settings and your profile. Not all shows are available in the same languages. If the language you want does not appear in the available choices, you will need to enable it on the profile page. Refer to the instructions above for changing the profile language to do this.
- Your audio and subtitles should now be changed. Otherwise, try reloading the video to allow the changes to apply.
How to Change Netflix Language on Android Device
Misconfiguration of the language on the mobile version of the Netflix app can also occur. Fortunately, this is a fairly easy problem to solve. If you want to change the current default language of Netflix for Android, follow these steps:
Changing profile language settings
- Open your Netflix mobile app. Note that you must have an internet connection to do this.
- Log in and choose the profile with the language settings you want to change.
- In the lower right corner of the screen, you will see the Suite option menu. This is the icon that looks like three lines.
- Press Account, if you don't understand the choices given, it should be the second option right after the line. Above the line should be the My list option with a checkmark on it.
- You will be redirected to your Netflix account page. Scroll all the way down to see icons for all available profiles on the account. Click the drop-down arrow next to the profile whose language you want to change.
- On the Language option, press Change. It should be the second item in the drop-down list.
- You will have the choice of the language to change. Luckily, these choices are displayed in each language's particular script, so you can easily find the one you want.
- Once you've toggled the language you want, scroll down, then tap save.
- You can now exit this screen and return to your Netflix app home page. Your language settings should now have been changed.
Change subtitles and audio
- Open your Netflix mobile app and sign in to the profile you want to edit.
- Choose any available title, then press play.
- Once the video is playing, pause it.
- Press the Audio and subtitles icon. It should be the one with the balloon image next to it.
- A small options screen will appear with separate tabs for audio and subtitles. Choose the language in which you want to set the video. Press on Apply.
- Your video should now be switched to the language you set. Note that not all shows are available in all languages. Additionally, the choices available to you in the audio and subtitles tab are limited by your profile's default language. If an available language is not listed in the choices, you can enable that language in your profile settings. To do this, follow the instructions given above.
How to Change the Netflix Language on an iPhone
Although installing the app requires going to the Apple App Store, the mobile version of Netflix is not platform dependent. This means that changing the language of the iOS version of Netflix is practically the same as doing it for Android. If your language settings for the iPhone version of the app have been changed, refer to the method used to change the language for Android as detailed above.
How to Change Netflix Language on Roku Device
Any language changes made on your Netflix account on the website should also reflect on your Roku TV. The changes are not platform dependent, so you can follow the instructions given on the PC or Android versions to change the Roku settings. If you want to change subtitles and audio on the Roku itself, follow these steps:
- Switch to the Roku home screen by pressing the button Home button on your remote.
- Then scroll down and choose Parameters.
- Then scroll down and choose Reduced mobility.
- From the Accessibility menu, choose Preferred subtitle languagee.
- From the list, choose the language you prefer.
- Your Roku should then use that subtitle language if available. Note that changes to Roku settings will not necessarily change Netflix profile settings if you configure them on the website.
How to Change Netflix Language on an Amazon Firestick
Similar to the Roku platform, Netflix settings can be changed independently on the website. Here's what you need to do to change Firestick's local subtitle options:
- Open a video and let it play.
- On your Fire TV remote or Fire TV app, tap Menu.
- From the options, choose Subtitles and audio. Under the Subtitles and captions menu, select Off. Several choices will be displayed for the languages to set. Choose your preference.
- Push it Menu button again.
- Your video should now play in the language you selected.
How to Change the Netflix Language on an Apple TV
As with other streaming devices, the actual profile language settings do not depend on the platform but on the web page. However, if you want to change the subtitles on your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Go to your Apple TV home screen.
- Navigate and choose Parameters.
- From the choices, select General.
- To choose Reduced mobilityet.
- Depending on your Apple TV model, you'll see either Closed captions + SDH or find this choice under Subtitles and captionsg.
- From this menu, you can change the subtitle settings as you see fit.
- Exit this screen when you are done.
How to Change the Netflix Language on a Smart TV
Smart TVs now come with their own subtitles and audio settings that you can change independently from the Netflix program. Refer to your Smart TV manual on how to change the language settings according to your model. Generally, the settings are located under language options somewhere under System Settings.
Here are two frequently asked questions about how to change the language on Netflix:
1. How to reset the default language on Netflix?
There is technically no default language setting for the Netflix app. The program sets the language automatically when you create a profile, which is then considered the default language. If you save language changes, this will be considered the new default. You will need to navigate to language options again to go back. Depending on your platform, refer to the PC or Android instructions given above to change your language settings to a new default.
2. Does changing the language also change the default subtitle language?
Although the audio and subtitle language settings can be changed independently of the profile settings, changing the profile language will also change the audio and subtitles. Your profile language dictates both the default audio and subtitle languages used, as well as any currently available dialects. If you don't want to use your profile language for your audio or subtitles, edit the profile first, then edit the audio and subtitles afterwards.
Avoid a confusing situation
Changing the language settings for Netflix can be quite confusing, especially when you can't even read the choices. Knowing and remembering how to change the dialect to something you can understand will help avoid headaches if this happens.
Do you know any other ways to change Netflix language that were not given here? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.