As an Instagram user, you'll know that adding a location to your posts makes them more discoverable. Assigning a foreign placement to a post helps boost engagement while creating a custom placement makes it easier to find your business.
If you want to know how to change the location of your Instagram posts, you've come to the right place. In this article, we take a look at how to do just that on several different devices. We'll take a look.
How to Change the Location of an Instagram Post on an iPhone
Changing the location on an Instagram post using your iPhone is simple. If you wanted to edit a post to add a location, here are the steps:
- On your Instagram profile, find the post you want to add a location to and tap on it.
- Tap the icon with the three horizontal dots at the top right of the screen.
- Select "Edit".
- Tap "Add location". This option appears under your username.
- You can now search for a location of your choice or select one of the suggested locations provided by Instagram below the search bar.
- Once you've added your location, tap "Done" in the top right of the screen.
Your message will now be saved with the chosen location. If you want to change this location, here are the steps to follow:
- Navigate to the post whose location you want to change and tap on it.
- Tap the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose "Edit" from the menu.
- Tap the location name that appears under your username.
- You will be offered two options “Edit Location” or “Delete Location”. Choose “Change location”.
- You can now search for the place you want to add or select one of the options provided by Instagram.
- Once you're happy with your choice, confirm it by tapping "Done."
How to Change Instagram Post Location on Android
If you're using an Android device, changing the location on an Instagram post only takes a few quick steps. To add a location to an existing post, follow these steps:
- On your Instagram app, go to your profile and select the post you want to add a location to.
- Tap the icon with the three vertical dots and select "Edit" from the menu that appears.
- Select the blue highlighted "Add Location" option that appears below your username.
- You can now search for a location or choose one from the suggested locations provided by Instagram. (Usually these suggested options are locations close to where you are currently.)
- When you're satisfied, click the blue checkmark icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
Your post now has a location added. If you later decide to change this to reflect another location, you should follow these steps:
- Head to your profile page and open the post whose location you want to change by tapping on it once.
- Select the icon in the upper right corner of the screen that has three vertical dots.
- Choose "Edit".
- Tap on the existing location that is under your username (it will be displayed in blue.)
- Search for a location or select one of Instagram's suggested locations from the menu below the search bar.
- Confirm your choice by tapping the blue tick at the top of the screen.
How to Change the Location of an Instagram Post on PC
Instagram on your PC offers limited interaction. You can view posts, like them, and even comment on them. View people's stories, send private messages and even save the images you like the most. What the web version of Instagram won't let you do is upload or edit posts.
Unfortunately, changing or adding a location to an Instagram post is on the list of things you can't do. If you want to change the location of your post, you will need to do so through the mobile app.
Can I create my own custom location for Instagram?
Yes you can. The location tag you create can be anywhere, like your business address. Or you can create a fictional place and create a tag for it too, for example, "My house". To do this, you will need to use both Facebook and Instagram, as they are related and belong to the same company. Creating a custom location on Instagram is simple and only requires a few steps:
1. Launch your Facebook application and log in.
2. Create a post by tapping "What do you think?" »
3. Select "Save".
4. In the search bar, type the name of the location you want to create. If a location with the same name already exists, you will need to modify yours slightly to make it unique.
5. Tap "Search" or "Done".
6. Scroll down to the bottom and tap "Add [Name of your location]. "
7. Fill in the “Location Name”, “Address” and “City”, then tap “Save Custom Location”.
8. You can now navigate away from Facebook.
The next step is to use this location in Instagram:
1. Open your Instagram app.
2. Navigate to the post whose location you want to change and tap on it to open.
3. Click on the three-dot icon at the top right of the screen and choose "Edit".
4. Select the existing location under your username.
5. In the search bar, enter the name of the new location you just created on Facebook.
6. When it appears, tap it to select it.
7. Tap "Done".
You have now added your custom location to your Instagram post.
Which location is best for engagement on Instagram?
Now that you know how to change the location of your Instagram posts, you may wonder which ones to use. If you want to increase traffic to your posts, it's best to use placements that users crawl frequently and have a high tag rate. Some of them include London, Italy, Your City, New York, California, Los Angeles, and Our Country.
New set of slots
Changing the location on your Instagram posts becomes quick and easy once you know how. The benefits of doing so are many, especially if you are an influencer or manage an Instagram business account.
By following the simple steps in this article, you'll soon be switching locations like a pro. Now all you need to consider is which location to choose.
Have you ever changed the location of your Instagram posts? Did you use a process similar to those provided in this guide? Or did you use another method? Let us know in the comments section below.