Discord's default interface is specifically designed to support the gaming and communication experience. It offers users a lot of customization possibilities, including the ability to change their background. You can switch between "Dark", "Light" or "Sync with your computer" themes. For more sophisticated options, you'll need to install the BetterDiscord app.
This article will show you how to change Discord background on various devices using the built-in options and the official app.
How to Change Your Background or Theme in Discord on PC
You can change your appearance in Discord by choosing one of the built-in options or choosing a theme from the BetterDiscord webpage. Here's how to do both from your PC:
- Launch the Discord app on your PC.
- Select the “User Settings” gear option at the bottom of the left pane.
- Under "App Settings", select "Appearance".
- In the "Theme" section, choose "Dark", "Light" or "Synchronize with your computer".
- Click the "Esc" button to return to the home screen and the theme you have chosen will be applied.
- Navigate to the BetterDiscord.app to install the app.
- Click the "Download (version)" button to download the latest installer.
- Once complete, open the BetterDiscord windows.exe file to begin installation.
- Follow the on-screen prompts. The app will restart once installed.
- To change themes, visit the Themes page on the BetterDiscord site.
- Choose the theme, then upload it to Discord's theme folder. The default path is usually: "C:UsersUsernameAppDataRoamingBetterDiscordthemes".
- If not, open the theme folder and copy the theme there. Next, go to Discord's "User Settings".
- Next, go to “BetterDiscord Themes” to make sure your chosen one is enabled.
To stop using BetterDiscord, you will need its installer. If you no longer have it, download it again, then:
- Accept the license agreement and click "Next".
- Select “Uninstall BetterDiscord”.
- Choose the path/version, then "Uninstall".
How to Change Your Background in Discord on an Android Device
BetterDiscord is not yet compatible with mobile devices, so you can customize your background or theme using an in-app option. Here's how it's done:
- Open the Discord app.
- At the bottom, tap the "User Settings" gear icon.
- Under "App Settings", choose "Appearance".
- Select your favorite theme and skin and enjoy.
How to Change Your Background in Discord on an iPhone
You can change your Discord background/theme to one of the built-in options, as BetterDiscord is not compatible with mobile devices. Follow these steps to change your theme:
- Launch the Discord app.
- Tap the "User Settings" gear icon at the bottom.
- Under 'App Settings', tap 'Appearance'.
- Select your preferred theme and look.
Your choice will now be displayed.
How to change your background in a Discord video?
To display a virtual background during your Discord video calls, equip your PC with the following configuration:
- GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060, Quadro RTX 3000, TITAN RTX or better.
- RAM : 8 Go of RAM.
- Processor: Intel Core i5 8600 recommended, AMD Ryzen r5 2060 and later.
- Driver: NVIDIA display driver version 456.38 and later.
- Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit.
- A stable internet connection.
- Go to the NVIDIA broadcast page.
- Click the "Download Now" button.
- The app should open after installation. If not, you may need to use the appropriate NVIDIA broadcast to download the "R455 driver".
- To do so, visit the NIVIDA GEFORCE Drivers page.
- To find the driver for your system, fill out the form. For "Product Type", select the GPU you have.
- In "Download Type", select "Gaming Ready Driver".
- Click the "Start Search" button, then "Download" to download the driver.
- Close the game-ready driver and NVIDIA Broadcast application.
- Reopen the NVIDIA Broadcast app, then select the "Camera" tab.
- In “Camera source”, select your webcam and your resolution.
- Once you access "Effects", you will have four options:
- “Blur Background” blurs the area behind you.
- "Replace background" allows you to display a virtual background image. This option and "background blur" do not require a green screen to work.
- "Background Removal" applies a black background which can be left as is, or you can display something, like your game.
- "Auto-frame" centers the camera around your head no matter where you move.
- Once you have chosen your camera background effect, open the Discord app.
- Click on “User settings”.
- Select “Voice and Video”.
- In "Video Settings", select "Camera (NVIDIA Broadcast)" instead of your webcam.
- Click the "Esc" button to return to your home screen.
Once configured, you can switch between different background types through the NVIDIA Broadcast app.
Transform your Discord theme
Discord's default theme may not suit everyone's tastes or may get boring after a while.
Luckily, Discord has some great options to transform the look of your interface. Plus, installing the BetterDiscord app gives you even more creative freedom.
Which built-in background or theme do you prefer and why? Have you installed BetterDiscord? If so, what theme did you choose? Tell us in the comments section below.