When first setting up a Chromecast account, it's not uncommon for your initial name to be something you found quickly to speed up the setup process. The chosen name may contain a typo or may even be a bit embarrassing. Therefore, it's good to know how to change the name of your Chromecast from something random to something more useful.
Luckily, Chromecast lets you do just that, no matter what device you're using. Here we will guide you step by step on how to successfully update your Chromecast name.
How to Change a Chromecast Name on an iPhone
iPhones are the smartphone of choice for many Americans. Changing your Chromecast name using an iPhone is a simple process.
If you want to change your Chromecast name on your iPhone, you must first download the Google Home app from the App Store. This app is required to set up Chromecast on your iPhone.
Once the download is complete, follow these steps to change your Chromecast name:
- From your iPhone's "Home" page, open the "Google Home" app.
- Find the room where you installed your Chromecast. If you have more than one, it may require some scrolling.
- Look for the "Chromecast" icon (it looks like a TV with three blue lines on the bottom left).
- Tap "Device Information",
- Next, select "Device name" and enter your Chromecast's new name.
- Press "Save". Your changes will then be updated.
How to Change a Chromecast Name on an Android
When changing your Chromecast name on an Android, you'll need to download the Google Home app, just like with the iPhone. From there, it's just a few steps to change your name:
- From your Android's "Home" page, open the "Google Home" app.
- Identify the room where your Chromecast is installed. You may need to scroll down a bit, depending on how many coins you have.
- Once you've selected your room, look for the "Chromecast" icon (a TV with three blue lines on the bottom left).
- Tap "Device Information",
- Select "Device name" and enter your new Chromecast name.
- Press "Save" to update your changes.
How to Change a Chromecast Name on a PC
If you don't have the Google Home app installed on your phone, it's possible to change your Chromecast name directly from your PC. All you need is to access Google Chrome. The steps to rename your Chromecast are the same whether you're using a Windows or Mac computer:
- From your PC, open Chrome.
- Next to the search bar at the top of the screen, select the three vertical dots.
- Then choose "Cast" from the drop-down menu that appears.
- A pop-up window will appear. Select your current Chromecast name.
- Click on the "Chromecast" icon, which will now be where the three vertical dots were (it looks like a TV with three lines in the lower left corner).
- Select "Manage Cast Devices".
- On the screen that appears, click on the gear icon.
- In the Chromecast settings, choose a new name next to where it says "Device name".
- Click "Apply" to save your changes.
How to Change a Chromecast Name on a Mi TV
You can also change your Chromecast name directly from your Mi TV.
If you want to do this, you will need to have downloaded the Google Home app. Once done, follow these steps:
- From your remote control, select the “Home” button.
- Select the "Google Home" app from the list of category options.
- Choose the Chromecast device icon (a TV with three blue lines on the bottom left).
- Tap the "Settings" icon (it looks like a gear).
- Choose the device you want to rename.
- Next to "Device name," enter your new Chromecast name.
- Select "Apply" to save the change.
How to Change Chromecast Name on Sony TV?
To change the name of your Chromecast on your Sony TV, you must first download the Google Home app. You can do this through the Google Play Store on your TV or any other app store you may be using.
- Press the "Home" button on your remote.
- Select “Settings”.
- Next, tap on the “Apps” button.
- In the app categories, select the "Google Home" app.
- Choose the Chromecast device icon (it looks like a TV with three lines on the bottom left).
- Tap the “Settings” (gear) icon.
- Select the device you want to rename.
- Type your new Chromecast name next to "Device name."
- Press the "Apply" button to save it.
How do I change my Chromecast Wi-Fi network?
To change the Wi-Fi network you use for your Chromecast, follow these steps:
1. From your mobile device or TV, access the Google Home app.
2. Select "Chromecast", then "Settings".
3. Then choose “Wi-Fi”.
4. Select "Forget this network" and confirm.
5. Tap the “+” sign to set up a new network.
6. Follow the prompts to connect your Chromecast to your new Wi-Fi.
What's in a name?
Knowing how to change your Chromecast name can be a helpful tip. Fortunately, making the switch is a relatively simple process, no matter what device you're using.
Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to download the Google Home app on your smartphone. You'll be guaranteed easy access to your Chromecast settings and be able to update your account wherever you are.
Have you tried changing your Chromecast name? What was your reason? What method did you use? Let us know in the comments section below.