Even with the release of Windows 11, Windows 10 is Microsoft's most innovative and ambitious operating system in years. Along with a host of system performance and usability improvements, and exciting options for signing in with HoloLens and Xbox One, Windows 10 also features an all-new browser, Microsoft Edge.
Previously called Project Spartan, Microsoft Edge is the successor to Internet Explorer – and it's ridiculously fast; around 112% faster than Google Chrome in some benchmark tests.
Microsoft Edge comes pre-installed with Windows 10 as your default internet browser, but if you prefer to use Firefox or Chrome instead – perhaps due to your commitment to an Android or iOS smartphone – this guide will show you how.
How to Change Your Default Browser in Windows 10
- First, download the browser you want to use instead. Whether it's Firefox, Opera or Chrome, the process is the same. Simply go to the relevant website, download and install the browser of your choice.
- You can now use your alternate browser to access the web, but clicking links in other apps will still invoke Microsoft Edge by default. To change this, navigate to the Start menu and click Parameters.
- Then click applications.
- Then click Default apps. Alternatively, typing the words "change web browser" or "change default browser" into the Windows 10 Cortana box will have the same result.
- You will see a list of functions with a default program associated with each. To change your default browser, simply scroll down to Web browser, click on Microsoft Edge and choose the browser you prefer to use from the resulting list.
- Your default browser is now changed. Whenever you click on a link, Windows 10 will use your chosen browser instead of Microsoft Edge. However, if you prefer the speed and clean user interface of Microsoft's latest web browser, it's easy to go back. Just repeat steps 1-3 and select Microsoft Edge as your default browser.
Setting default settings for your browser
A web browser is capable of so much these days, here's how to set some default settings for it.
- Open the Default applications menu as shown above, scroll down and click Set default values per application.
- Now scroll down to the browser of your choice, click on it and select Manage.
- Then set it as the default for the files you want, such as .pdf files.
- To change it, just click on it and select the browser of your choice.
Default apps on Windows 10
Changing the default browser in Windows 10 is quick and easy. With just a few clicks, you can set your favorite browser to open by default, making it even easier to sync bookmarks and emails across devices.
What is your favorite browser? Did you encounter any problems? Let us know below.
Looking for a VPN to use with Windows? Check out Buffer, voted the best VPN for the UK by BestVPN.com.