When you create an eBay account, the platform automatically assigns you a username. As you can imagine, it's a string of letters, numbers, and dashes that are quite unremarkable. Now, if you only plan to use eBay for shopping, your username might not be that important to you. However, if you want to build your eBay profile as a seller, a solid username can make a significant difference.
If you have chosen an exceptional username that will give you an advantage, all you have to do is go to your eBay profile and edit it. The process is relatively quick and simple, and we'll walk you through every step.
How to Change an eBay Username on a PC
Many people prefer using eBay on their computers because it can be easier to browse, read reviews, and open a million tabs at once.
The good news is that changing your username on your Windows or Mac PC only takes a few clicks. Here's what you need to do:
- Access eBay through your browser.
- Click on the "My eBay" option in the upper right corner. Make sure you are logged in.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Summary".
- On this page, you will see the automatically assigned eBay username at the top. Click on the “Account” option just below the username.
- From there, select "Personal Information", which is right under the "Personal Information" section.
- There you will see all the information about your account, including the username ID. Click on the “Edit” option to its right.
- Enter your new username and select "Save".
The change will be automatic. You will see your new username all over the website.
How to Change an eBay Username on an iPad
One of the great things about the eBay mobile app for iPad is that you can shop from your couch. You can also sell fantastic items and read reviews from happy customers.
Unfortunately, the eBay mobile app has some limitations, and one of them is that you can't change your username within the app.
If you navigate to the Settings and Account Information section, you will only see your email address and phone number. To change the username, you will need to use a mobile browser. Here's how:
- Launch a browser and navigate to the eBay website.
- Log in to your eBay account, then switch to desktop mode from your browser menu.
- Click on your name at the top left of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Account Settings".
- Under "Personal Information", select "Personal Information". You may need to enter your password again.
- Your username will be at the top of the list. Click the "Edit" button to edit it.
- Enter your new username and press Save.
You can also use this method to change your username on your computer.
How to Change an eBay Username on an iPhone
Your eBay app for iPhone is exactly the same as your iPad app, just designed to fit a different layout. So you can't change your eBay username on the iPhone app either.
To change your username to something more fun, descriptive, or to rename yourself on eBay, you'll need to access the desktop mode of your mobile browser. This is how it works:
- Open your iPhone's browser, go to eBay's website and sign in to your account.
- In the browser menu, select the "Desktop site" option.
- Tap your name in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Choose the "Account Settings" option from the drop-down menu.
- Select "Personal Information" in the "Personal Information" section. Enter your password if required.
- Tap the "Edit" option next to your username.
- Enter the new username and select "Save".
How to Change an eBay Username on an Android Device
Those with Android mobile devices are in the same boat as iOS users – they cannot change their username through the eBay mobile app.
As most Android users use Chrome as their primary browser, we are going to show you how to change eBay username through this efficient browser:
- Launch Chrome on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Log in to your eBay account, then tap the three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- In the menu, select the "Desktop site" option.
- Tap your name in the top left corner.
- In the drop-down menu, tap on “Account Settings”.
- Tap on "Personal Information", located under the "Personal Information" section.
- You will see your username at the very top. Select the "Edit" button next to it.
- Enter a user name that suits you and press "Save".
Important Facts to Remember About Changing Your eBay Username
It's essential to remember that eBay allows you to change your name every 30 days, not sooner. This is why it is so important not to rush into decisions.
Try to be as sure as possible that you've chosen an awesome new username, especially if you're primarily a seller on the platform.
Also, changing your name is not a way to escape your past behavior on eBay. The company keeps user ID history regardless of how many times someone changes their username.
Also, there are no spaces in eBay user IDs, so you'll have to use hyphens to put two or more words together. Your username must be at least six alphanumeric characters and cannot contain "@, (, ), &, >, <" symbols.
Can I change my eBay username and keep my feedback?
Yes. When you change your username, your comments remain as they are. The only difference will be the new username attached to it.
The change is indicated by a small icon next to the new username, which will remain there for two weeks. This is eBay's way of notifying users that you recently changed your username.
Make the most of the new username
Changing eBay username can be a great way to reinvent yourself as an eBay seller. If you use eBay for specific purchases, your username can differentiate you as an enthusiastic buyer of antiques or vintage postage stamps.
No matter what prompted you, changing your username is a quick process. The only major downside is that the eBay mobile app doesn't support this feature yet. You will need to access the desktop version of eBay using your mobile browser to make the change on the go.
Do you think it's time to change your eBay username? Do you find the steps easy to follow? Let us know in the comments section below.