When using Apple Maps, you'll likely start from your home address often. To identify your personal address, the application uses the address entered in your personal contact card.
But what if you move? Although the app can detect your location, it won't know when your home address has changed. They will continue to use your old address as their home address. Therefore, you will need to update your contact card details. Read on to learn how to change your home address for more efficient directions in Apple Maps.
How to Change Your Home Address in Apple Maps on an iPhone
You can either edit your contact card directly from "Contacts" or access your contact card to edit from the Maps app. Follow these steps to change it via "Contacts:"
- Open the “Phone” application.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap "Contacts".
- Tap your contact card at the top.
- Tap "Edit" in the top right.
- Choose "Add address" to enter your new information. You can also tap the minus symbol (-) next to your home address, then tap "Delete" to delete it and start over.
- When you're done, select "Done."
If you have Maps open, your contact card can be found this way:
- In Maps, swipe up to show the 'Favorites' section, then tap 'Show all'.
- Select the Info icon (i) next to "Home".
- Above your address, choose “Contact card”.
- Follow steps 4-6 above to change your home address.
How to Change Your Home Address in Apple Maps on an iPad
Like the iPhone, you can update your home address from the "Contacts" app or access your contact card through Maps. Here are the steps to change your home address from "Contacts:"
- Access the "Phone" application.
- Tap "Contacts" at the bottom of your screen.
- Select your contact card at the top.
- At the top right, tap "Edit".
- Select "Add address" to enter your new location. Or you can tap the minus sign (-) next to your home address and tap "Delete" to start over.
- Press "Done" when you are finished.
If you're in Maps, here are the steps to locate your contact card:
- Swipe up to show 'Favorites', then tap 'Show all'.
- Tap the Info icon (i) next to 'Home'.
- Tap "Contact Card" above the address.
- Follow steps 4-6 to change your address.
How to Change Your Home Address in Apple Maps on a Mac
The steps to change your home address on a Mac are similar to the instructions for iPhone and iPad. The easiest way is from "Contacts", or you can access your contact card through Maps. Here's how to update your address in "Contacts:"
- Launch the "Contacts" application from the dock.
- Click on your card, then on "Edit".
- At the bottom, select "Home" to add your new address.
- To save your new address, click “Done”.
From the Maps app, follow these steps to access your contact card:
- At the top of "Show your current location," select the arrow next to the search field.
- Next to "Home" on the map, click the Info (i) icon.
- Above your address, choose “Show contact”.
- Follow steps 2-4 above to update your home details.
How do I save locations to Apple Maps?
In Maps, you can save places you visit frequently, such as your home, workplace, friend's house, etc., to your favorites list. Follow these steps to add a location to your favorites using your iOS device:
1. Open the "Maps" application.
2. Tap the plus sign (+) under "Favorites" to add an address.
3. Start typing the new address; if the full address is provided in the list, tap on it. A contact card with the new address will appear.
4. Check that the details are correct, then under 'Type' choose the location type.
5. Once you're happy with the details, tap "Done" in the top right corner. The new location will be added to your favorites.
How do I share my ETA on iPhone?
Follow these steps to share your ETA from your iOS device:
1. Open the "Maps" application, then choose your destination.
2. Select 'Directions', your travel method, then 'Go'.
3. Once the route has been started, the 'Share ETA' button may be available at the bottom of the screen.
4. Alternatively, tap the footer displaying the arrival time, then tap "Share ETA".
5. Next, choose one of the contacts that iOS thinks is most likely to want to share with or tap "Contacts".
6. After selecting the person you want, your ETA will be sent to them.
Moving on Apple Maps
Apple Maps provides easy driving directions and estimated arrival times for places you need to go. It uses the home address entered in your contact card as the starting point of your home. If your home address has changed, Maps isn't smart enough to detect it automatically. Therefore, you can tell Maps that you've moved by updating the home address in your contact card.
Has Apple Maps always been accurate with your directions? Has it ever sent you to the wrong place? Tell us about it in the comments section below.