Social media apps are always looking for new ways to personalize content. One way to do this is to provide users with regional topics.
Snapchat is one such app that comes with several location-based features. It's also one of the most popular social media apps available, with 293 million daily active users worldwide.
In 2022, Snapchat released the “Snap Map”. Along with letting your friends know exactly where you are, this GPS-based feature also offers filters, stickers, and more based on your location.
However, some security issues may arise when reviewing the app's tracking feature. In this article, we are going to show you how to change your location on Snapchat.
How to Change Your Location in Snapchat on an iPhone
One way to change your Snapchat location on your iPhone is to install ExpressVPN. This software enables privacy and security by changing or hiding your IP address.
Using ExpressVPN to change a virtual location is a great way to ensure your location will change on Snapchat.
The first thing you need to do is download ExpressVPN:
- Go to Chrome or Safari, then head to the “ExpressVPN” setup page and create an account.
- Log in and enter the verification code that was sent to your email address.
- Under "Configuration", select "Full manual configuration of ExpressVPN for iOS".
- A new tab will open explaining that ExpressVPN settings are loading on your iPhone. If prompted, tap "Allow".
Next, the VPN configuration must be installed:
- Go to settings. »
- Tap "General".
- Tap "Profile".
- Select “ExpressVPN” to begin installation. You will be asked to confirm your identity by entering your device's passcode.
- Select "Install" in the pop-up window that appears.
The final step to changing your location is to connect to a VPN server.
- Go to settings. »
- Choose “General”.
- Tap "VPN".
- In the VPN menu, you will see a list of server locations. Select the location you want to connect to, then turn on the toggle to turn it on.
Once you complete these steps, your Snapchat location will automatically update to the location you chose.
How to Change Your Location in Snapchat on Android Device
Fortunately, there is a way to change your Snapchat location using your Android device.
One way to do this is to download the ExpressVPN app on your Android device.
- From Chrome (or your browser of choice), go to ExpressVPN website.
- Create an account, then log in using your credentials.
- Scroll down to the download section and tap "Android" or "Set up ExpressVPN".
- Press the "Download from Google Play" button.
- Use Google Play to install the app and authorize access.
- In the app, press the green "OK" button to complete the setup.
- Confirm that you allow the app to intercept network traffic.
- Once all the previous steps are completed, you will notice two round buttons. The small button allows you to change location.
- Change your location to whatever you want and log into your Snapchat account. The location should be changed automatically on the app.
How to Change Your Location on Snapchat Filters
Snapchat users can often find the filters available to people only in certain geographies. For example, New Yorkers will have different filters available for your City residents.
Snap Map automatically detects your location by pinning your Bitmoji on a world map.
But how to simulate your position to access more filters?
The first thing you need to do is enable Snapchat filters in the first place. To do this:
- On your smartphone, go to “Settings”.
- Tap on “Privacy”, then on “Location services”.
- Flip the toggle to "OK."
- Head over to Snapchat and open "Settings" by tapping the cog icon.
- Tap "Manage" and enable "Filters" by tapping the toggle.
- Location filters will now be ready to use!
Now is the time to change your location on Snap Map. One way to do this is to change your location through ExpressVPN.
- From your browser of choice, open the ExpressVPN website.
- If you haven't already, create an account.
- Log in using your credentials.
- Select the “Configure ExpressVPN” option.
- Install the ExpressVPN app on your phone.
- Press the red "OK" button to complete the setup in the app.
- Once all the previous steps have been completed, select the small round button labeled "Change location".
- Choose the location you want to use, then log in to your Snapchat account.
- You will now have access to the filters there.
Can Snapchat location ever be wrong?
Yes, sometimes the location can be wrong due to misconfiguration. Also, if someone else is logged into Snapchat using your account details, the wrong area shown on Snap Map may be displayed.
Does Snapchat update location on Snap map?
Unlike apps like Google Maps, Snap Map doesn't automatically update in the background when you change locations. The only time Snapchat updates your location is when the app is actively open on your chosen device.
How to hide your location using Snap Map?
If you want to hide your location on Snapchat, it's relatively easy to do so directly through the app. The process is the same whether you are using an iOS or Android device.
1. Launch the Snapchat app on your device.
2. Select 'Camera', 'Friends' or 'Discovery Screen'.
3. Tap the magnifying glass icon.
4. Select 'Map', then tap the cog icon to access 'Settings'.
5. In your "Settings", set your location visibility to "Ghost Mode".
6. You will then have three options for how long you wish to remain hidden: "3 hours", "24 hours" or "Until it is turned off".
Where are you in the world?
Whether you're looking to change your location for security reasons or just to access more filters, knowing how to do it is a great hack.
With our increasingly virtual lives, we need to keep up to date with all the latest features in social media apps. The geolocation features available on Snapchat were part of an automatic update.
Although the Snap card offered by Snapchat can sometimes be useful, I'm sure you don't want your whereabouts to be tracked all the time. This can be especially true if you aren't too close to all of your Snapchat friends or don't know some of them.
Have you tried changing your Snapchat location? What was your reason? Tell us more about your experience in the comments section below.