Your display name is an integral part of the VRChat world. It notifies other players they are chatting with, allowing them to decide if they want to continue chatting. Over time your name preferences may change and you may wish to use a different nickname. But how do you do that?
Read on to learn more about how to change your VRChat name. You'll find out how to do this on multiple platforms, including Steam and Oculus.
How to change your name in VRChat for Steam
The name with which you first register for your VRChat sessions is your username. You cannot change it and you use it to log into the game.
However, you can change your display name. This is the name that other players see on your avatar. By default, this is the same as your username, but you can change it once every 90 days.
Here is what you need to do to change your display name in VRChat:
- Go to your VRChat home page and enter your login credentials.
- Tap the "Profile" button displaying your name, avatar thumbnail, and status.
- This next window allows you to edit your account details, including the display name.
- Enter the new display name and enter it again to verify your decision.
- Save the changes.
- Start a new chat session to see if it works correctly.
Be sure to type the new display name correctly and use between four and 15 characters. Also, it cannot be the same as someone else's username or display name.
Keep in mind that this will only change your display name. The username you must use to log into the game will remain the same.
Also consider a few crucial community guidelines when changing the display name. It may not contain any coarse or offensive language, nor may it impersonate other users. Names that violate the game's Terms of Service and Community Guidelines may need to be changed.
Again, remember that the display name can only be changed once every three months. You cannot exceed this limit, so be very careful when choosing a new name.
How to change your name in VRChat for Oculus
Changing your VRChat display name is also possible if you are an Oculus user. The process remains the same:
- Go to the VRChat home page and log in with your username and password.
- Tap the "Profile" button to reveal your avatar's thumbnail, status, and name. You will now see your display name and other account information.
- Enter and re-enter a unique display name.
- Save your changes and test the name by starting a new game.
Oculus also lets you change your username. Once you do, the name will be publicly visible and available on all Oculus devices. The username can be changed once every six months or once every six months.
Follow these steps to change your Oculus username:
- Launch your browser and head to secure.oculus.com.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Tap on the “Profile” window on the left side of your screen.
- Go to the "Username" window.
- Click on the “Edit” button.
- Enter your new username and password.
- Hit the "Save" button, followed by "Confirm" and you're done.
Additionally, you should know the specific Oculus username requirements:
- Your name must start with a number or letter. Other symbols are not allowed.
- The username must be between 2 and 20 characters.
- Your username can include a combination of numbers, letters, underscores, and hyphens. However, it cannot contain consecutive underscores or dashes.
- The name should not include periods, slashes, and spaces.
How do I change my email address in VRChat?
While changing your VRChat name, you may also want to enter a new email address. Fortunately, this is also a relatively simple process:
1. Log in to VRChat using the game homepage.
2. Press the "Edit Profile" button. The app may not require login verification unless you are entering the platform from a new location.
3. Enter your new email address in the empty box.
4. Tap "Edit Email" and that's it.
Virtual reality account management
Changing your name in VRChat is simple but very beneficial. This can help reinforce the impression you want to leave in your chat sessions. Be careful when choosing a new name and remember to follow the guidelines to avoid trouble.
How many times have you changed your VRChat display name? Are you playing the game on Steam or Oculus? Let us know in the comments section below.