If you're new to Reddit, one of the first things you'll notice after setting up your account is having a default username. But what if you want to replace it with something less generic than Virtual-Image561 or Traditional_Rate7196? If this is a change you want to make, we have you covered.
In this article, we'll show you how to change your (new) username, birthday, style, age, and more on Reddit.
How to change your username on Reddit?
In 2022, Reddit revealed to the Wall Street Journal that it had 52 million daily users. That's 52 million usernames! If you want to stand out from the crowd of randomly assigned usernames, you'll have to make this change yourself. Fortunately, this is a quick and easy process that only involves a few steps.
Important note: This guide only explains adding a new username if you are a new user still using your randomly assigned username. Once you replace it with a new one, you cannot make any username corrections under that account. Therefore, be wise in your decision!
How to change your username on Reddit on iPhone?
If you are an iPhone user and want to change your Reddit username, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Reddit app on your iPhone, register or login to your new account, click on your avatar, then tap the " My profile " option. The account must be fairly recent with a name assigned by Reddit to work.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm whether you want to use your randomly assigned username or change it to a new one. Press on “Change username. »
- Type the username you want to use. Please note that this is a one-time action and you will not be able to make corrections later. Press on " Next " in the upper right corner.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm that you want to use this username forever. Press on “Save username. »
You have now changed your username. We'll quote Reddit here: “May it serve you well.
Please note that if you have already registered with a username (not assigned by Reddit) or if you have had a name assigned by Reddit for a while, you cannot make changes to it. You can only change your display name at this point. What you can do in this case is to register with a new account and choose another username.
How to change your username on Reddit on Android?
If you are an Android user and want to change your Reddit username, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Reddit app on your Android device. Log in with your existing and fairly recent Reddit account or sign up with a new one.
- Click on your avatar in the upper left corner. Press the " My profile " option.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm whether you want to use your randomly assigned username or change it to a new one.
- Press “Change username. »
- Type the username you want to use. Please note that this is a one-time action and you will not be able to make corrections later.
- Press " Next " in the upper right corner.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm that you want to use this username forever.
- Press “Save username. »
Please note that if you previously registered with a username not assigned by Reddit or have an old username assigned by Reddit, you will not be able to change it. What you can do is register with a new account and choose another username.
Other Reddit Account Changes
How to change your birthday on Reddit?
If you see a cake icon appearing randomly next to your username, you might think you've set your birthday incorrectly. What's happening here is your Reddit birthday. Cake Day on Reddit is the anniversary of the date you joined the platform.
Reddit doesn't ask for your birthday (not even when you sign up) and there's no option to add it to your profile. Also, there is no way to change your “Cake Day”.
How to change style on Reddit?
Have you set a flair for a specific subreddit post and are now looking for ways to change it? If so, it is a relatively simple process. However, be aware that flairs are individual for each subreddit. Some subreddits do not allow adding or editing flairs.
- Go to the subreddit that allows its users to change styles.
- Find your username in the sidebar.
- Click on the “Change flair” option next to your username.
- A new options window will appear. You can then change your flair for that specific subreddit.
How to change your age on Reddit?
Maybe you created your account when you were underage, so you didn't have access to the NSFW stream. Or maybe you want to let your underage cousin use your account, but you don't want them to access inappropriate content.
Since Reddit doesn't ask for your age when creating an account, you can only change the NSFW setting on your settings page. Here's how to do it:
- Log in to your Reddit account on your computer.
- Click on your avatar in the top right.
- Go to the "User Settings" page.
- Go to the "Profile" section and scroll down to the "Profile Category" subsection.
- For underage users, disable the NSFW button. For users over 18, turn it on.
Note: You may confuse your account age with your real age and then try to correct it. "Cake Day" is tied to your Reddit age and not your age or birthday in any way. That's why you can't make changes to it.
How to change your email on Reddit?
Connecting your Reddit profile to the correct email address is essential if you want to make any changes to your account. You may have registered incorrectly with your business address and now want to change it to your private address. Doing it is easier than you think. Just follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Reddit account on your preferred device.
- Go to the top right corner and click the down arrow next to your username.
- Go to the “Account” section.
- Under the "Account Preferences" tab, you will see two options: Email Address and Change Password.
- You will see your current email in the Email address section. Click "Edit" next to it.
- A new pop-up will appear asking you to insert your current Reddit password for verification.
- Type your password, then add your new email in the next box.
- Click "Save Email" when you're done.
- You will see a new window indicating that a confirmation email has been sent to your new address. Click "Understood" to finish.
- Open your mailbox and find the verification link in the email.
- Click on it to secure your Reddit account. The link will automatically redirect you to your Reddit homepage now.
In conclusion, maybe you wanted to change your teenage username on Reddit, but you were disappointed because it's not something you can do. Allowing one username forever is Reddit's way of fighting cybercrime. The only time you can change your username is when setting up your account.
What Reddit is really about is community, discussion, and the exchange of ideas. Your name and age mean nothing here. That's why there's not even an option to add your birthday. However, they ask for your gender when registering.
Additional Reddit Username FAQs
How do I correct my username?
Unfortunately, Reddit does not allow correcting usernames. You are only allowed to choose one username forever. What you can do is create a new account with a new name. Just keep in mind that activity from your previous account will not be synced to the new one, even if you sign up with the same email.
What is flair?
In a nutshell, flair is a tag you see next to a username or post title in specific subtitles that allow it. You can often see people from a particular group (like fans of famous basketball clubs) putting on the same flair as a sign of recognition. Flairs are also useful for filtering out content you don't want to show on your feed. You can add flairs by going to a specific subreddit and looking for the “Add Flair” option in the “Community Details” sidebar on the right.