While The Sims 4 is full of thoughtful features, workwear isn't one of them. Many users dislike their Sims' outfits. They often don't showcase their character's profession in the best light, and even if their characters gain a promotion, the clothing sometimes reverts to that of their previous position.
You want to change their attire to rectify this problem, but how do you do that?
In this entry, we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to change work outfits in The Sims 4. You will also find out how to change NPC work outfits for a unified look.
How to Change Work Clothes in The Sims 4
Changing work clothes in The Sims 4 can be tricky, as the game itself does not support this feature. Luckily, you can use a cheat code to overcome this hurdle called “Change Career Outfit”. It allows you to implement all your clothing ideas to make your Sims' career more attractive.
Before you can redeem this code, you must first enable cheats in your game. If you haven't enabled cheats yet, here's how:
- Enter the key combination “Ctrl, Shift and C”.
- You will now see a window in the upper left part of your screen. Go to your search bar.
- Type the following line:
testingCheats [true] or testingCheats [on]
- Press the Enter button and you can now enter your cheat codes. If that doesn't work, try entering the "testingCheats [true]" line without the square brackets.
Once you have activated the cheat console, you can activate the "Change Career Outfit" cheat. Follow the next steps:
- View your cheat code console.
- Type the following line:
- Press "Enter" and CAS (Create A Sim) mode should be launched.
- Create the desired outfit using your clothing collection.
Each time you design a new work outfit, your Sims' career will not be affected by the change. They will continue to work as before, but their attire will be different. Everything else will also be intact, including social interactions. That's why the cheat code is very handy.
But keep in mind that some work uniforms are not meant to be worn outside of specific buildings or work spaces. You can't even find them through CAS mode. Therefore, if you exchange these uniforms for one of your own, you may not be able to undo the change. To avoid this scenario, be sure to check if your current work clothes are free to use.
Another way to change your Sims' work attire is to use a mod called "Planning Career Attire." The mod adds interactions to all dressers, Get Together closets, and mirrors. It can also be embedded into any object that already features Change Sim interactions, meaning it will automatically work with custom content creations.
The only downside is that the mod is only compatible with Sims who have a job that grants them uniforms. They must also be at least in their Teens.
Here is what you need to do to use the mod:
- Open your browser and download the mod from this site.
- Unzip the downloaded files and install the mod.
- Open The Sims 4 and go to your dresser.
- You should be brought into CAS mode, allowing you to plan your career outfit. Don't change your clothing category to avoid applying the changes to your everyday clothing.
- Design your uniform and press the check mark to exit the mode.
The next time your Sims go to work, they'll be wearing their new outfit.
If you use this interaction on Sims with multiple jobs, it will only allow you to change the outfit of the most recent job. Also, the mod does not support work outfits for child Sims.
Keep in mind that using this mod will require the Scumbumbo XML Injector. This is a mod library that allows mods to use custom snippets instead of scripts for simple mods. It also allows modders to publish their mods without worrying about writing, compiling or maintaining the script.
Follow the steps below to download and install the injector if you haven't already:
- Go to this webpage and download the files.
- Extract them from the zip file in your Sims 4 Mods folder. Install it directly into this folder instead of a subfolder. Otherwise, you may not be able to locate it quickly when updating your script to newer versions.
- Once you've installed the files, make sure your script mods are enabled from the game options.
- Test the XML injector to make sure it works correctly. You can do this using the built-in testing package which adds various testing interactions to your game objects. You can use one of the following six slots in your Sims 4:
- Domestic mailbox
- Computer objects
- By clicking on your Sim
- Clicking on another Sim via friendly chat option
- Home phone category
- Via your Sim's relationship panel
- Choosing these test interactions should send a notification that your injector is working properly. If you can't see the interactions, you may need to reinstall the injector, otherwise it won't work for your "Plan Your Career Outfit" mod.
- After verifying that your injector is working correctly, you can delete the following file: XmlInjector_Test_v2.package
This way, the tests will no longer appear in the circular menus. However, make sure to keep the script file in the Mods folder. If you remove it, other running mods may not work.
Once you have installed and tested the injector, you can get the most out of your attire. The injector will make sure it doesn't conflict with other mods, keeping your game intact and stable.
How to Change an NPC Work Outfit in The Sims 4
Changing an NPC's work outfit is similar to changing your characters' outfits. You will need to bring up the cheat code console again and enter a cheat code:
- Enter »Ctrl + Maj + C«.
- Access the window in the upper left corner of your screen and head to the search bar.
- Type “testingCheats [true]” or “testingcheats [on]”. If the lines don't work, enter them without the square brackets.
- Press the "Enter" button.
- Type the following line:
full edit mode
- Press "Enter" and find the NPC whose work outfit you want to change.
- Press the "Shift and click" key combination on the NPC and choose the "Edit in CAS" option.
- You can now change their work outfit.
How to enable Sims 4 cheats on a Mac?
We've covered what you need to do to enable cheat codes on a PC. The process is the same if you are a Mac user. Here's what it looks like:
1. Enter the following key combination: "Ctrl + Shift + C".
2. You will now see a cheat input window. Type “testingCheats [true]” or “testingcheats [on]”. If the lines don't work, enter them without the square brackets.
3. Hit “Enter” and you are good to go.
How to enable Sims 4 cheats on an Xbox?
Cheats in The Sims 4 can also be accessed through the console. To activate them on your Xbox, follow these steps:
1. While in game, press “LT, LB, RT, RB” on the controller to display the input box.
2. Type “testingCheats [true]” or “testingcheats [on]” with or without the square brackets, whichever works for you.
3. Reopen the input box to enter your cheat codes.
How to enable Sims 4 cheats on a PS4?
Activating Sims 4 cheat codes on a PS4 is as follows:
1. Launch the game and enter the following key combination: L1, L2, R1, R2. This will bring up the input box.
2. Enter “testingCheats [true]” or “testingcheats [on]”.
3. Open the cheat box again to enter your cheat codes. If it doesn't appear, try entering one of the lines above without the square brackets.
Hints in The Sims 4 will be useful, but they can disable trophies and achievements if used on your PS4 or Xbox. Therefore, think carefully about your decision before activating cheat codes.
How do I edit an NPC in The Sims 4?
If you don't like the look of your Sims 4 NPCs, you can change their appearance. You can change their entire appearance, not just their work outfits. Here's how:
1. Open your previously activated cheat console by pressing "Ctrl + Shift + C".
2. Enter the following line: “case. fulleditmode”.
3. Press the "Enter" button.
4. Navigate to the NPC you want to edit and press "Shift and Click".
5. Choose the “Edit in CAS” option and make your changes.
It's time for a sophisticated look
Work clothes can be a huge problem in The Sims 4, but using cheat codes and mods is a great way to fix it. They allow you to change the attire of your Sims and NPCs in minutes to make them more suited to their occupations. So you can create a perfectly dressed workforce regardless of your platform.
Are you a fan of The Sims 4 workwear? Do you know another way to change them? Have you considered changing the Sims 4 NPCs? Let us know in the comments section below.