PS5 controller battery life can range from 12-15 hours depending on usage. It's easy to get caught up in an exciting game and forget about the demands of your controller. But the last thing a gamer wants is for their controller to stop working due to a dead battery.
Luckily, there are two easy ways to check your PS5 controller's battery. In this article, we are going to walk through the process of checking the battery level of your PS5 controller. We'll also answer some common questions about the battery life of a PS5 controller.
How to Check the Controller Battery on a PS5
Not only can a low or dead battery prevent your PS5 controller from working, but it can also cause other types of issues. Worse still, it could force you to give up on your game just when it gets exciting. Whether you use the DualSense wireless controller or any other brand, you need to know how to check the battery charge level to prevent this from happening.
Keep in mind that you cannot use DualSense controllers until you have fully charged them. Once fully charged, you can use them to play games for an average of 12-15 hours. Actual battery life depends on the type of game you play. For example, if you're playing a game that requires a lot of button pressing, your controller's battery might run out in five or six hours.
The easiest and fastest way to check the battery level of your PS5 controller is to use the controller and the PlayStation console. Here's what you need to do:
- Take your PS5 controller and press the "PS" button.
- Go to the "Control Center" tab on your TV screen.
- Use the right button on your controller to go to the "Accessories" folder. The battery percentage will be displayed there.
That's all we can say about it. Battery life will be displayed in bars, so you'll know you need to charge your controller if there's only one bar left. However, your PS5 should also notify you onscreen when it's time to charge your controller's battery anyway. If you choose to charge it then, you will see the on-screen battery bars are animated.
How to Check PS5 Controller Battery on PC
There's another way to check if you need to charge your PS5 controller's battery, and that's with your PC. To be more specific, we'll be using the DS4Windows app, as PS5 DualSense controllers are compatible with the latest app update.
You can use the PS5 DualSense controller with your PC if you play games on Smoking. This is where the DS4Windows application comes in. It helps your controller run more efficiently, while improving your driver's performance while you play video games on your PC. Some gamers prefer to connect their PS5 controller to their PC, as this can extend battery life even further.
Checking the battery of your PS5 controller with the DS4Windows app is simple. Here's what you need to do:
- Connect your PS5 controller to your PC with a USB cable.
Notes: To do this, you need a USB Type-C to USB-A cable.
- Launch the DS4Windows application on your PC.
- Access the “Controller” screen.
- The battery level will be displayed under "Battery".
Once these two devices are connected, your PC will automatically detect the controller battery. You can also connect your PS5 controller to your PC via Bluetooth if your PC supports it.
If you're using Steam, here's how to check your PS5 controller's battery:
- Launch Steam on your PC.
- Go to “Big Picture Mode”.
- Locate the battery icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
If the battery icon is not there, you need to do the following:
- Click the gear icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- In the "Controller" section, go to "Controller settings".
- Under "Detected controllers", find your PS5 DualSense controller.
- Click on the “Identify” button below.
When you return to the main page, you should see the battery percentage in the top right corner of the app.
How to extend the battery life of your PS5 controller?
There is a way to extend the battery life of your PS5 controller. To do this, we will use the PS5 controller and the PlayStation console. Here's what you need to do:
1. Turn on your PlayStation console.
2. Use your controller to access the gear icon in the upper right corner.
3. In the "Settings" menu, scroll down until you find "Accessories".
4. Use the down button on your controller to navigate to "Controllers" in the left sidebar.
5. Select "Vibration Intensity" and choose "Off" from the pop-up menu.
6. Switch to “Trigger Effect Intensity” and turn it off.
7. For 'Controller Indicator Brightness', select the 'Dim' option.
Following these steps will extend your controller's battery life by up to two hours. This method is especially useful when your battery is low and you don't want to stop playing a particular game.
Make sure your PS5 controller is fully charged
There are several ways to check the battery life of your PS5 controller. Whether you choose the quick method with the controller or use your PC, knowing the remaining battery life can save you from frustrating situations. Once you've fully charged your PS5 controller, you can get back to playing video games worry-free.
Have you ever needed to check your PS5 controller battery? How did you do? Let us know in the comments section below.