Your Discord app stores images, GIFs, and videos to speed up load times. While this is a handy feature on the surface, the process can consume too much memory over time. Thus, users can quickly run out of storage space.
Luckily, Discord users can still clear their caches without too much trouble. This may result in slower image load times, but you'll free up a lot of space. Read on to find out how the process works on most platforms.
Comment Clear cache in Discord on an iPhone
The good news is that iPhone users can clear their Discord cache. The bad news, however, is that they have to uninstall the app to do so. That's because iOS doesn't have a direct way to clear cache data on the fly.
So, the only alternative is to uninstall Discord. This clears the cache, but you'll have to reinstall the app again. This process is unavoidable until Apple decides to implement a feature that allows users to manually delete cache data.
Here's how to uninstall Discord from your iPhone:
- Take your iPhone and go to the Settings menu.
- Tap "General".
- Head to “iPhone Storage”.
- Scroll down and find the Discord app.
- Tap it to open the app specifics.
- Choose the “Remove Application” option.
- Select "Remove app" again to confirm your decision.
Once the app is deleted, your cache files will also be deleted. However, if you want to continue using Discord, you'll need to reinstall the app from the App Store. Repeating this process several times can take time, but unfortunately there is no alternative at this time.
Comment Clear the cache in Discord on an Android
Luckily for Android device users, the operating system already allows users to clear Discord cache. The process also works for every app you install.
Although all Android mobile devices are different, there is a general pattern you can follow to clear your cache data. You should easily find your Settings menu by simply swiping down from the home screen or any page.
Here are the general steps to clear your Discord cache on Android:
- On your Android device, find your Settings menu.
- Look for the "Apps" option.
- Find Discord among the list of installed apps.
- Once you scroll down and find Discord, tap on it.
- Locate the "Storage" section and select it.
- The option to clear cache data should be visible.
- Tap on it and confirm your choice.
As each smartphone manufacturer has its own Android-based operating system, the exact steps will likely be different. Even so, the instructions above can work for virtually any Android smartphone in the market.
For example, some cell phones have the option to “clear cache” as soon as you tap on Discord information. Others have the button behind some different options. We recommend familiarizing yourself with your phone's controls before clearing your Discord cache on Android.
Comment Clear cache in Discord on the Windows
If you use Discord on your browser, you don't have to worry about clearing your caches. This section and the one for Mac will only be useful for those who download the desktop Discord client. As you install the Discord client, the software discreetly saves all the images, GIFs, and videos you come across while socializing with others online.
Even though computers have plenty of space compared to smartphones, some users cannot afford to have too many image files saved on their computers. An overloaded PC can also slow down, which is not an ideal situation.
So, if you're looking to clear your Discord cache on Windows, follow these instructions:
- On your Windows PC, click the search bar on the taskbar or in Windows Explorer.
- Type "%appdata%discord" in the text box.
- Press Enter to display the AppData folder.
- In the Discord folder, you will find folders named “Cache”, “Code Cache” and “GPUCache”.
- Highlight the three folders.
- Press the Delete key or right-click and select "Delete".
- Go to your trash.
- Empty it or manually delete the folders permanently.
If you don't delete the folders, the storage space is still occupied by cache files. Only when you permanently delete them will the storage space be freed up. Performing a cache cleanup once a month should free up a lot of space on your hard drive.
Comment Clear the cache in Discord on a Mac
The Discord client is also available on Mac, proof of its popularity. Just like on Windows PCs, you can also find cache folders and safely delete them. If you don't modify the other files, your Discord client will work just fine.
As with Windows, this does not apply to Discord users in the browser.
Here's how the process works on a Mac:
- On your Mac, open the Finder.
- Click "Go".
- Select "Go to Folder".
- Type “~/Library/Application Support/discord/” in the text box.
- In the Discord folder, look for folders named "Cache", "Code Cache", and "GPUCache".
- Highlight them with your cursor.
- Right-click and select "Move to Trash".
- Right-click the Trash icon on your Dock.
- Click "Empty Trash" to permanently delete the cache files.
As you can see, the process is incredibly similar to Windows.
Why clear my Discord cache?
The most compelling reason to clear your cache is to free up storage space. If you've been using Discord for a long time, you'll likely have a lot of saved files in your cache. Smartphone users may find it a waste of storage space.
Unlocking it will allow you to install more apps or even update your mobile games.
Another reason is that Discord saves every image you come across, even illegal content. If you have accidentally seen disturbing and compromising media, you should immediately clear your cache. This way, you won't have any legal problems in case someone finds out.
Time for a purge
Other than iPhone users, everyone should find it easy to clear their Discord cache. The steps take practically no time, a few minutes at most. Deleting your cache files not only frees up storage space but also removes unwanted media.
Did you clear your Discord cache before reading the article? Do you think iPhone users should be able to clear app caches? Let us know in the comments section below.