For many, creating a clone or copy of email drafts is a necessary part of their job. Luckily, this is possible using email templates, a feature already built into Gmail.
Whether you're trying to create a generic email for automated responses to inquiries and payments or just looking for a shortcut to your email response time, Gmail has what you're looking for. In this article, we'll help you create your own email templates on most major devices.
Email templates are a saving grace for any small business owner or anyone who finds themselves saying the same things in the same types of emails. I've used them since I started my own business and they've saved me hundreds of hours over the years.
Email templates can also make you look more professional. You can respond faster and a simple "Thank you for your email, a member of our team will contact you directly within 24 hours" can make a customer feel valued. Considering how easy it is to do, I highly recommend using them.
Creating Email Templates in Gmail on a PC
Gmail calls canned response templates and you need to enable the feature before you can use them. Once done, you can create as many email templates as you want.
- Open Gmail and sign in.
- Now select the Settings cog menu icon at the top right of the screen.
- Then click See all settings.
- Now click on Advanced.
- Then, if it's not already done, select Allow for Models and click Save changes.
- Once Gmail has reloaded, click Compose.
- Type the text you want for your template, then click Suite (the three vertical dots).
- Then click Templates > Save Draft as Template > Save as New Template.
- Finally, name your template and select save.
Creating email templates in Gmail on Android
Similar to PC, you can create a template on your Android device.
- Open the Gmail app and click on the Compose button (+).
- Now type your email and click on the Suite button (the three vertical dots).
- Select Save the draft in the drop-down menu.
Create Email Templates in Gmail on an iPhone
You'll either need to install an app like Email Templates to work with Gmail, or use the built-in Notes app to create email templates.
- Open the Gmail app, scroll down and click on the Compose (the paper and pen icon).
- If you have email templates installed, click the ellipsis (three horizontal dots) and select Insert from Templates by cloudHQ.
You can also create the template using your Notes application.
- From the created email template, click on the icon in the upper right corner of its screen and select the Gmail app.
- The note should now load into the body of the email.
Using your email template
Now that you've created your email template, it's time to use it. When you receive your first opportunity to use the template, follow these steps:
- Open Gmail and click Compose.
- Now click on Suite.
- Then go to Templates > Insert Template and choose your email template.
- Then modify if necessary and click on Send.
You can also do the same using Reply.
Using your email template for automatic replies
Taking the email template one step further, how about setting up a canned response as an automatic response to an incoming email. You'll have to keep your response standardized, but it's a great way to acknowledge orders or queries and build a good relationship with your customer.
- Click the icon in the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Now enter your search criteria and select Create a filter.
- Then click the checkbox to send model, select the model you want to send and click on Create a filter again.
Now, whenever the filter criteria is met, Gmail will automatically send your canned response. This is ideal for acknowledgments or updates and can be configured to trigger in a number of ways. It's impossible for me to list them all here, but you will recognize a pattern in your emails that you can use. For example, all emails sent to your '[email protected]' email address or any email containing the word 'order'. You had the idea.