Since Facebook bought Instagram, the two networks are slowly coming together and offering more integration. If you're a social media marketer, small business owner, or just love sharing content on networks, linking Instagram and Facebook is a no-brainer. You can share content between the two and make the most of the power of visual content. You can even connect to Instagram via Facebook to save precious seconds.
Usually I like to keep the networks separate and not share too much data between them. When it comes to marketing, that changes. It's all about efficiency and getting the widest reach with the least amount of effort. Linking Instagram to Facebook helps achieve this. You can share to both platforms with just one click, so it makes sense to do so.
Link Instagram to Facebook
If you have a Facebook page and an Instagram account, linking the two is easy. Then you can share content seamlessly between the two networks without losing formatting or impact.
- Open Instagram on your phone
- Log in, select your profile, then select the Settings menu.
- Select Account and then tap "Share with other apps"
- Select Facebook and log in with your Facebook account details if you are not logged in on your phone. Give app permissions when asked.
- You will then be asked to configure your Account Center. Choose your Facebook account or tap "Don't you?" to switch accounts, then select Continue.
- Select where to share on Facebook. Tap Continue to complete the Account Center setup.
- Select "Start sharing on Facebook".
Return to the Account Center. Make sure "Share with Facebook" for stories and posts and "Connect with accounts" are both enabled.
If you find that this isn't working for you, all you have to do is go back to the Account Center menu on Instagram. Select Facebook and select Remove from Account Center.
Connect to Instagram via Facebook
Logging into Instagram with your Facebook credentials is simple:
- Open Instagram on your phone.
- Select “Connect with Facebook. »
If you're already logged in to Facebook, you'll log in automatically. If you're not, add your Facebook ID when prompted and select the blue Login button.
If you create a new Instagram account, you can do the same. Install Instagram and select Login with Facebook as above. It will then create an account and link it to your Facebook. The only problem with this is that it will give you a random username and password unless you change it.
To change your default Instagram login information, follow these steps:
- Log in to Instagram using Facebook login.
- Select your profile icon in the bottom right and select Edit profile.
- Select your username and change it to something more personal.
- Return to your profile screen, tap the hamburger icon in the top right, then select Settings.
- Tap Account and then select Personal Information. Check the email address to make sure it is correct. Tap it to edit.
- Return to the settings menu and select Security.
- Select Password from the list to reset.
You should see a notification that says something like "We sent an email to ADDRESS with a link to reset your password." This email address will be the one you have in your account.
You can make these changes on the web if you prefer. Use this link to edit your Instagram profile and this link to request a password reset. The principle is the same, as is the end result.
You can still connect to Instagram via Facebook, but you've now set up your account to be accessible independently as well. Now you can change your profile picture, add bio and edit your Instagram account as you like and it won't affect this login.
How to unlink your Instagram account
So you've linked your two accounts, which means you can cross-publish your content. But what can you do when you no longer want the two to be connected?
Whether you deactivate your Facebook account or simply want to separate the two services, it is possible to do so without losing all your messages. All you have to do is follow the same steps as above, then follow these steps: o
- Open the account center.
- Select "Remove from Account Center" under the Account and Profiles option. 0
Your Facebook profile will retain your Instagram information until you delete it and you will need to delete all of your Instagram posts from Facebook, but more on that here.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I link my account and one is hacked, will the other be compromised as well?
Even after linking your two accounts, they still have a separate login (yes, you can login using the Facebook option on Instagram but they are still separate). If your Instagram account is compromised or vice versa, that doesn't necessarily mean your Facebook account is also at risk. accesses one account, it does not mean that they have access to both.
Can I link multiple Instagram accounts to Facebook?
One of the advantages of both platforms is that you can have multiple accounts or pages under the same username. This means you can easily switch between your work and personal profiles. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYou can link multiple Instagram accounts to the same Facebook page. All you have to do is follow the same steps above for each Instagram account.
Sharing is caring
Linking Instagram to Facebook saves time and makes social media marketing more efficient, but you should use it carefully. Be sure to separate your personal and business accounts and only post relevant content. While there is a lot of crossover between the Instagram audience and the Facebook audience, there are also times when there isn't. Knowing when you can cross-post and when it works is a key skill of a marketer.
All in all, linking the two is a good thing and will not only save you time, but it will also boost your marketing efforts!