While the Wyze Camera devices are great, some of the instructions for setting them up aren't so clear. Connecting a Wyze camera to new Wi-Fi is one of those gray areas. There is not much information about this common problem.
When you move house or change ISPs, you change your Wi-Fi connection, and Wyze should have thought of that at some point. However, this process is not as tricky as it seems. Either way, it's quite unintuitive and takes longer than it should.
Read on to learn how to properly connect your Wyze camera to a new Wi-Fi connection.
Toggle Wi-Fi Connections on Your Wyze Camera
The best way to connect a Wyze camera to new Wi-Fi is to treat the situation as if you were installing a brand new Wyze camera. You should not delete any of the previous settings or try to adjust your old Wyze Cam. Although you're using the same device, treat it as a new one when setting up a new Wi-Fi connection.
This scenario means you need to go through the standard setup process for your Wyze Cam. If you connected with your camera a long time ago or forgot the steps, you're in luck.
Remember that a Wyze camera requires a power source (power outlet or USB port), a smartphone app from the App Store or Google Play Store, and an internet connection. Since you already own a Wyze camera, you already know the drill and you probably already have the app.
Make sure your app is updated, and if there are firmware updates available, do that too. Finally, let's move on to setting up your Wyze camera's Wi-Fi. Here's what to do.
Steps to Connect Wyze Cameras to New Wi-Fi
- Launch the Wyze app on your Android or iPhone.
- Sign in if you haven't set the app to remember you.
- Connect your Wyze camera to the USB port or a power outlet. Wait for it to flash yellow (about thirty seconds).
- Press and hold the "Setup" button on the back of the camera until you hear the automated "ready to connect" prompt.
- Go back to the phone app and click on the ellipsis (three dots) in the upper right corner of your screen. Tap "Add Product" and add your device using the correct name (Wyze Cam, Pan, Sensor, Bulb).
- The configuration window will appear. Follow the instructions and give it time if needed.
- You will be prompted to choose a 2,4 GHz Wi-Fi network and enter your password. Wyze Cams do not work on 5GHz networks, so keep that in mind. Connect to your new Wi-Fi using the current password.
- Then scan the QR code on the app with your Wyze Cam. When it scans the QR code, you hear a voice command, "Scan QR code." Press the “I heard the voice command” button.
You can now choose a new label for your Wyze Cam, using the device settings (gear icon) after selecting it from the device list. Just tap the name and enter a new one.
If you have multiple Wyze cameras that you need to connect to a new Wi-Fi network, repeat these steps for each one until you've configured them all. You can make other customizations yourself, choosing motion and sound detection, etc.
Enjoy your new Wyze camera setup
It's unfortunate that you have to go through the whole setup process again when you only change your Wi-Fi network, but as of now (October 2022) that's your only option.
Maybe in the future, Wyze will introduce a new innovative system that recognizes a new network and makes it easier for you to connect to it. Until then, use this tutorial and you can switch to new networks on as many cameras as you want.