If you want to get an audio file from a video, you will need to convert MP4 to MP3. MP3 files are supported by any device that streams music, which is one of the most common reasons for conversion. Fortunately, dozens of programs and applications allow you to do this with just a few clicks.
If you want to convert MP4 to MP3, you have come to the right place. In this article, we'll discuss the best apps to do it across multiple platforms and provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Mac
If you are a Mac user and want to convert MP4 to MP3, we have good news for you: there are many applications that allow you to do it quickly and easily.
The app we recommend for conversion is the “Free MP3 Converter” app. Apart from converting MP4 to MP3, this application can process more than 200 audio and video formats. Moreover, it improves the quality of MP3 files if the volume is too low.
The app offers a free and premium version. If you choose the free option, you will have limited options available. The premium version offers features like batch file conversion or adding effects. Follow the steps below to install the app and convert your files:
- Open the Mac App Store and type “To MP3 Converter Free” in the search bar, or visit this website.
- Install the app on your Mac.
- Log in and configure the application.
- Select the file formats you want to convert.
- Drag and drop the MP4 file into your device's app or browser to select it.
- Once converted, save the file.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Windows 10 PC
Several applications allow you to convert MP4 files to MP3 on Windows 10. Our recommendation is the "Vidmore Video Converter." » Keep in mind that this app has a free and paid version. With the free version, you can only convert five minutes of a video file.
- Download the application from this website.
- Install the app and choose the free trial.
- Tap the plus sign to add the MP4 file or drag and drop it into the app.
- On the right side, tap "MP4".
- Tap "Audio" and then select the first MP3 option.
- In the lower left corner, choose the destination folder for the MP3 file.
- Select "Convert All".
- Tap "Continue Free Trial".
Your MP4 file will now be converted and saved in the preferred folder. If you want to convert more than five minutes of material, save the file in high quality, add different effects to the file, etc., you will need to purchase a subscription.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on iPhone
If you want to convert MP4 files to MP3 and you're using an iPhone, you'll be happy to know that there's a free app you can use. Its name is “Media Converter – video to MP3”, and we will walk you through the process:
- Go to App Store and download “Media Converter – Video to MP3” or tap on link to do so.
- Open the app and tap the plus sign in the top right corner.
- Choose the video you want to convert. You can import it from your folders, camera roll, or iCloud Drive.
- Now that you've added it to the library, tap the "i" icon on the right.
- Tap "Extract Audio" and customize the settings. You can extract a specific part of the video, adjust the volume, etc.
- Tap "Start Conversion".
- Once converted, the file will appear in the library. Tap the "i" icon on the right.
- Choose whether you want to share the file through an app or save the file to your device.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Android
Android users who want to convert MP4 files to MP3 can find several useful apps in Play Store. The app we recommend is called "Video to MP3 Converter - MP3 Cutter & Merger." "
Apart from converting your video to audio files, the app lets you customize the volume, cut specific parts of the files, and more.
Follow the steps below to use it:
- Go to Play Store and search “Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter and Merger” or go to this link.
- Install and open the app.
- Choose "Video to Audio". The app will ask you for permission to access media and files on your device.
- Select the MP4 file you want to convert.
- Under "Format", select "MP3".
- Press "Convert".
- The file will be converted and saved to your device. You can choose to share it through different apps, set it as a ringtone, etc.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in iTunes
You can convert MP4 files to MP3 in iTunes for Windows or Apple Music app for Mac. If you are using Windows, do the following:
- Open iTunes.
- In the main menu, press "Edit", then "Preferences".
- Select the "General" tab and press "Import Settings".
- From the import menu, choose MP3 Encoder.
- Choose the files you are converting, press "File", then choose "Convert".
- Tap "Create MP3 Version".
Your file will be converted to MP3 and placed in the library. If you want it elsewhere, drag and drop it to the preferred location.
If you are using a Mac, follow the steps below:
- Open Apple Music.
- Tap "Music," then select "Preferences."
- Go to the “Files” tab, then tap “Import Settings”.
- Choose MP3 encoding format.
- Select the files you are converting.
- Select "File", then press "Convert".
- Tap "Create MP3 Version". The MP3 files will appear in your library.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 with VLC
VLC is one of the most popular free media players, and it is available on multiple platforms. It doesn't offer a lot of features to edit and customize your files, but it covers the basics, which is good enough for most users. Here's how to convert your files with VLC Player:
- If you don't already have it, download the player from this website and open it.
- Select "Media" and choose the "Convert/Save" option.
- Press "Add" and select the file you want to convert.
- Select "Convert/Save".
- Go to “Profile” and choose “Audio – MP3”.
- Press "Browse" and choose where you want to save the file.
- Select "Start".
Once the process is complete, your file will be saved in the folder of your choice.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in Audacity
Audacity is another free app available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Along with other options, you can use it to convert MP4 files to MP3. To be able to do this, you will need to install the FFmpeg library, without which Audacity cannot convert your files. Here's how:
- If you haven't already, download Audace and open it.
- If you are on Windows, press "Edit" and open "Preferences". If you're on a Mac, tap "File," then select "Preferences."
- Open the "Libraries" tab.
- Tap "Download" next to "FFmpeg Library". You will be redirected to the FAQ section of the FFmpeg library. Open the installation section for your operating system to access the instructions.
- Once you have installed the FFmpeg library, open the folder containing the MP4 file you want to convert and drag and drop it into Audacity.
- Tap "File" and select "Export to MP3" under "Export." Choose the destination of the MP3 file.
When the conversion is complete, the file will be saved in the selected folder.
Convert MP4 to MP3 for Free
Converting MP4 files to MP3 allows you to save favorite tracks from videos and listen to them whenever you want. Most apps require you to purchase a subscription, but we've put together this list of free apps or ones with free trials that allow conversion without paying. Although most free versions limit the number of options available, they get the job done.
How to convert MP4 files to MP3? Do you use any of the apps we mentioned above? Tell us in the comments section below.